Sea Harrier tail markings

Fatboydim

Hello gentlemen,

Does anyone know the reason for the black and white checkers on the tails of the Royal Navy 801 NAS Sea Harriers please?

I noticed similar markings on the nose of the soon to be released Airfix FAA Hurricane. 

Thank you, Joe. 

Joe

Half an answer for you.  The checker board markings on 801 Squadron's Sea Harriers is simply the squadron marking, the Airfix Sea Hurricane appears to be in 880 Squadron markings and it looks like the two squadrons operated together as 30 Naval Fighter Wing from HMS Indomitable during World War 2 which may explain the common markings.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

Thank you Richard, that helps. I just wondered if there was any history behind it. Joe 

Doesn`t the unit have a black and white cummerbund for the officers mess dress,......... was this used before the SHAR came into service?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

A quick web trawl hasn't thrown up any images showing previous use of the checks for 801, possible risk of confusion with 43 Squadron Real Air Force? (Runs away bravely).

Edited by stever219
Still running away bravely
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

A quick web trawl hasn't thrown up any previous use of the checks for 801, possible risk of confusion with 43 Squadron Real Air Force? (Runs away bravely).

The squadron's traditional marking which is depicted on its crest is a winged trident, the black and white checkers have not always been used consistently on the squadron's Sea Harriers.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Doesn`t the unit have a black and white cummerbund for the officers mess dress,......... was this used before the SHAR came into service?

Cheers

Tony

And seniors.

Afaik it's a shar thing checks have been used on on and off .

Prior to outback 88 dk grey cabs had checks then they removed them then back again....etc.clearlyit was grey and black toned down .just depends 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Don't remember seeing black and white chequerboards on any of 801's aircraft prior to the Shar

Reckon you are far too young to remember 801 Buccaneers :giggle:

Funnily enough I met an ex 801 bucc  maintainer in Perth on that very outback trip crickey it was only 29 years ago :fraidnot:

• Like 1

800 NAS even had a set of tanks painted with 801 NAS chequers on. Well that's what you get when your aircraft goes tech and you leave it in the hands of the 801 engineers. The aircraft flew from Gib back to the uk, once fixed, to rejoin the now disembarked 800, at Yeovilton. To say 800's brass wasn't happy would be understating it. 

High jinx in 85.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, junglierating said:

Reckon you are far too young to remember 801 Buccaneers :giggle:

Funnily enough I met an ex 801 bucc  maintainer in Perth on that very outback trip crickey it was only 29 years ago :fraidnot:

Ha ha.  If only.  Actually you are quite right.  The S.1s had gone before my time.  As for the Sea Hawks, I don't think I was even a twinkle in my dad's eye then. 

• Like 1