LIQUID CHROME PENS

mbdesignart

Hello all,

These marker pens have just been brought to my attention via Watford Scale Model Group. Spirit based liquid chrome pens available in various nib widths. More info here 

http://www.molotow.com/fileadmin/Dateien/PDF/Produktflyer/Marker/LIQUID_CHROME/ProduktFlyer_LIQUID_CHROME_198x210mm_DE_EN_06-2016_MASTER_screen.pdf

They should be available from art shops or that internet market stall.

Happy chroming.

Edited by mbdesignart
typing issue
  • Like 1

A bit more research, and I notice there is a 30ml refill available. As it's spirit based I wonder if this is airbrushable too? :hmmm: F1 car modellers may find this useful for those overall chrome finishes. 

• Like 1

Like that, the finish is stunning. Fescalised portions of U/C oleos and servo rams ,Hercules etc. ramp jacks. mirrors,  reflectors behind LEDs, NMF window frames, VC10 intake nose caps and beaver tails. NMF Engine cowlings. Endless list.

Great piece of kit !

I saw the YT clip (plus a few others) and figured this would be useful...but no-one in the UK appears to have the 1mm or 2mm things in stock, and shipping from overseas is typically around £30!!! Presumably this is because the contents dictate that a courier rate applies.

(And I love the copy from outlets that gush about 'interchangeable tips' -try searching their stock for said tips; guess what...!)

• 1 month later...

I managed to pick up the 1mm and 2mm liquid chrome pens at a local supplier in Perth, which is quite amazing, seeing as we are pretty remote here. The man in the shop asked if they were for model cars as they sell most to model car builders! They have the 4mm pen too but no refills at the moment.

We only have the 2mm in stock at the moment (introductory price of £5.50). There is a shortage of them, so hope to get the 1mm and 4mm in soon.

Will get them on the website later this week.

Was having a discussion about them at the weekend,playing with different surfaces it looks like they work best over white, rather than black, has anyone else found this. 

Not sure how resilient the finish is or how long they take to fully cure, one test piece that had been on for a couple of hours dulled down  when rubbed with a finger.

Ta,

Paul

You need to let them set overnight and they become tougher then, I have over coated them with Alclad aqua gloss and it does take a little of the shine off, but still looks good, handy for chrome ram arms as they don't look as shiney as chrome trim anyway.

If you want to go over a area again, let the first coat harden off well or else it starts to soften all whats on there and becomes very thick and dosen't lay down well.

It's very handy for touching in chrome parts that you don't want to repaint after you have cut them off the sprues and cleaned up.

What ever you do don't go near it with the old type Klear that totally distroys it

oh and watch it when using the pen, the stuff flows out very quickly from the nib once it starts to flow

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colin said:

You need to let them set overnight and they become tougher then, I have over coated them with Alclad aqua gloss and it does take a little of the shine off, but still looks good, handy for chrome ram arms as they don't look as shiney as chrome trim anyway.

If you want to go over a area again, let the first coat harden off well or else it starts to soften all whats on there and becomes very thick and dosen't lay down well.

It's very handy for touching in chrome parts that you don't want to repaint after you have cut them off the sprues and cleaned up.

What ever you do don't go near it with the old type Klear that totally distroys it

oh and watch it when using the pen, the stuff flows out very quickly from the nib once it starts to flow

Thanks Colin, useful  info. I was wondering about all the things you mentioned, overcoating, Kleer and lacquer. I have the thickest pen, which one have you got?

I have the 2mm and 1mm

I have just used them for the chrome trim around a Fujimi 250gto headlight covers, it took a bit of practice to get right but was easier than masking and paint.

Best thing is if you make a mistake, wash the part in ipa and it comes of

• Like 1

The Alclad gloss you mentioned earlier is a good idea if it knocks back the gloss. You some times need a semi gloss/less polished look like VC10 intake nose caps, exhaust that started off shiny and keep some part of that effect and other parts black,burnt etc.

Do you think after a couple of days you could over spray Acrylic over the Chrome without any problems?

3 hours ago, bzn20 said:

The Alclad gloss you mentioned earlier is a good idea if it knocks back the gloss. You some times need a semi gloss/less polished look like VC10 intake nose caps, exhaust that started off shiny and keep some part of that effect and other parts black,burnt etc.

Do you think after a couple of days you could over spray Acrylic over the Chrome without any problems?

I can't see any problem as the Aqua gloss is acrylic anyway,it also seals the chrome in, helps if you need to handle the part after.

Test it first though as certain acrylics like Tamiya and Gunze use ipa as a thinner. I certainly had no problems with Aqua gloss brushed over the chrome but make sure you leave it a good 24hrs to dry

• Like 1

Here it is applied to the tailpipe of my Rolls, with 4mm pen.

IMG_6319_zpsinu6ya7p.jpg

This is right over SpazStiks and is far superior to it.

IMG_6318_zpspoexqtr8.jpg

The pix do not do it justice; when viewed from normal model-viewing distance of a foot or more away, the reflections are much sharper and it has a nice 'blue chrome' cast as opposed to yellowish. The spring shackle next to it is nickel plated steel.

Tips: get the part surface smooth and clean with no imperfections. Keep the pen tip clean (use iso) and don't 'scrub' the liquid on. As stated, let dry solidly overnight or two. Seems best for small parts like this and works beautifully over clean and polished brass. I did the hood central hinge and it's great.

I'd love to try spraying it but do not have any large parts that need it.

Any users have feedback on spraying from refill??

• Like 3