Mixing paint - Feel 'The Farce'...

Dances With Wolves

1Reduced-1_zpsilumf5ca.jpgL

Like cutting parts from sprues, mixing paint may seem as straightforward as breathing but it was Jon Bius, head honcho, monkey master and leader of Llamas at The Diary Of Abernathy https://www.jonbius.com who made me aware of the Badger electric paint stirrer. Before that point, it was the Tamiya paint paddle you see in the foreground for me, accompanied by furious wrist action like I’d never known, although my wife greeted this declaration with her doubtful face, followed by peels of shrieking laughter…

Although the instructions didn’t specify their use, I soon ditched expendable AA batteries for rechargeables and these are by far the best from all perspectives. A pack of four means ‘two in’ and two on standby. All told, it’s a simple bit of kit but no amount of manual stirring can get close to the Badger’s ability to ruthlessly blitz within seconds, your recalcitrant paint pigment back into solution. From  Tamiya and Gunze acrylics to Humbrol enamels, the resulting base paint is just plain creamy – no lumps, bumps or ‘paint asteroids’ to clog that .35 airbrush nozzle, just smooth, sexy paint as nature intended.

35mm plastic film canisters are my standard mixing receptacles and once again, the thinned paint is shown no mercy, as the Badger ensures the best possible airbrush ready paint. The clear(ish) liquid at the right hand back of shot is cellulose thinner in a battered bottle that’s been my cleaning station for the Badger, since acquisition. Having come out of the now mixed base paint and wiped off with some clean tissue, the Badger is dipped in the cellulose and triggered for a few seconds – enough to shed any remaining colour. A further wipe clean and it’s all set to go again. It takes longer to read about than actually do it.

But like The Force, there is a ‘Dark Side’ to this perfect paint pummeller. The only defence is constant vigilance. What follows will frighten horses and terrify small children, Viewer discretion is advised.

Picture the scene. Your current project sits comfortably on the bench, a secure distance from the ‘wet area’. Just one more colour to airbrush. You blitz the freshly thinned paint and reach for the cleaning station but this time your finger, that you’ve routinely left resting on the trigger slide for months, slips forwards in transit to the lacquer cleaner. From this point, time slows down. Like the moments before a car crash; you can see what’s coming but are powerless to alter the events or consequences.

All sounds in the modelling area and outside are blanked out. There is only the low, gravid hum of the motor as the shaft momentarily reaches maximum rpm in a fatal fraction of a second, accompanied by that familiar vibration through your hand. Then three things occur simultaneously. Your reactions catch up and pull back the trigger slide. Your conscious mind registers the unthinkable. Your eyes begin a terrible journey. It begins with the concentration of paint, that begins directly under the stirring disc and leads away, away across the modelling space and out of the ‘wet area’. The orientation of the paint fling is governed by an as yet, unpublished rule of the universe. The precise wording I’ve come to understand translates into something like this – ‘the layout and design of your modelling space is immaterial; wherever you position your model, it won’t affect the outcome, your puny human intentions are rendered impotent before the power of ‘The Farce’.

So, you look towards the model. The unerring accuracy is almost beautiful. You recall gun camera footage from a diving P-47, attacking a parked Ju52 and how the line of rounds march towards, up and over before continuing on a short distance. It mirrors what you see now – a perfect line of paint droplets leading towards, up and over before…

…continuing across the front lens element of your camera you left with the cap off behind the model. Regret is only compounded by there being no protective UV filter fitted…

So, regard your Badger as a ‘best friend’ but one commensurate with a live firearm with no ‘safety’, other than your trigger finger staying firmly off the firing button. Beyond that, it’s all gravy…

• Like 9

I use an Ikea 'Produkt' coffee-frother for the same purpose, but aside from that small difference, what you describe is evidently a rite of passage for the user of an electric paint-stirrer  Nodding yes

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Ouch - I've recently "invested" a full 90 pence on Amazon - for 100 x 3mm ball bearings to pop into my little vallejo model air bottles.

I have on more than one occasion gone for a full on shaking session - only to find that the lid of my old humbrol tinlets wasn't as secure as I had hoped.  The result - I found dried paint scrapes easy enough off window panes - but not wall paper or the desk DOH!!!

I do find an old sock is a good insurance policy to avoid this - pop the tinlet in & shake away.

My new desk is now covered with 4mm toughened glass (with polished edges) - everything comes off with a razor blade - even super glue - result.

39 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I think I'll stick to my bamboo skewers & vigorous wrist action, an old & trusted friend. :)

Steve.

