Evenin all. Just another Newbie saying hello...

Gorby

Evenin all. Just another Newbie saying hello...

Let's get the guilty admissions out of the way to start with, I live in Coventry (not as bad as is sounds); and I am a reasonably active member of 'Scalemates'

(www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=20442&p=albums),

but as I'm a Brit and as I'm a modeller…

I'm happy to admit that I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. Besides modelling, I like photography (https://www.flickr.com/photos/gorbygould/), photo editing (I use Gimp not Photoshop), carpentry, music (listening not playing) and I generally have a fascination with the world and world history. 

Oh, and I can tend to waffle on a bit.

I am now retired (early retirement, yaaa!) after working with those computery things. So now my time is, pretty much my own (my wife would probably disagree with the last statement).

Perhaps I'm doing this mid-life crisis thing wrong, but in January 2015, after a 37 year abstinence, I decide that I would like to try model making again. When I was a scale model of my current self, I was at my happiest making models, it accounted for most of my free time and virtually all my pocket money. But that was back in the 70's when, the object of the game seemed to be glueing all the bits together as fast as possible and only then reaching for the brushes (if at all). Modelling in the 21st Century has been a revelation, but I'm trying to get into the swing of things and trying something new with every kit I do.

I have a bit of a life long aircraft obsession, so I almost exclusively stick with military aircraft. I'm mainly interested in WW2 aircraft (with a slight Luftwaffe leaning) and post war, first generation jets. I tend to stick with 1/48 scale, but I would love to do a few 1/24 (I did three back in the seventies) but you don't have to do many before you run out of places to put them. I've tried to convince my wife that a large Mosquito model would look lovely on the sideboard, but she didn't seem impressed.

I'm not obsessed with models being a totally accurate miniature of the real thing. I'm quite aware that my models are more likely to end up in land-fill rather than a museum, I just want to enjoy building them. I like looking at models with a lot of detail and marvel at the end result of the obsessives, but it isn't for me agonising over every panel line or misplaced rivet. But each to their own.

I would have added a photo, but I couldn't see a way to upload direct from my computer. Is it possible without a URL?

Gorby.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

are more likely to end up in land-fill

No they won't. You'll end up with boxes of bits like the rest of us because it's a certainty that as soon as you throw away a bit then you'll start looking for it for the current project.

Oh..and welcome aboard.

Welcome,

nice to know that for the moment at least you're not being sucked in to the "must do everything the experts and obsessives do or my models won't be worthy" school of modelling. You'll probably get to really like the site, lots of good, friendly & helpful blokes & sometimes even blokesses,

cheers,

spad

Edited by spaddad

Thank you both for your welcome. It may take time for me to get into the swing of things, as the site is organised very differently to Scalemates.

Spaddad: I know I don't stand a snowman's chance in hell of producing the stunning, hyper-realistic results that I have seen others achieve, so why stress about it?

From what I have seen so far Britmodeller is a bit more relaxed and light-hearted than Scalemates, which can tend to be a bit too serious a lot of the time. The Brits and the Aussies make sterling efforts try to undermine that, but often it's met with the online equivalent of a blank stare. :speechless:

Gorby

• Like 1

Welcome to BM Gorby. I worked at Peugeot for a while some good people in Coventry. Mike and the Minions work hard to keep the site friendly and succeed magnificently IMHO.

Don't knock yourself. You may be surprised by how much progress you'll make 'borrowing' ideas and advice from people on here. Just because you aren't Ronaldo doesn't mean you can't enjoy a kick around with the lads from the pub. 

Be warned though that you'll soon find yourself building things you'd never have thought of, heck I'm building aircraft nowadays. There's a pretty decent model show at the Cosford museum on 2/4/2017 BM usually has a display and my club Leicester Modellers are there, I will be if I can get a day off work.:raincloud:

Thanks for the welcome Sleeper. I'm impressed with how much Mike takes an active part in the forums. Tim, who runs Scalemates, isn't so friendly. You're lucky if he will answer a directly asked question. One of the reasons I'm here in fact. I'm certainly impressed with the welcome I've received so far.

Gorby

Just trying the photo URL thingy... It works!

The photo shows me standing next to my 'birth plane' (the aircraft which first flew nearest my date of birth). I'm pointing to it just in case you haven noticed the huge yellow carbuncle that is the Hunting H.126. Never heard of it? I'm not surprised. I know that I'm a long way off in the photo, but that's probably for the best.

8b82627e-d6f1-43aa-8c49-fecb05b8adfe.JPG