Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

  • Announcements

    • Mike

      Switched Identities   18/06/17

      If you are still having problems logging in and remaining under your own username following the DDoS attack last week, you need to log off, clear your browser's cache, and restart your browser to ensure you clear all the old files from your temporary area.  Then you should be sorted.
Sambowlambow99

Iwata or H & S?

 

I am a relatively new modeler and I'm wanting to upgrade from my current Paasche single action airbrush to a double action. The two that I've seen recommended are the Harder and Steinbeck Evolution and the Iwata-Medea Revolution. The H&S is $150 and the Iwata-Medea is $90. I'm just wondering if the quality for both is the same and if I'm overspending by buying the H&S. 

Thanks for the advice,

Sam 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't comment on the H&S but I've got the Iwata and it's a great reliable brush. Only problem I have with it, is that I find it a bit uncomfortable to use for long periods of time..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Can't comment on the H&S but I've got the Iwata and it's a great reliable brush. Only problem I have with it, is that I find it a bit uncomfortable to use for long periods of time..

Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really MUST try before you buy, if possible -airbrushes are entirely a matter of personal preference. If you can get to a show where a retailer will let you compare brushes, that is a great way to find the best match!

 

At the time of writing, I have an Iwata Eclipse HP and a H&S Evolution fpc 2-in-1. Both perform similarly and strip/re-assemble very easily. I fitted a quick-connector hose-plug to both, a worthwhile move. The Iwata has a fixed paint cup; the H&S a changeable one (2 volume options supplied). On the other hand, the trigger (spring) pressure can be fine-adjusted on the Iwata brush.

Both tools are of excellent quality, but there is a tangible high-end Japanese (Lexus?) feel to the Iwata, and very much a hewn-from-solid Teutonic (Mercedes?) handle to the Evolution.

I get the definite impression that if I had loads more skill, I would get more out of the H&S than I am able to do right now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

You really MUST try before you buy, if possible -airbrushes are entirely a matter of personal preference. If you can get to a show where a retailer will let you compare brushes, that is a great way to find the best match!

 

At the time of writing, I have an Iwata Eclipse HP and a H&S Evolution fpc 2-in-1. Both perform similarly and strip/re-assemble very easily. I fitted a quick-connector hose-plug to both, a worthwhile move. The Iwata has a fixed paint cup; the H&S a changeable one (2 volume options supplied). On the other hand, the trigger (spring) pressure can be fine-adjusted on the Iwata brush.

Both tools are of excellent quality, but there is a tangible high-end Japanese (Lexus?) feel to the Iwata, and very much a hewn-from-solid Teutonic (Mercedes?) handle to the Evolution.

I get the definite impression that if I had loads more skill, I would get more out of the H&S than I am able to do right now!

Thanks for the info, I think I'll probably get an Iwata first since it's cheaper and since it'll be my first double action.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which brush you go for depends on what you are looking to paint..... 

 

If you are looking to paint fiddle camo, then a brush with a large 0.5mm nozzle is not the one to go for and if you want area work then a 0.2mm nozzle will similarly frustrate you.

 

The Iwata revolution is normally sold as a brush with a 0.5mm nozzle or 0.3mm, The Evolution is sold as a 0.2mm nozzle that is sort of equivalent to the 0.3mm in the Iwata. 

 

The Harder & steenbeck brush is more flexible & futureproof. Different sized cups and 4 different nozzle sets that can be changed in seconds without any tools.  The Iwata is a solid dependable brush.

 

So I would say if you are looking to move from detail work to area work & priming, then the H&S would be the best bet longer term due to it's flexibility in configuration.

 

Have a look at the UK prices for the H&S Evolution, export price on our's is about $100.  I would also suggest looking at the Evolution Silverline as it has a preset handle as standard.

 

Paul

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, little-cars said:

Which brush you go for depends on what you are looking to paint..... 

 

If you are looking to paint fiddle camo, then a brush with a large 0.5mm nozzle is not the one to go for and if you want area work then a 0.2mm nozzle will similarly frustrate you.

