Eduard Siemens-Schuckert D.III 1/48

Good afternoon,

After a year of stops and starts (mainly due to the lozenge), I have finally finished my SSW D.III from Eduard with a Brassin engine. The only alteration made was the sanding away of the moulded on rib stitching and the large black area on the top wing where the lozenge decal come away on blue tac - making the markings a tad 'what-if'.

20170314_200909_zpsquclxyxy.jpg

20170314_200650_zpsly7pvmo8.jpg

20170314_200546_zpsyolp4jt9.jpg

20170314_200712_zpsyojwz32x.jpg

20170314_200732_zpsopq5yhob.jpg

• Like 24

Excellent looking model and makes me want to start mine.

what ifs and WW1 go together like fish and chips, as over 100years ago, no colour like today, Markings are hit and miss, that's what makes it all very interesting.

About time Wing nut did one of these.

• Like 1

Hello, Kuro Nezumi

Stubby, barrel-like appearance, combined with top performance thanks to her counter-rotary engine, what is there not to like on SSW D.III? Very convincing looking wooden (like the gloss varnish) and PE parts and do I see turnbuckles included in the rigging? I must say lozenge decals are a bit too faded for my taste, though. Nevertheless, they look fine on this semi-˝what if˝ model. For me, of course, the main ˝what if˝ question would be whether Western Front 1919 would change course of history enough to eliminate WWII. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Kuro Nezumi

Stubby, barrel-like appearance, combined with top performance thanks to her counter-rotary engine, what is there not to like on SSW D.III? Very convincing looking wooden (like the gloss varnish) and PE parts and do I see turnbuckles included in the rigging? I must say lozenge decals are a bit too faded for my taste, though. Nevertheless, they look fine on this semi-˝what if˝ model. For me, of course, the main ˝what if˝ question would be whether Western Front 1919 would change course of history enough to eliminate WWII. Cheers

Jure

I did use the turnbuckles and eyelets supplied by the kit. I used twisted wire to attach turnbuckles to the plane as it allows them to move more freely, meaning they will nearly always be aligned with the rigging thread. I found this technique on another forum, though I forgot which one. It's definitely much, MUCH easier to rig this way rather than simply glueing thread to the plane without turnbuckles as you can use knots and loops along with super glue. As for the lozenge, I've heard that Eduard's decals are somewhat inaccurate, so that may explain the faded look. Plus, I'm still learning how to get decals down without trapping air bubbles. It'll be the last time I apply lozenge as one massive decal; I'll be using the WNW method next time.

Edited by Kuro Nezumi
Submitted without finishing.

Hello, Kuro Nezumi

I was not even aware turnbuckles and eyelets come with a kit, and I am a big fan of SSW D.III, D.IV and D.VI. Thank you for your description of a method to attach them; end result certainly justifies its use. Also, there is no need to worry about faded decals as this is certainly not your fault. Does the WNW method for applying decals include a hair dryer? I am more of a floor polish kind of modeller, but a friend of mine frequently places decals on models and then warms them with a hair dryer with good results. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Does the WNW method for applying decals include a hair dryer? I am more of a floor polish kind of modeller, but a friend of mine frequently places decals on models and then warms them with a hair dryer with good results. Cheers

Jure

The WnW method can be found here:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/hintsandtips