No one should be without bamboo skewers they are brilliant - I use them with a lump of blu tak on the end for spraying small parts & them jab the skewer into a bigger lump to stand & dry :clap2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I do find an old sock is a good insurance policy

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

vigorous wrist action, an old & trusted friend.

fnar.jpeg

I too used to use the Ikea stirrer, chopped off the ‘frother’ bit and just bent the shaft 90°. After a couple of near misses it was soon damned to eternally gather dust.

Plastic shot glasses, good ‘ol bamboo skewers and cocktail sticks are my weapons of choice nowadays. Cheap as chips and no faffing about having to clean them.

Mart

• Like 5

I got a (used) medical vortex mixer for test tubes. Touch the bottle to the rubber pad and after 30-60 seconds it's fully mixed. Works better with Vallejo type dropper bottles, but is easy on the wrist and no mess to clean up...as long as I keep the lid on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greenshirt said:

I got a (used) medical vortex mixer for test tubes. Touch the bottle to the rubber pad and after 30-60 seconds it's fully mixed. Works better with Vallejo type dropper bottles, but is easy on the wrist and no mess to clean up...as long as I keep the lid on. 

sounds very interesting - I always assumed this kind of agitator would actually cause all the components to separate to their own level - rather than mix it up - I suppose the clue is in the name "vortex mixer" - how much would one of these be???

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

"vortex mixer" - how much would one of these be???

A new one is currently $70 USD on Amazon

I got mine refurbished for $45 off either FB or Pinterest or Craig's List; don't remember and the price included shipping. At the time they were $125 new in Amazon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenshirt said:

A new one is currently $70 USD on Amazon

I got mine refurbished for $45 off either FB or Pinterest or Craig's List; don't remember and the price included shipping. At the time they were $125 new in Amazon. 

That's not too bad - thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I've been vacillating as to whether I should get one of these Badger paint mixers. I never, ever shake paint bottles, but instead use glass stirring rods - those who took chemistry in school will remember them, they're cheap from eBay, and very easy to clean thoroughly. I'm far less likely to splash it all over with these than with the Badger...

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

Has anyone tried one of these for paint mixing?

No. But a review of these types of shakers by a modeler, buying one specifically for model paint, was why I chose the swirling mixer. On Amazon it's essentially This mixer, or a variation which has only a 54% 5-star rating. Most comments are cool, even if 4-5 stars are given. The Etsy Typhoon is what I eventually purchased, but I paid much less than the current price. I was on a waiting list but got it before they raised the price. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

Yes I have one and it is very good. If your paint has settles right to the bottom then you need a stir in the bottom to get it free. After that pop it on this little beauty and it will stirr your heart strings.

Laurie

• Like 1

Think that was small beer Dance with Wolves.

Consider a 5 litre tin of Dulux Emulsion in garage.

Consider an idiot--he looks like me.

Consider idiot putting-- great idea he had-- a long  Alan key into the chuck of a rodent Black and Decker drill.

Consider idiot inserting Alan key into paint can. Idiot congratulating my self. Whoops gave away it was me.

Consider idiot switching on drill. Me !

Consider an event where Alan Key tries to escape through the side of paint can. :crying:

Consider the can deciding it has had enough and goes for an athletic race around the Black and Decker Drill. :nerd:

No need to consider the next bit. An hour to clear up the garage of near 5 litres of white emulsion.

Worse consider the humiliation of my wife appearing to share the rumpus. She said you do look funny :angry:

Laurie Alan Key

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Think that was small beer Dance with Wolves.

Consider a 5 litre tin of Dulux Emulsion in garage.

Consider an idiot--he looks like me.

Consider idiot putting-- great idea he had-- a long  Alan key into the chuck of a rodent Black and Decker drill.

Consider idiot inserting Alan key into paint can. Idiot congratulating my self. Whoops gave away it was me.

Consider idiot switching on drill. Me !

Consider an event where Alan Key tries to escape through the side of paint can. :crying:

Consider the can deciding it has had enough and goes for an athletic race around the Black and Decker Drill. :nerd:

No need to consider the next bit. An hour to clear up the garage of near 5 litres of white emulsion.

Worse consider the humiliation of my wife appearing to share the rumpus. She said you do look funny :angry:

Laurie Alan Key

Sir - I prostrate myself before the prince of paint, the crown king of carnage, the lord of lunacy! Verily, thine example sits above all others and doth render mine own miniature example puny as a mouse to an elephant! :lol:   

Or words to that effect... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dances With Wolves said:

Sir - I prostrate myself before the prince of paint, the crown king of carnage, the lord of lunacy! Verily, thine example sits above all others and doth render mine own miniature example puny as a mouse to an elephant! :lol:   

Or words to that effect... 

