Tamiya Tomcat - Unfinished - No Pictures

IMG_0023_zpstjnq499d.jpg

Here we go then! My first build thread for quite some time. I'll try to make it entertaining and I hope that you will make it interesting too. Please join in. Comment! Criticise! Suggest! Take us off topic, as long as it's fun. 

Don

• Like 4

IMG_0022_zps6y8vttrj.jpg

So, first impressions? Good grief, look at the price! It was Seventy five quid which is a lot for me to spend on a model. I am something of a stingy bargain hunter and buy most of my kits second hand from under tables at shows (underhand from the second table?). This is a bit special though as my lovely old Mum (91) bought it for me as a kind of retirement present. She bought my first model when I was about eight (Airfix, probably a Spitfire) and at these prices this will be the last one that she will get for me! It makes it kind of special for me though. She wanted to be sure that it wasn't the kind of kit that took years to build so she's clearly wanting to see it finished and that's a useful incentive to keep me at it.

IMG_0026_zpshweiip9b.jpg

There's some lovely moulding in this big box. Look at those rings way down the jetpipe sides.

IMG_0027_zpsuerluxyk.jpg

And look at that slide moulded piece of perfect!

IMG_0028_zpsgwhzeb7k.jpg

Marvellous! 

IMG_0029_zps1pzrlq2j.jpg

There are a few modelling tasks left to do, of course. Just a tiny little ridge to polish out.

IMG_0030_zpsqh6qjagd.jpg

These are the side consoles for the cockpit. Moulded separately for some reason. Perhaps to allow different equipment fits in later issues? Maybe they are supposed to be easier to paint like this? I'll be sticking them in before painting as that's always been the best way for me but I wonder how you would do it?

• Like 3

IMG_0033_zpstal8e13p.jpg

This is the inside of the wing. There's only one runner attachment point to worry about as the others are on the inboard end and will be inside the fuselage. Nice simple clean up.

IMG_0034_zpsfumnurzu.jpg

I rarely use sanding sticks for reasons of cost and lack of durability, I buy good quality wet and dry and use it with pencil rubber sanding blocks. This shape is really for getting at wing root seams but it worked ok as a flat. 

I've 'broken ground' by sticking a few big bits together, just for a change. I want to do the boring and unpleasant parts of the build as soon as possible so that the end of the build will be relatively easy and fun.

IMG_0035_zpsbgl5f3u7.jpg

Not quite seamless intakes but very very close. This is quite deep in the fuselage so the minor seams, seen end on, will be almost invisible.

IMG_0036_zpsctuegh8w.jpg

In fact they are so smooth that I couldn't resist adding a few rivets to give the impression of metal. You probably wont be able to see them any more than the seams but we will all know that they are there, right?

IMG_0037_zpsd85xkqyz.jpg

More beautiful moulding. The surface detail is very fine indeed. I'm going to have to be careful not to lose it under the paint.

IMG_0038_zpsysqe15kl.jpg

Now there was me, thinking that this kit would be foolproof. I cracked the strap by using the wrong tool. Snips put too much strain on the plastic as they deformed the runner, dammit! I used a saw after that.

IMG_0039_zpsu7gkyten.jpg

This might interest you. It's my anvil. A block of metal with three sides covered in floor tile. Its handy for supporting a cut where the plastic part can't be laid out on a flat desk The bare sides are used for various photo-etch tasks.

IMG_0040_zpsc2b9ftql.jpg

That's the panel that covers the part I broke. I can barely see the join. The engineering of this model really does make me grin at times. 

And that's your lot for today. I've only assembled the wings, fins and stabs but I'm enjoying myself and that's The Thing, ain't it?

Don

(there used to be an automatic signature thing on this but I can't find it now)

• Like 9

That looks absolutely lovely and what a great gift from your Mum.

Have fun building it and I'm sure there will be many following the progress.

Who doesn't like a Tomcat.....??

Phil

1 hour ago, per ardua ad ostentationem said:

This is a bit special though as my lovely old Mum (91) bought it for me as a kind of retirement present. 

Wow, this is a great motivation for you.  :D

Your (without any doubt) lovely Mum earned my respect and best regards.  :yes::clap2:

Ciao.

Davide

Day Two.

I thought I'd have a go at this bit today:

IMG_0045_zpsl0fzqat7.jpg

Dangerously close to the cockpit and the 'official' starting point but what the heck, I'm a wild man!

Actually, it just looked do-able in the limited time available today and I wanted to show you some progress in the works. (Geddit?)

