hello !

RJ-WobblyHands

Its 35+ years since I last held a sprue cutter, building small plastic kits, but life seems to go in circles .. waiting for my wife I found myself flicking through a modelling magazine and there was a full page advert for the new tooled Airfix 1/72 B-17G .... 'bang' the memories of humbrol cement and hand painting humbrol enamels on 'A Bit-o-Lace' in the early 80's came flooding back. 

Time to find out if my old wobbly hands can still make small plastic kits !!

This time I am going with a theme - rather than randomly buy and build models.

Slighty boring and obvious but in 1/72nd scale - US Aircraft types stationed in Essex (my home county and both sets of grandparents worked at US airbases during that period) , with correct squadron markings etc 

Starting with:

Airfix P-51D Mustang Bubbletop  (either 361st FG or 55th FG - finding decals is soo much fun, most of 361st aircraft that have decal sets were shot down before the move Essex)

Airfix's B-17G  ( 381st BG - only B-17 base in Essex at RAF Ridgwell)

Most of the US Bases in Essex were Medium Bombers - so A-20 Havocs and B-26 Maurders , this is were my fun will start !

• Like 1

:welcome: aboard :)  I think the modelling habit is always there in the background, no matter how long you've been away.  It's like the Hotel California... you can never leave :ghost:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 21:56, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Its 35+ years since I last held a sprue cutter, building small plastic kits, but life seems to go in circles .. waiting for my wife I found myself flicking through a modelling magazine and there was a full page advert for the new tooled Airfix 1/72 B-17G .... 'bang' the memories of humbrol cement and hand painting humbrol enamels on 'A Bit-o-Lace' in the early 80's came flooding back. 

Time to find out if my old wobbly hands can still make small plastic kits !!

This time I am going with a theme - rather than randomly buy and build models.

Slighty boring and obvious but in 1/72nd scale - US Aircraft types stationed in Essex (my home county and both sets of grandparents worked at US airbases during that period) , with correct squadron markings etc 

Starting with:

Airfix P-51D Mustang Bubbletop  (either 361st FG or 55th FG - finding decals is soo much fun, most of 361st aircraft that have decal sets were shot down before the move Essex)

Airfix's B-17G  ( 381st BG - only B-17 base in Essex at RAF Ridgwell)

Most of the US Bases in Essex were Medium Bombers - so A-20 Havocs and B-26 Maurders , this is were my fun will start !

That matches my 'resurgence' experience as well - a theme comes up and you have to follow it! Best of luck. Mike