Prostrate wow had a scare 3 months ago blood test not good. Last week another and all OK.  :angel:

Verily I do not want or need accolades. Just my paint back  :rage:

Laurie

• Like 1

I have a trumpeter stirrer and love it to bits, I happen to be on the clumsy side so I forecasted that I may have an issue at some point where paint would be splattered all over the work area by my clumsy finger on the switch of the stirrer.

So here is my trademarked solution, get the cardboard roll centre from the next roll of toilet paper that is finished, slip it over the chosen paint bottle/jar and mark it about 1 inch or 2.54cm if you are EU inclined above the rim of the bottle/jar, then cut it there. You now have a perfect fitting guard for paint mixing, if you give the stirrer a quick wiz on the way out of the paint bottle/jar you'll find it gets rid of any excess paint.

I'll grab a couple of photos in a few minutes and posts them here.

So here is my solution to avoid the issue mentioned in the first post:

The stirrer and the "guard":

33652017381_1eba42e0ec_c.jpgIMG_0748 by Neal, on Flickr

The jar ready for the stirrer the guard is in place:

33652017671_c6331c6d72_c.jpgIMG_0749 by Neal, on Flickr

And action:

33652018401_7c42f3b3ee_c.jpgIMG_0750 by Neal, on Flickr

Paint is nicely stirred now and time to get the excess off the stirrer:

33652018861_1911a414bc_c.jpgIMG_0751 by Neal, on Flickr

33652019381_6c0716e49f_c.jpgIMG_0752 by Neal, on Flickr

The "guard" has seen some use:

33652020931_fb7cdc2c91_c.jpgIMG_0754 by Neal, on Flickr

I hope this helps anyone else who suffers from being a clumsy clot!

Edited by NealParkes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NealParkes said:

I have a trumpeter stirrer and love it to bits, I happen to be on the clumsy side so I forecasted that I may have an issue at some point where paint would be splattered all over the work area by my clumsy finger on the switch of the stirrer.

So here is my trademarked solution, get the cardboard roll centre from the next roll of toilet paper that is finished, slip it over the chosen paint bottle/jar and mark it about 1 inch or 2.54cm if you are EU inclined above the rim of the bottle/jar, then cut it there. You now have a perfect fitting guard for paint mixing, if you give the stirrer a quick wiz on the way out of the paint bottle/jar you'll find it gets rid of any excess paint.

I hope this helps anyone else who suffers from being a clumsy clot!

Absolutely brilliant solution :clap2::clap2::clap2:Thanks for sharing Neal

There’s always this method.

https://youtu.be/BMmMls-GYOI

I tried it many years ago, but got fed up with picking Vallejo bottles off the floor when they slipped out.  (I used the old original Minicraft version of the clamp)

I suppose you could convert the quick grip clamp by adding blocks of wood with depressions to hold the bottle more securely.

Mart

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:38 AM, BIG X said:

I've recently "invested" a full 90 pence on Amazon - for 100 x 3mm ball bearings to pop into my little vallejo model air bottles.

Sorry to quote myself - but I thought a quick update was in order - a test in water proved the ball bearings rust after just 24 hours - Oh how I wish I had run the test before contaminating 22 bottles of paint - we all live & learn - £50+ down the drain - well in the bin actually :doh:

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, BIG X said:

Another quick update - I bought one of these off Amazon (other rip off sites are available) & it works brilliantly - for now.  It makes a bit of a racket - but boy does make your paint smooth.  I have been using it for a couple of weeks now - purchased early April 2017.

If anyone wants an update at some point in the future - to see if it survives - just ask - if it breaks you can be sure I will tell you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Another quick update - I bought one of these off Amazon (other rip off sites are available) & it works brilliantly - for now.  It makes a bit of a racket - but boy does make your paint smooth.  I have been using it for a couple of weeks now - purchased early April 2017.

If anyone wants an update at some point in the future - to see if it survives - just ask - if it breaks you can be sure I will tell you.

Make sure the top is on----tight :please:

Make sure the rubber band is secure in its hook. :yikes:

Laurie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

Make sure the top is on----tight :please:

Make sure the rubber band is secure in its hook. :yikes:

Laurie

Thanks Laurie

It's OK - I have "previous" on the loose cap front :doh:That's how I learned that humbrol dark green comes off glass "windows" a treat - with a razor blade - if you let it dry.  Sadly the same could not be said for the wallpaper & desk.  :lol:  I resorted to using an old sock to put paint tins in - prior to vigorous shaking after that.

The Vallejo bottles seem a lot easier to handle than both the old & new humbrol pots & even the nifty Tamiya glass jars that I do like.