FAA F4U-1C

barneybolac

I was doing some research on the C model Corsair and was looking at serial numbers on a web site. I was surprised to see that the Royal navy was given several of these rare Corsairs & the link lists the aircraft serial numbers.

Untitled%20bn%20x_zpswvwcrhj0.jpg

Doing a quick search of some of these numbers online it appears that some of these aircraft were in service during the war.

Untitled%20cv_zpsfydxrqft.jpg

Is there any known photos of these planes?

There are histories of all these aircraft in Sturtivant's  "FAA Aircraft 1939-1945" except for JT664, for which there is no information.  There is however no hint that they were anything other than standard Mk.IIs, being part of a batch ordered under Cont No.a(S)198 & requisition No.N-2.  The Bu Nos are in batches from 50460 to 57249: although Sturtivant does not provide individual Bu Nos the histories of the ones you quote agree.  I cannot find any reference to any FAA deliveries from Bu Nos 57966 to 57983

Hi Barney,

Graham's right about this - BuNos 57966 - 57983 never went to the FAA; they were the first 18 F4U-1Cs and were kept by the Navy/Marines.

JT652 thru 669 were build under BuNos 57126 thru 57143; all were F4U-1Ds,

The allotment lists changed several times during the war, depending on who had the greatest need at any given time.  The site you visited probably worked from an earlier list - the final lists are very clear on which aircraft became Corsair IIs.

Cheers,

Dana

Edited by Dana Bell
  • Like 1