The thing that's slowing me down is this:

IMG_0041_zpsxetqmwcl.jpg

An Italeri Boston III. If I cease work entirely on this thing, I'll never get it finished so I'm dividing my call sign! Foolish man. Its interesting to compare the two builds though. In terms of fit, there just is NO comparison. (Was this an old USA Monogram offering, reissued by Italeri? I shure smells like it, pardners.) 

The Boston requires a bit of help with the details:

IMG_0020_zpsi3yzbgxa.jpg

Plastruct framing and some random greeble to bring it to life (inacurate but creative?).

There's also plenty of scope for 'painting over the cracks' - adding detail by brush.

IMG_4525_zpsvjxtp8pn.jpg

IMG_0021_zpskt2fyytw.jpg

IMG_0018_zpssm2ewxul.jpg

I'm very proud of that instrument panel. Dials done with a brush!!!!

Inst%20Panel_zps3o0setwp.jpg

In fact, it was a lot easier than it looks. Paint the panel dark grey, drybrush light grey, paint the dials WHITE, then with a fine brush and bated breath, paint the bits of the dials that you dont want white with Indian Ink. It even leaves the instrument faces shiny like glass. This was my first try with this technique and I heartily recommend it.

So, that's enough random showing off for today, back to the Tomcat.

IMG_0042_zpsendcfkjw.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsalu8i7as.jpg

Beautiful. Nothing much to add there and the detail is so sharp that painting will be a doddle. 

IMG_0046_zpstcbrexbr.jpg

That's how well the well fits in its well in the nose. Perfect. (I have to find something to criticise.......)

Oh yes, look at the stub of the nose gear. See the ejection mark? Well, clearly this renders everything rubbish from now on. LOL. Nope It was so small that two swipes of a scalpel fixed it completely. And what a good idea, splitting the leg like that so I can have an accurate mounting and won't suffer the agony of having the entire leg sticking out all the way through the build. Well, right up to the point where I would carelessly snap it off, at least.

IMG_0044_zpsgvvekmhr.jpg

I'm away for the weekend so the next instalment will be Tuesday at the earliest. See you soon...  

• Like 6

On 16/03/2017 at 5:11 PM, Booty003 said:

That looks absolutely lovely and what a great gift from your Mum.

Who doesn't like a Tomcat.....??

Phil

Tomcat. Mmmmmmmmm. Gorgeous things weren't they? This is my first 1:48 model though. I dunno why I've waited so long really I'm now TopGunning all over the place. Ha!

On 16/03/2017 at 5:28 PM, Shalako said:

Seventy five quid is also my limit.

Shalako

Indeed. No aftermarket on this beauty, (if it lives up to the promise) so that's a bonus. The only other spending had been on a couple of books. Which have not arrived yet, and still I'm building. That's faith in Tamiya I suppose.

On 16/03/2017 at 5:48 PM, davmarx said:

Wow, this is a great motivation for you.  :D

Your (without any doubt) lovely Mum earned my respect and best regards.  :yes::clap2:

Ciao.

Davide

I'll pass on your regards to her at the weekend. She will be tickled pink!

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but i think its better to paint all of the white areas on the wheel well bulkheads before building things up. Same goes for the intake trunks, etc. Failing to do so is gonna result in some uneven coverage problems.

I've been using Tamiya White Liquid Surface Primer, thinned with Tamiya Lacquer thinner. it has become my "Go To" paint for all things white. Good coverage, sands beautifully, dries very fast.

Also, the so-called "David Aungst Fix" for painting the A/B cans works very well, too. Makes it much easier to get good paint coverage in those areas.

So far, i've only needed to use Mr Surfacer 500 and Mr Dissolved Putty to fill a few 90-degree joints and some seams on the back end of the fuselage. Nothing more drastic than that. The windscreen mounted beautifully with just white glue. I immediately masked over the windshield part with Tamiya tape to protect it during handling.

I hope this doesn't sound critical; just trying to pass along my experiences so far on my Tomcat build.

david

PS: The Boston looks nice; i too have one of those well along in construction on my "Shelf of Doom".

2 hours ago, Covjets13 said:

I do think it's still a cheap hobby, when you get kits this well engineered for £70... Awesome build I will be following and looking forward to the next instalment 👍

I couldn't agree more. The magic formula is:

Ct = C/h

where Ct is true cost, C is money spent and h is hours filled by choosing, finding, researching, building, painting, blogging, weathering, admiring, knocking off the shelf, cursing, fixing, knocking over again, mourning, and finally breaking for parts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim T said:

Good to see you back Don. It's certainly been a while!  

It certainly has! I've dropped in from time to time and made a few replies but life has contained a fair slab of manic busy or anxious grim and I've not been at all sociable here. 

