Hi folks,

My first completion for 2017 - rather a slow start to the year - is this space fighter from Yamato 2199. It's a Bandai kit and has the usual excellent fit and sharp detail, as well as the usual tricky plastic that doesn't like CA or enamels :) I didn't have too many problems that weren't of my own making though - just need to be very careful with it all.

33449161196_65f4cd169f_b.jpg

(click for bigger/more)

I modified the snap-fit areas to allow me to build the nose and fuselage separately, deal with the horizontal seams, and paint them before bringing them together at the end. This was inspired by pictures of Japanese magazines and seems like a good way to approach these kits. It also cuts down on the number of snapped-together joints which are where plastic can crack under the influence of solvents.

It's quite a mean-looking thing, I think:

33490086605_e26c83806f_b.jpg

33490085455_091f8bf77c_b.jpg

33361857931_b6e4035330_b.jpg

I think the best bit was weathering the engine cone, which is almost entirely done with acrylics to avoid any risk. I enjoyed painting the pilot too, but I think she might be 1/100 rather than 1/72, as she looks rather low in the seat!

32646647564_b6328dd8dd_b.jpg

Thanks to everyone who looked in on the WIP thread!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 14

Great job. I like the different silver shades and the blue is a nice 'lead in' to the whole model.

And that first pic with it in space, that is now in my wallapaper folder!!:D

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Wow your photo setup is really selling it well!

Thanks! I strapped a head torch to the edge of the box shining through the side, and that has a slightly warmer LED than the cloudy daylight. I think it looks a lot shinier in these shots (at least the non-detail shots) than it did before?

Although there is some hue shift on the backdrop where the LED is just catching it on the right hand side :P

15 hours ago, Thom216 said:

And that first pic with it in space, that is now in my wallapaper folder!!:D

Cool, thanks :) I was thinking about doing a forced-perspective pic with the 1/1000 ships in the background, but I'll probably wait until I've finished the Cosmo Falcon.

16 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Cracking job Will, lovely paint job, the side shots are amazing, well done.

Thanks Chris, it has a good profile despite that bulbous cockpit.

10 hours ago, Misrule said:

Turned out a treat despite the difficult process :)

Thanks, it wasn't that difficult really, I just get stuck if I put something down for a while it can be hard to pick it up. I would really like to build a crack-free Bandai model though - not sure if I'm unlucky or my house is host to some kind of plastic-eating microbe, or what...

2 hours ago, BrotherMole said:

That's brilliant love the colours, and especially that heat stained exhaust. Very nice. 

Thanks! That was definitely the most fun bit to do.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

yeah - that is beautiful!! I think the blue is a natural choice and it really stands out. I can't go with blue myself now that you have owned it ;) 

great stuff Will - I hope to see more SBY subjects from your work  bench soon? :)

Si

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Stunning build Will, and the photos really do it justice.

Thanks Andy!

20 hours ago, Madhatter said:

yeah - that is beautiful!! I think the blue is a natural choice and it really stands out. I can't go with blue myself now that you have owned it ;) 

great stuff Will - I hope to see more SBY subjects from your work  bench soon? :)

Thanks Si, go with blue, there are loads of options - one of Andy's nice teal blues? I want to do some more Yamato stuff, especially the 1/1000 scale ships, but I feel obliged to light them and I know it's going to be a lot of work!

50 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Lovely job. Will.

Thanks Pete!

W

• Like 1

Thanks! The stand was really easy - one rubberwood coaster, one rod, and the lovely foil stickers Bandai give you :)

I need to find some rubber or felt feet for it really as the coaster isn't perfectly flat.

Will