Swinging Soviet style - KH Su-17 - Initial progress

eng

This beauty arrived yesterday and with the best of intentions I want to finish another swing-winger first (Revell's 1/48 Tornado), but I know what I'm like and there's every chance I'll cave and start this sooner. I've always wanted to build an Su-17/22 so when the KH CAD shot appeared last year it was merely a waiting game! 

A3D0350E-5A66-4409-8F9C-B680164C7AB7_zps

Im surprised there hasn't already been one started here, and the kits come in for quite a bit of stick online (so did Revell's Tornado mind you and mines been a pleasure so far!) so I'm looking forward to seeing if this really is that bad. 

The he box and content is certainly impressive so far, will post a few more pics tomorrow.

Eng

Edited by eng
  • Like 6

any

On 19.3.2017 at 1:04 AM, eng said:

Im surprised there hasn't already been one started here, and the kits come in for quite a bit of stick online (so did Revell's Tornado mind you and mines been a pleasure so far!) so I'm looking forward to seeing if this really is that bad. 

The he box and content is certainly impressive so far, will post a few more pics tomorrow.

Eng

any update???

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, eng said:

Hey, Eng! :frantic: Howdy, my mate?

Wow, yer model box is in such a pristine state! Mine arrived as tho the postman had brought it kickin' it all 'em way down here (from Hong Kong).

Had to place several weights over the lid in order to make 'em wrinkles level.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

Ahhh, sorry guys the old 1/1 scale airliner project has interfered with my intentions since I posted this pic (it's an A319 this week!)

I have browsed through the box a good few times, fondled the plastic, formulated some ideas and the instruction booklet has become my bedtime reading! I'll try and get a few more pics up before the end of the week, I'm conscious that Mike has already put these up so will try and do something a little different.

Production won't commence until I'm back from an upcoming break, but my resistance to starting this kit is low, very low. My biggest dilemma so far is do I go for an out the box build, or see what aftermarket decals start to appear. Quite like the idea of a grey camo Polish M4 or a Libyan jet. Load-out will be the next issue, so many weapons in the box to choose from.

Right, off to read those instructions again.....

Eng

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hey, Eng! :frantic: Howdy, my mate?

Wow, yer model box is in such a pristine state! Mine arrived as tho the postman had brought it kickin' it all 'em way down here (from Hong Kong).

Had to place several weights over the lid in order to make 'em wrinkles level.

Cheers,

Unc2

Whenever I see someone comment on the posties dubious handling abilities, I always get a flashback to the opening sequence of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective with Jim Carrey :)

Eng

21 minutes ago, eng said:

Ahhh, sorry guys the old 1/1 scale airliner project has interfered with my intentions since I posted this pic (it's an A319 this week!)

I have browsed through the box a good few times, fondled the plastic, formulated some ideas and the instruction booklet has become my bedtime reading! I'll try and get a few more pics up before the end of the week, I'm conscious that Mike has already put these up so will try and do something a little different.

Production won't commence until I'm back from an upcoming break, but my resistance to starting this kit is low, very low. My biggest dilemma so far is do I go for an out the box build, or see what aftermarket decals start to appear. Quite like the idea of a grey camo Polish M4 or a Libyan jet. Load-out will be the next issue, so many weapons in the box to choose from.

Right, off to read those instructions again.....

Eng

Libyian M4? not sure... do not think there is a pic out there of one... Su-22M3s, yes, but those look very different in the back!

no objections on the Polish jet though ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, exdraken said:

Libyian M4? not sure... do not think there is a pic out there of one... Su-22M3s, yes, but those look very different in the back!

no objections on the Polish jet though ;)

Have the slab of a book on the Su-17/22 by Yefim Gordon so not short of info on these, slowly getting to grips with all the variations and designations. The M4 looks slightly more business like with that spine intake at the front of the fin, but I like the idea of an M3 with Libyan markings.

Eng

Just now, eng said:

Have the slab of a book on the Su-17/22 by Yefim Gordon so not short of info on these, slowly getting to grips with all the variations and designations. The M4 looks slightly more business like with that spine intake at the front of the fin, but I like the idea of an M3 with Libyan markings.

Eng

the problem is the Su-22M3 (as the Su-22 and Su-22M) had a different engine (R-29, more or less the same as the MiG-23) leading to a much fatter rear fuselage..... hopefully Kitty Hawk binrg out this version later, their fuselage molding definitely set up for this modification ;)

22 hours ago, exdraken said:

the problem is the Su-22M3 (as the Su-22 and Su-22M) had a different engine (R-29, more or less the same as the MiG-23) leading to a much fatter rear fuselage..... hopefully Kitty Hawk binrg out this version later, their fuselage molding definitely set up for this modification ;)

Ah, so it is! Ok back to plan A

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eng said:

Ah, so it is! Ok back to plan A

You can build M4s from nearly every Fitter user country but Libya, Peru and Hungary . They only used the M, M2  and M3 versions of the Su-22. And then Egypt that did not use the Su-22 at all. Only early Su-17s and Su-20s!

