Green Finished Jackals/Coyotes in Estonian Deployment?

John

Still a few sandy nooks and crannies visible and the upholstery kinda stands out.  No black cam visible either.  I never understood why we didn't adopt the almost-NATO-standard 3-colour scheme.  The projected EO sensor mast for Jackals never happened: that would have increased their recce capabilities many-fold over hand-held devices and weapon sights.

Nonetheless I imagine the Russians are quaking in their boots at the prospect of facing these and the Latvian CVR(T)s .................... 

Hope they are back home by Crimbo, as it gets rather COLD over there :cold:

That, or they are fitting one heck of a hot air system.

Christian, exiled to africa

More like NATO green these days, deep bronze went out in the late 60's I think, though there were a few still around in the early 80's.

I remember my dads unit getting a land rover chassis and cab from stock to fit an ambulance body on and it arrived in deep bronze green so had to be repainted.

Julien

I went past Aschurch on Monday and there were a couple of freshly painted TES-fit CRAARVs on view.  Overall green again, with a decent sheen.  Gloss Deep Bronze Green is dead, long live Satin Deep NATO Green ..........  The old argument in favour of gloss was that it kept its finish longer and needed less repainting.  Certainly the matt IRR green and black looked scruffy in very short order, and would have been harder to decontaminate in the event of a persistent liquid chemical attack.  Other than glint, I'm not sure it makes much difference with modern sensors whether the finish has a sheen or not.  Modern multi-spectral recce sensors are able to identify a target at several km, and to classify and detect even further out.  At those ranges a sheen on the paint is irrelevant.

I'm not sure a Jackal is made any more frightening by painting in camo.  Definitely no heater: waste of time in an open wagon anyway.  Good job it still has a BV for instant hot brew - assuming that wasn't a permitted deficiency in the CES!  What's the windchill factor at 30 mph?

Now the Army is returning to a worldwide expeditionary posture I imagine we'll see a lot more repainting of vehicles bought as UORs and now retained in service that have only so far existed in sandy shades.  Of course the question remains "what colour?"  Whatever is chosen will be wrong for somewhere, although the MTP uniform is surprisingly effective.  And of course we come back to the true purpose of camouflage.  To hide or to disguise?  A few years ago we did play with the idea of coatings that would form a skin that could be easily jet-washed off.  But i believe we couldn't get the balance between adhesion and ease of removal right and it proved insufficiently durable, peeling off rather than just wearing off at contact points.

• Like 1

I found this over on Warwheels.  Very interesting history of post-war UK greens and disruptive cam. http://www.warwheels.net/images/BritishArmyGreenPaintsElliott1.pdf.

Apparently we found a long time ago that 3 colours offered no advantage over 2, and there were several shades of green for various reasons - all explained at the link.

I'm sure I saw one of my Ashchurch green CRAARVs on a newsreel unloading from a ship in Estonia a couple of days ago.  Certainly an overall green CRAARV with TES fit.  Followed by a HET carrying a truly massive load of - 2 pipe fascines!  So much for STGO Cat 3 .......

Well someone on another forum has done a DAK Leopard ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

While looking for something else colour-related I found a Guardian article from a few years ago suggesting that UK vehicles would be repainted "Army Brown" after long and careful research.  The example shown was a Foxhound, which do seem to be a darker browner shade than the usual Light Stone.  I should have found out the exact colour while I worked in that project team.  

When I worked in the light weapons team Coyote Tan was the Colour Of The Moment for weapon furniture, holsters, weapon paint etc.  Turned out to be a colour name made up by one particular supplier rather than a recognised FS, Pantone or other system shade so we couldn't actually specify it.  But Tan was definitely the direction or travel rather than sand, being more universal and more in keeping with MTP uniform