Metal pitot tube for Airfix 1/72 Defiant?

Beard

As is hardly surprising to anyone who has made this kit, I've broken the pitot tube and, as the thread title suggests, I'm looking for a metal one. A quick search has revealed that Quickboost make resin ones but I'd prefer something metal, I know I'd break the resin one.

I've bodged one from a bit of Albion Alloys tubing and a .10 gauge guitar string but it don't look pretty.

2017-03-16_09-09-38

Does anyone know of a suitable metal one?

Thanks in advance.

I bought some Albion Alloys 'slide fit' tube for this sort of thing and I like it. I bought the aluminium set. Here's mine:

22530524902_d7ceb453ac_z.jpg

and a close up (on the ceiling):

33325201162_32928dbf43_z.jpg

Good stuff.

• Like 2

Good move Simon - it's useful stuff.

I've just watched the video from their website on how to cut the tube and. apparently, you make a groove by rolling the tube under a scalpel once or twice and then snapping it off with pliers - this prevents crimping and burrs. I learn something new every day!

• Like 1

I wonder if Master Model will fill the void for a pitot tube set for the Defiant?  As much as I like Quickboost's products, resin pitot tubes have never struck me as a very good idea.

18 hours ago, Beard said:

As is hardly surprising to anyone who has made this kit, I've broken the pitot tube and, as the thread title suggests, I'm looking for a metal one. A quick search has revealed that Quickboost make resin ones but I'd prefer something metal, I know I'd break the resin one.

I've bodged one from a bit of Albion Alloys tubing and a .10 gauge guitar string but it don't look pretty.

Does anyone know of a suitable metal one?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for asking the question Beard. I've done exactly the same on my Defiant but I had no idea what it was called or what it was for. Now I know.

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Good move Simon - it's useful stuff.

I've just watched the video from their website on how to cut the tube and. apparently, you make a groove by rolling the tube under a scalpel once or twice and then snapping it off with pliers - this prevents crimping and burrs. I learn something new every day!

I have some some of their tubing and hadn't thought of buying some with a smaller diameter. D'oh!

5 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

I wonder if Master Model will fill the void for a pitot tube set for the Defiant?  As much as I like Quickboost's products, resin pitot tubes have never struck me as a very good idea.

I had had a look to see if Model Master did one and hoped some-one could suggest one that would be similar.

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Thank you for asking the question Beard. I've done exactly the same on my Defiant but I had no idea what it was called or what it was for. Now I know.

There's going to be a rush on Albion Alloys tubing now. 😃

• Like 1