LIQUID CHROME PENS

mbdesignart

That's interesting!  I've been using some Edding paint pens as they're available in 0.8mm and 1.5mm widths and they are much better than my pathetic painting skills.  But the finish with this liquid chrome seems much better.

On 03/05/2017 at 10:41 PM, bzn20 said:

Do you think after a couple of days you could over spray Acrylic over the Chrome without any problems?

I overpainted the chrome from a 2mm pen (after leaving for at least 24 hours) with Tamiya clear orange enamel and it has held up fine.

IMG_9547_zpsjjn1ifzu.jpg

Edited by injidup
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2017 at 0:42 AM, Codger said:

Any users have feedback on spraying from refill??

I'm waiting for the refill to arrive and will use it on the radiator shell of my Bentley build. Will post up pics once it's done. Will also try spraying Mr. Hobby's Acrysion clear coat over it to see how it holds.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jnkm13 said:

I'm waiting for the refill to arrive and will use it on the radiator shell of my Bentley build. Will post up pics once it's done. Will also try spraying Mr. Hobby's Acrysion clear coat over it to see how it holds.

Regards,

Jeremy

I have found that it holds up well to careful assembly handling of small parts but certainly not oily hands or heavy part assembly. The shine is definitely 'harder' than when clear coated. It's a more natural shine; clear makes things look like nailpolish.

1 hour ago, Codger said:

clear makes things look like nailpolish.

Is that "Kleer" as in the product or clear lacquer Codger ? Any particular favourite ?

10 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Is that "Kleer" as in the product or clear lacquer Codger ? Any particular favourite ?

To be clear (no pun) I advise NOT using any type clear on Liquid Chrome. I leave it uncoated.

When I do use a clear coat of any type on paint, I use Testors Wet Look Clear.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, saves getting in a mess !

Right so we've now established that tamiya enamel works over it and aqua gloss. So does anyone with other clear coats and a little spare time fancy testing out some of them just so we can all have a good idea what it will take and won't work. I would but 1) don't really have much time to spare at this time of year and 2) I only use 2-3 types of clear coats. 

Shaun 

54 minutes ago, shood23 said:

Right so we've now established that tamiya enamel works over it and aqua gloss. So does anyone with other clear coats and a little spare time fancy testing out some of them just so we can all have a good idea what it will take and won't work. I would but 1) don't really have much time to spare at this time of year and 2) I only use 2-3 types of clear coats. 

Shaun 

Shaun, can you tell me the reasons to use clear over it besides protecting the surface? The best chrome effect is just like the product was developed for - no clear.

I assume your need for clear is the chrome-like bodywork on some MB F-1 cars.

4 hours ago, Codger said:

Shaun, can you tell me the reasons to use clear over it besides protecting the surface? The best chrome effect is just like the product was developed for - no clear.

I assume your need for clear is the chrome-like bodywork on some MB F-1 cars.

That is in deed why I would like to know what clear coats this chrome can take I have a few of 2006-2014 mclarens crying out to be made. I've seen plenty of videos on you tube of guys pulling the tip off the pens and airbrushing the chrome on to treated and untreated surfaces with good results on each. so I know aqua gloss is good for most/all chrome paints with little effect so if this takes zeros 2k or premixed then my life of chrome is complete, even if tamiya clear (don't think it would as it's stupidly hot) or gunze clears work I'd be happy. Maybe I will have to force to spare time in this week to check them out. 

Shaun 

29 minutes ago, shood23 said:

That is in deed why I would like to know what clear coats this chrome can take I have a few of 2006-2014 mclarens crying out to be made. I've seen plenty of videos on you tube of guys pulling the tip off the pens and airbrushing the chrome on to treated and untreated surfaces with good results on each. so I know aqua gloss is good for most/all chrome paints with little effect so if this takes zeros 2k or premixed then my life of chrome is complete, even if tamiya clear (don't think it would as it's stupidly hot) or gunze clears work I'd be happy. Maybe I will have to force to spare time in this week to check them out. 

Shaun 

Great reasons. I can tell you TWLC is nowhere near as hot as Tammy's clear. Acrylic clear from Pledge (sprayed)  would not burn it but may not gloss as well. As always, testing is your friend.

I have used it with Microscale gloss cote hand brushed, it worked very nice with a small loss of effect...

It is ideal for using it in truck or car headlights it then looks like the chrome interior of those lights.

Marvellous stuff... i love it already.

Hi guys.

Copying my post from my WIP thread.

A small update. Sprayed Molotow Liquid Chrome on the radiator shell. The liquid chrome was thinned with approximately half Mr. Hobby Levelling Thinner. While Alclad Chrome requires light misting coats onto a glossy surface, Molotow requires just a sanded smooth primed surface. I achieved the effect below my laying on a few layers in quick succession. First layer will not appear nice, with some uneven effect which gave me a scare. Then after 2 more coats, I got the effect I was after. SinceI diluted with 50% thinner, the coats were pretty light anyway. I think the trick is to get enough coats on.

20170516_212413.jpg

20170516_212415.jpg

Before the 50:50 mix, I tried 100% Liquid Chrome. I found that it went on way too thick.

Below is a picture of a scrap piece.

20170516_212028.jpg

Scrap piece coated with acrylic gloss. Significant dulling of the chrome. I wanted to test how the chrome goes onto untreated parts. Must say that it's very good as even the wooden handle of the brush has good shine.

20170516_213657.jpg

Top part coated with acrylic gloss vs bottom part uncoated. The bottom part was chromed right from the sprue, so please ignore the less than perfect appearance.

20170516_213812.jpg

I tried handling the chromed parts after 3 days drying. While handling doesn't remove the chrome (it's much more durable than Alclad), it does have some minor dulling effect. 

If any dust gets onto the part while spraying, wait a couple of days for it to dry, then sand it. You can spray on the chrome again and it'll still look good.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 3