Dragon 1:700 'HMS Daring' Type 45 Destroyer

Hi there,

Well, after three and a half months, I'm calling this done!

It was a build of firsts for me, first ship, first airbrushed model, first use of oils etc. Struggled with it sometimes, but in the end I'm happy enough with it. The PE behaved pretty well, but a drawback with 1:700 scale is the plastic will never compare with the thinness of the PE, so it makes the plastic look clunky. To be honest, I don't know if I'd be running out to build another ship, but I have learned a lot with this build! And thanks to Paul E and several others who answered my questions here on BM about the flight deck, I hope what I've done is somewhat accurate!

So here are the pics, I'm trying to improve my photo taking, I didn't quite get it right this time, but I'll keep working on it, just like my modelling!

As usual, all comments/criticism are very welcome!

Thanks...

J.

Kit: Dragon 'HMS Daring' Type 45 Destroyer
Scale: 1:700
Paint & Weathering: Airbrushed with Acrylics. Weathered with Flory Wash, Citadel Nuln Oil & Tamiya Weathering Kits and Oils
Extras: More PE than you can shake a stick at!
Build Log: Here

54%20Finished%201_zpsuue8od3k.jpg

55%20Finished%202_zps2f4msbhv.jpg

56%20Finished%203_zpsl1ktd0gw.jpg

57%20Finished%204_zpsidygp3uu.jpg

58%20Finished%205_zps0afwo9v4.jpg

59%20Finished%206_zpsxpujtn60.jpg

60%20Finished%207_zpsb2za3ju1.jpg

61%20Finished%208_zpstasoyuu3.jpg

62%20Finished%209_zpslo85uhx4.jpg

63%20Finished%2010_zpseb8tytxl.jpg

64%20Finished%2011_zpspgmnue5s.jpg

• Like 15

Hi Jason,

Thank you for posting pictures of your build. It is very nice indeed, quite inspirational. I have been wondering whether I should buy one of these and seeing your model has made me come to the decision that I should do so. Thank you and good job well done! :thumbsup:

Paul

Thanks Paul, Seahawk and Mark!

There is some PE with the kit itself, but I didn't use it, I had the Flyhawk PE Set (FH710007). It comes with three sheets, but strangely enough, the instructions don't cover all three sheets, you have to guess/deduce what some of it is for, and I still ended up with some railings with nowhere to put them! Some of the PE is *VERY* fine (like the 'aerials' between the discs on the mast, several of which broke off) but I do like the detail it adds.

I didn't use the plastic or PE parts for the 8 'poles' on top of the main tower, there were either too thick or too flat, so I just filled in the holes in the plastic and drilled new ones for some Albion Tubing instead.

J.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for being repetitive, but I finally got some better photos (at least I think they are) and I wanted to put them up...

65%20Finished%2012_zpscvj4xo7w.jpg

66%20Finished%2013_zpskihjfooc.jpg

67%20Finished%2014_zpsbpek6tcw.jpg

68%20Finished%2015_zpsktmf150g.jpg

69%20Finished%2016_zpsetwcpwvx.jpg

70%20Finished%2017_zpslhungmlr.jpg

71%20Finished%2018_zpshv38zwq8.jpg

72%20Finished%2019_zpszwbbl1m3.jpg

73%20Finished%2020_zpsqd6ljziu.jpg

74%20Finished%2021_zps2stg7zm9.jpg

75%20Finished%2022_zpshzb3rvh1.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, grahamwalker said:

Got this to do, never realised how over scale the gun barrel was must see if there is AM to replace it, looks like a very good model barr that

Orange Hobby do gun barrels for the 4.5 Mk8 gun in 1:700 scale.