Rverything clear now? ;)

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, eng said:

Whenever I see someone comment on the posties dubious handling abilities, I always get a flashback to the opening sequence of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective with Jim Carrey :)

:rofl: OMG, that's right; me too. Couldn't help but feel alluded by that sequence 'em first time I saw that film. "It sounds broken..."  That oughta have been me when I took delivery of my KH Su-17 kit :lol: 

For those of ye, youngsters, who've ne'er rejoiced in watchin' the intro to Ace Ventura: Pet Detective film, here it is. Just think of it whene'er ya receive a crippled packet.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Made an initial foray into this build this afternoon while I had a quiet half hour, be warned though this will probably be a slow steady build lasting months rather than a 3-4 week effort! 

I've removed the main fuselage sections from the sprues and cleaned up the attachments without too much hassle although these 2 points highlighted in red seemed like a poor choice, nothing that a few minutes with a sharp blade couldn't fix (note the different attachment types at the top and bottom of the fuselage, pins at the top and tabs/slots at the bottom) - 

Aft fuselage halves have a slight mould seam just below the lower airbrake housing but this cleans up easily with a spot of wet n dry without damaging the surface detail - 

It's gonna be a big beast when complete (for a 72nd scale modeller anyway!), standard 30cm steel rule for scale -

Taped together the fit isn't bad but there is no locating tabs or pins for the aft fuse section, presumably if you wish to model the fuselage split showing the engine. There is a very slight difference in profile between these sections too but my intention is to assemble all 3 sections of each half independently, this way I can add plasticard tabs to strengthen the joins and improve the alignment. Surface detail is very nice and lines up beautifully across the halves - 

Last pic for now. Side on there is definitely a bit of of "banana-ism" to the fuselage, there's been much discussion about the shape of the lower fuselage and I believe the mid section should be of constant profile. The kit does seems to pinch in a bit much. I'm sure there's an aftermarket correction in work for this, but for this build I'll live with it as once its on its gear and tooled up for business it won't be noticeable - 

All comments, queries, requests for pics etc, most welcome. Will update again soon.

Eng
  • Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, exdraken said:

Did they have M4s?

No Libyan M4's existed, as exdraken highlighted quite correctly Libyan machines were all M3 and UM3's.

I'm still undecided on a scheme for this build :nah:

Eng

45 minutes ago, eng said:

I'm still undecided on a scheme for this build :nah:

Eng

A very recent Syrian one in a shelter with a Tomahawk coming through the roof ?;)

Or arecently overhauled lranian one? (ex Iraqi!!)

• 2 weeks later...

Made a tentative start on construction of my KH Su-17 the other night but haven't had a chance to update the WIP until now. Pretty much basic's just now to get a feel for the plastic and any real niggles, but despite the press the kits had I'm liking it so far. 

Built up the Nose wheel well which is nicely detailed, still have door operating rods/actuators to be fitted once basic painting is done. Would have been so easy for KH to have made this a simple rectangular box but no, it's properly tapered as would be expected where the inlet ducting would pass. Instructions would have you fit the nose leg at this point but given the way the mount points are shaped (red arrowed items) I don't think fitting later will be an issue.

3a130fc1-e753-4644-b1c8-9f2e2258acb2_zps

Airbrake housings were fitted to the rear fuselage sections and these are a perfect fit to match the curvature of the fuselage. I made the decision to leave out the airbrake actuators at this point as I know I would only break these off again during handling. I'm more than confident they can be trimmed and added later. Check out those ejector pin towers though! These will foul the fit of the engine if not dealt with..... Get out your saw!

7742C004-A31B-47F4-B492-141B2D94592C_zps

Whilst I won't be leaving the rear fuselage as a separate section I couldn't help myself from building the full engine. As an aircraft engineer the temptation to turn this great starting point into a "fully plumbed and wired motor" was almost to much but common sense prevailed in the end!

F3366C8D-041D-43F9-895D-DC09A6695CAA_zps

I slaved the engine into its mounts for a 'look see' and it will help stiffen the fuselage a bit. Looks nice too...., now what about all the plumbing and wiring again!

F2FD71CA-9B8D-4A66-8A42-11E955722A55_zps

Not much to show just now but it has been started. I did also remove and clean up all the main wing sections (inner upper and lower parts plus the single piece outer wings). 

As always I temp fitted it all to get an idea of the size of the beast, it's gonna be pretty big, but did find the the pivot holes in the outer wing pieces are a bit snug for the pivot pins on the inner wing sections, these require a drill/reamer/wet n dry run through them just to get them to sit on correctly never mind swinging.

1A241AEB-8870-47F3-8537-6F6095AB6E6E_zps

Unfortunately I'm not going to get back to this for a week or two but I will post some more progress pics at the next stage.

Eng

Edited by eng
  • Like 2