Back now though! I've eased back in by starting a couple of 'Ready for Inspection' threads and I'm already enjoying sharing this build, which, at the rate I build may run and run....

Oh hang on, I'm retired now - I'll have it flying by Thursday!

37 minutes ago, Janremco said:

Good start I like the instrument panel of your Boston.

May I get one myself. I love the Grumman Tomcat.

Jan Remco

Thanks, Jan. 

I'm a Tomcat fan too, I even used "Tomcat!" As my password. 

Just now, per ardua ad ostentationem said:

Thanks, Jan. 

Oops!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, per ardua ad ostentationem said:

Thanks, Jan. 

Oops!

It's alright, I changed it to 'Spitfire'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David H said:

Just my opinion, but i think its better to paint all of the white areas on the wheel well bulkheads before building things up. Same goes for the intake trunks, etc. Failing to do so is gonna result in some uneven coverage problems.

I've been using Tamiya White Liquid Surface Primer, thinned with Tamiya Lacquer thinner. it has become my "Go To" paint for all things white. Good coverage, sands beautifully, dries very fast.

Also, the so-called "David Aungst Fix" for painting the A/B cans works very well, too. Makes it much easier to get good paint coverage in those areas.

So far, i've only needed to use Mr Surfacer 500 and Mr Dissolved Putty to fill a few 90-degree joints and some seams on the back end of the fuselage. Nothing more drastic than that. The windscreen mounted beautifully with just white glue. I immediately masked over the windshield part with Tamiya tape to protect it during handling.

I hope this doesn't sound critical; just trying to pass along my experiences so far on my Tomcat build.

david

PS: The Boston looks nice; i too have one of those well along in construction on my "Shelf of Doom".

I think you are right about not painting the intake. It would have been easier and probably better. I got carried away. I don't think it will make much difference in the end though as they will be deeply shadowed and viewed at an acute angle. 

I'm planning on having uneven coverage in the nose wheel bay. It it all comes out as I intend, the unevenness will act as shading and enhance the three dimensionalness (!?) of the thing. We shall see ... or not. 

Thanks for for the other tips, Dave. I've not tried Tamiya primer yet, I'll give it a go. Who is David Aungst, or what is his fix?

And you don't sound critical by the way. You sound American, by which I mean speaking freely  without being restrained by the over-politeness which blights a lot of English communications.

I believe that the English were also open and honest until the nineteenth century (by which time you lot had already left) when we a.) became afflicted by Victorian values

b.) changed our spellings to sound more French. 

I wish we Brits were both 'ruder' and better ably to cope with 'rudeness'. There would be a lot less sulking...

And if that don't take us off topic, nowt will!

In a nutshell, the David Aungst fix involves chopping the A/B cans about 1" from the opening, painting the back end white (for the ceramic covered lining of the A/B housing) and painting the front end a dark, exhausty colour. Makes it much easier to get paint coverage; otherwise you're trying to spray paint into a blind hole, with predictably bad results.

-d-

9 hours ago, David H said:

In a nutshell, the David Aungst fix involves chopping the A/B cans about 1" from the opening, painting the back end white (for the ceramic covered lining of the A/B housing) and painting the front end a dark, exhausty colour. Makes it much easier to get paint coverage; otherwise you're trying to spray paint into a blind hole, with predictably bad results.

-d-

Ceramic jet pipes!! What a storm in a teacup. Hahahahaha! (Sorry)

Interesting solution David, but unsuitable for me as I'd pork it up either at the cutting or regluing stages. I'm away from home now so I can't see the things except in fading memories but I think I'll cut big holes in the bottom of the moulding to facilitate any spraying. I'll leave a lip to support the turbine face. 

I've got three ideas so far about the different colours. One, employ a liner of thin plastic card. B, spray the white and then dip the grey. And third, check the references and decide it's not worth the trouble. If you can't see it clearly in the photo I get out of jail free! Time will tell.  

Nil progress so far this week as 1/1 scale life has been seriously overwhelming me and leaving little time or energy for 1/48. Since I retired I've been so busy....

Perhaps it's a good thing that I have done nothing on the Tomcat. I was proceeding in ignorance anyway and was certain to make some errors. Now I have some decent references and so I can say with confidence that I  will be certain to make some errors.

IMG_0047_zpsyapqpjvu.jpg

This was the first to arrive. A sadly defunct journal from long ago. If you don't know the series, they are well worth having. They are full of sound information and excellent illustrations. For example:

IMG_0048_zps0zwaubqr.jpg

The kit contains decals for the IRAF. I'm tempted, very tempted to take the road less travelled and do a dusty and worn example. What do you think?