 

The Iwata revolution is normally sold as a brush with a 0.5mm nozzle or 0.3mm, The Evolution is sold as a 0.2mm nozzle that is sort of equivalent to the 0.3mm in the Iwata. 

 

The Harder & steenbeck brush is more flexible & futureproof. Different sized cups and 4 different nozzle sets that can be changed in seconds without any tools.  The Iwata is a solid dependable brush.

 

So I would say if you are looking to move from detail work to area work & priming, then the H&S would be the best bet longer term due to it's flexibility in configuration.

 

Have a look at the UK prices for the H&S Evolution, export price on our's is about $100.  I would also suggest looking at the Evolution Silverline as it has a preset handle as standard.

 

Paul

 

 

 

 

Thanks for the advice. The H&S is $150 on Amazon with free shipping here in the states. I'd like to get it, but I'm gonna have to do a little more saving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll always go for Iwata, over H&S or any other brand.

My Evolution let me down after only a few airbrush sessions.

My Iwata took over, to the point where I forgot the Evolution.

I didn't even try to repair it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and H&S Infinity CR Plus. I use the Eclipse with 0.35mm nozzle for general work and varnishes and the Infinity with 0.15mm nozzle for camouflages and fine work like mottling etc. Both are superb airbrushes, but I find Harder to be more versatile-changing cups, nozzles and a bit easier to clean. Eclipse feels more solid though.

Evolution is as good as Infinity, but bit cheaper. In the end the most important thing is availability of spare parts ;)

 

Regards,

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 18.3.2017 at 6:00 AM, Antoine said:

I'll always go for Iwata, over H&S or any other brand.

My Evolution let me down after only a few airbrush sessions.

My Iwata took over, to the point where I forgot the Evolution.

I didn't even try to repair it...

 

Since a couple of years, my airbrushes of choice are exclusively H&S.  I sold my Iwata Revolution and Sotar/ 20/20, because these actually have no advantages over the Evolution or Infinity. Only the cleaning process is more inticate and spare parts are much more expensive, at least in Germany. My  airbrushes in use are a 1st gen. Evolution, which is now 18 years old and still going strong with a 0,15mm needle/nozzle set for fine weathering and staining purposed.. Myfirst Infinity now is almost 10 years in use and I fitted a 0,4mm needle/ nozzle for general purpose and  metal paint finishes with great results. For free hand camouflage schemes and fine line work I use an Infinity CR 0,2mm, my favourite airbrush. I know colleagues, who swear on their  400,--€ +  Iwata Custom Microns, but honestly said, the results are not a small tad better, than with the H&S ones!

 

To my experience, the choice of high quality paint range combined with the appropriate thinner (which sometimes must not be the original brand one!)  is at least as essential as a quality airbrush! A state-of-the art airbrush filled with old fashioned (and outdated!) Revell or Humbrol Enamels will cause worse results, than a medicore airbrush, which is spraying high quality paints, like the Mr. Paint.sk or Hataka Orange line. As an example, Ammo of MIG paints thinned with the original brand thinner causes fast clogging of the needle, thus the workflow is interrupted frequently and fine line work nearly is impossible. Thinning the Ammo of MiG paints with the Orange line thinner from Hataka works like a miracle. Clogging is gone and fine line sprying results are stunning!

 

Either a H&S or Iwata airbrush is a good choice, but don´t underestimate the right choice of the paint/ thinner combination as well!

Edited by Drareg Naitsirhc
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iwata CR for me any day! 

0.5mm and 0.3mm needle sets work well for different uses.

I have tried the H&S and would contemplate one as a second setup.

I think they are easier to swap between needle sizes too.

I wouldn't say cleaning the Iwata is difficult at all.

I've just spent an evening with HiroBy and Alclad paints and the Iwata took took all of 10 mins to clean thoroughly.

And this was using the the dreaded Ducati red (is there a worse colour for cleaning out of an AB?)!

Try and see if you can get a demo somewhere, just so you can get a real feel of the two.

Better still, buy both!

Rick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now