Retro styled A-Wing

Thanks for your kind words gents. @AndyRM101 @Hunter Rose @Dermo245

I think I'm almost there and I am reasonably happy with it but it feels like its lacking *something* and I'm not sure what that something is... 

I've learned everything I know by either following peoples wip (and copying shamelessly) or asking questions; so here are a few questions:

1. In places the hand painted filter looks 'rough' - would I have been better to mask and spray the filter on?

2. It doesn't have that 'crisp'/'pop' look (if that makes sense) that I see on other peoples models - what is it I'm missing? I can see my paintwork isn't as 'clean' - I have the occasional bit of dust or imperfection under the paint but is there anything else?

3. Can you see anything that I could do/try to do that might improve it before I call it done on this model?

Thanks folks.

Edited by BrotherMole
  • Like 2

I am no expert and your wellcom to ignore me.

Your doing a great job and make and paint in exactly the same way i do, copy, watch YT and look through load of tutorials.

I would probably have sprayed on the blue panels but thats just me, as for when a kits finished that is totally up to you. Its your build, you can build, paint or do what ever you want with it and once your happy, call it done. Learn from it have fun, then start the next one.

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 1

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 20 year break and am relearning with SW models as they can;t really be over weathered or "messed up"

I mask and spray all my panels.  It's a bit of a pain but I cannot seem to get a smooth brush painted finish!   Maybe because Tamiya paints don't brush well?  or maybe I can't brush them well?

Anywho, 

As for that crisp, pop look?...I am anxious to see the answers as well as I too am not happy with that aspect of my models!

Nice work!

enjoy the journey!

Thomas

• Like 1

I think you're probably worrying unduly. It's looking great as it is. It can be hard to get a filter to look smooth over a metallic. They generally work best over matt paint, where the patchyness is less apparent. If you want to give the whole model a little more definition you could try adding some shading around various panels with oils.

Andy

• Like 1

nice work, I'm looking forwards to seeing this progress. Some well done weathering really adds to the model. this looks like well used craft. keep up the good work :)

• Like 1