My other reference was this:

IMG_0049_zpsjpscpqhs.jpg

Another superb series of books for modellers. I immediately turned to the walkaround pages and found this:

IMG_0050_zpsu8bqqmko.jpg

Not exactly Insignia White anymore. And there seem to be a few bits and pieces missing from here:

IMG_0042_zpsendcfkjw.jpg

I'm not aiming to make a perfect reproduction, the odd misplaced panel or line of rivets won't keep me awake at night, but I want to give a reasonable impression of the complexity of the real thing so I'll be adding some detail when I resume work. For now though, I'm reading.

• Like 1

Hello folks!

Back to the bench at last. I've been looking at photos in my books and online (including a Britmodeller walkaround, I believe). Concentrating solely on the NWB as I'm doing this beastie one sub assembly at a time. The bits and pieces absent from the excellent Tamiya moulding seem to be mostly electrical cable looms and some small bore pipework. Not too tricky then, though in the event, it took ages - I am severely out of practice.

NWB%209_zpsrvhs4ogh.jpg

Note the hydraulic pipes and valves/couplings at the top of the actual leg (the picture is upside down of course as were the parts I worked on tonight - makes things a lot easier for me to understand).

IMG_0053_zps0owzvhwp.jpg

Suddenly this appears a bit empty...

IMG_0054_zps0oqludrj.jpg

My hydraulics. Just an impression, guys! Its under the aircraft, in the shadows, and is only about 4mm across. You will be surprised how effective this kind of sketching in of detail can be. And fitted:

IMG_0055_zpsxbsuiljw.jpg

You can see all those looms on the left of the first picture. I decided that I'd represent only two. That will complicate the space enough for me.

IMG_0056_zpsvjyi1dvq.jpg

I've used different materials. One is an aluminium wire which isn't round in cross section, just like a real loom. The other is this strange cotton wrapped copper wire:

IMG_0063_zpsnsabp9zd.jpg

I'm hoping that it will look like a wrapped loom when it's painted.

The majority of the wiring passes through this junction box.

NWB%207_zpskh7eate1.jpg

Like this:

IMG_0057_zpsd01kww48.jpg

I noticed this mass of hydraulics and decided that it was worth representing

NWB%206_zpszn5wmlow.jpg

So in went some more fine wire and a piece of solder. Again, it's not 'accurate' but representative. One definition of a model is a simplified copy of something complicated used to help to understand the original. I like that definition as it inoculates me against perfectionism!

IMG_0058_zpsattjsvwh.jpg

I watched a documentary on the Tomcat on YouTube while the superglue dried and then began to prime. Disaster, I have run out of cellulose thinner so the enamel and lacquer primers were useless. It would have to be the Vallejo black acrylic primer. Now. I don't like this stuff much. It tends to clog and I'm unconvinced by the adhesion, but it was that or nothing... In the bay, there should be plenty of surfaces for the primer to hold onto so I'm keeping fingers crossed and pressing on.

And this is how it all looks right now:

IMG_0059_zpstgu4gpkt.jpg

IMG_0060_zpsolevjxcl.jpg

IMG_0061_zpsq68xmxsn.jpg

IMG_0062_zpsl5ckfyki.jpg

Is it just me or is that beginning to look like a half-decent resin nose wheel bay?

Tomorrow I'll have a bash at painting the thing. 

• Like 3

I've spent some time today painting the nose wheel bay and generally, I'm pleased with the result. My brush hand could have been steadier in places but I'm old now and prepared to give myself a free pass on occasions.

IMG_0074_zpsz27yojhl.jpg

The first step was spraying a base coat. I used Vallejo Gloss White, let down a bit with a grey/blue colour they call Field Blue. I don't like to use a pure white because I'll have nowhere to go for a highlight and the bay is in the shade, and filthy.

IMG_0064_zpsabmxng9d.jpg

The 'white' is applied unevenly in a most careful way so that the black primer darkens the shadows and exaggerates the three dimensional form.

And the other side.

IMG_0065_zpszgyxjry5.jpg

That cotton wound wire was a right mess! Acrylic paint makes natural hair brushes splay out and perhaps it had the same effect on the wire?

After drying for an hour, on went some enamel washes in brown and dark grey. This again puts shadows around all the details and makes painting them so much easier as you don't have to go all the way round a box, pipe of cable.

IMG_0071_zpsuejb6j72.jpg

Ew, it looks awful magnified by fifty times (on my monitor). It's ok on the plastic though. (Must try harder!!!!)

IMG_0073_zpsrzhnc1ya.jpg

Nice shiny fescalised ram. That's AK Interactice True Metal, polished up a bit.

What do you think of it so far? I'm not getting much encouragement here and I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm the only one that likes a Tomcat.

• Like 8