Tamiya Tomcat - Unfinished - No Pictures

Hello Dom, a very nice detail job you've done on your wheel bay. 

You might already know now, but the raised detail on the canopy should be there. If you look at photos of F-14 open canopies you will see it. One strip in the forward section, and one in the rear section. It's mentioned on ARC forums. See below.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/179443-f-14-canopy-question/

I also have one of these kits on the go. Like yourself, I build in sections and out of sequence. I started construction by assembling the main fuselage. I painted all the Fuselage and Air Intakes white before assembling them together. The fit is that good. The detail really sticks out after a black wash. I will post a photo should you wish to see how it looks. 

Regards, Joe 

On 11/04/2017 at 10:44 AM, Delayar said:

That looks great!

However, the raised thing behind the RIO seat should be black.

Cheers,

Markus

Quite right, thanks.

23 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Hello Dom, a very nice detail job you've done on your wheel bay. 

You might already know now, but the raised detail on the canopy should be there. If you look at photos of F-14 open canopies you will see it. One strip in the forward section, and one in the rear section. It's mentioned on ARC forums. See below.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/179443-f-14-canopy-question/

I also have one of these kits on the go. Like yourself, I build in sections and out of sequence. I started construction by assembling the main fuselage. I painted all the Fuselage and Air Intakes white before assembling them together. The fit is that good. The detail really sticks out after a black wash. I will post a photo should you wish to see how it looks. 

Regards, Joe 

That canopy thing is very interesting. You told me just in time! ON closer examination there is a raised detail INSIDE the canopy, right under the very faint mould line on the outside. I'll still polish the outside line but leave the inner one. Too fine to paint, I wonder is a wash would work...

There is one over each seat. Never seen anything like it before. Static discharger? I guess the canopy might charge up from the airflow but surely, they all do? Why would it be a problem needing this big fix?

And yes please, post anything you have on here, I'm not territorial.

2 hours ago, per ardua ad ostentationem said:

That canopy thing is very interesting. You told me just in time! ON closer examination there is a raised detail INSIDE the canopy, right under the very faint mould line on the outside. I'll still polish the outside line but leave the inner one. Too fine to paint, I wonder is a wash would work...

There is one over each seat. Never seen anything like it before. Static discharger? I guess the canopy might charge up from the airflow but surely, they all do? Why would it be a problem needing this big fix?

And yes please, post anything you have on here, I'm not territorial.

Hello Dom, you and I both missed something. I had not noticed the mould line on the outside. I'll look for it when I remove the canopy from its plastic bag. 

I've posted another link below about the internal detail. Looks like your correct, and it is Static discharger. 

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?p=274995

Below is my Tomcat fuselage after being painted white, and then given a black wash. 

You can see how much panel line detail Tamiya have put into this kit. 

05508A73-CE84-49EB-817F-276F5AE3A7A2_zps

This is all I've done so far. 

Regards, Joe 

5 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Hello Dom, you and I both missed something. I had not noticed the mould line on the outside. I'll look for it when I remove the canopy from its plastic bag. 

I've posted another link below about the internal detail. Looks like your correct, and it is Static discharger. 

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?p=274995

Below is my Tomcat fuselage after being painted white, and then given a black wash. 

You can see how much panel line detail Tamiya have put into this kit. 

05508A73-CE84-49EB-817F-276F5AE3A7A2_zps

This is all I've done so far. 

Regards, Joe 

Nice one Joe!

I think that a black wash on white paint is very stark but there's so much beautiful engraving under there that it would be a shame not to. You'd never mistake that for an Airfix kit would you?

I'm inpressed by your MNF on the intakes - very tidy.

• Like 1

Thank you, maybe a grey wash might have looked better.   :hmmm:

I painted the intake leading edge parts (D14 & D15) before attaching them to the Air intakes (D3 & D16). 

Regards, Joe 

13 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

I painted the intake leading edge parts (D14 & D15) before attaching them to the Air intakes (D3 & D16). 

Regards, Joe 

And I read your post immediately after sticking D15 & D14 firmly to the intakes. I had to laff!

Did you paint some panels in different shades of white or is that my imagination. If you did, the effect is so subtle that I can see it on my phone but not the old laptop. 

I painted all the panels separate at the same time. I then weathered them all over the course of a few days. Some do look different shades, but this is by accident. I'm happy with the way it looks. It was when I glued all the sections together, I noticed it. I'd left the top section of the fuselage off so I could glue as much as possible from the inside so as not to ruin the paint. This included the Air intakes and parts K14 & K15. Only then did I glue the top on which I've also painted. 

I make my models in sub-assemblies as much as possible before gluing them together.

Below is an example of how I do it. 

5D360EB6-28BE-45EC-A178-478E89EE54CE_zps

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fatboydim said:

I make my models in sub-assemblies as much as possible before gluing them together.

You are onto something there. I was thinking about this overnight. When I was young and had lots of time I used to paint almost every part before assembly. Of course I'd stick wheel halves or drop tanks together first but mostly it was individual parts that got the paint. Sometimes this was frustrating as I wasted time painting parts that I'd then spoil with glue or sanding to fit. Sometimes I'd waste time painting things that I could not even see in the finished aircraft.

This was before I used airbrushes or primed my surfaces (I used Humbrol Enamels then). As I grew up time on the hobby became scarcer due to family etc. I had to find a way to get things done faster. I began to assemble more before painting. 

Then I began to use the airbrush. The results pleased me but it took so long loading and cleaning that time was again shrinking. Moving to acrylics helped enormously as drying times shrank away to almost nothing. However, the need to use primer added another chore and as I preferred to use a cellulose lacquer primer I'd try to minimise the number of sessions due to the stink. The answer seemed to be to work the model the way the AFV modellers do - build it all and then paint it all. It was a practical solution for the times.

This Tamiya masterpiece has got me thinking that it's time to change my style:

• There's no doubt in my mind that the parts will all fit perfectly and won't be ruined by sanding (except when I really mess things up myself. LOL!). This is not applicable to all kits, of course.
  • I have the time now. The only pressure on my time is my own 'Hurry up!' driver that wants to see the job finished - result of a lifetime working to deadlines, I guess.
  • I'm finding better primers and that some acrylic paints can be applied without priming anyway.
  • I've got a decent airbrush that cleans up easily.

So, I'm going to build sub-sub-assemblies and paint them; then sub-assemblies and so on. Many parts can be painted easily and well before any assembly at all. It's going to be interesting making this change mid-build and conquering the urge to hurry up will be a battle indeed. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

I find time a big issue now. I used to make vacforms, which I enjoyed. But I would never have time now. I find making models in sub-assemblies, I see some progress. I thought getting older would give me more time, WRONG. I seem to have less time, not more. By the time I get in from work the evening is just gone. 

I use acrylics now, and have done for some years. The best I ever used were Aeromaster. I never needed a primer with them. Unfortunately, they are no longer available. I prime with a Tamiya rattle can now, then I use Tamiya and Mr Hobby for the top coat. 

Making well engineered kits does save a lot of time. I've used the technique on Tamiya, Finemolds and even a Hobby Boss Corsair. 

I've also used this technique on camouflage aircraft. The fuselage and wing section can be easily lined up with a bit of care. Taken apart after masking, then painted. 

I've broken down my Tomcat to build in sections. 

1, Cockpit 

2, Forward fuselage

3, Main fuselage

4, Jet nozzles

5, Wings and tail section

6, Undercarriage 

7, Pylons

8, Weapons 

9, Details (seats etc)

I won't necessarily build them it that order. 

Looking forward to seeing more progress on your Tomcat. 

Regards, Joe. 

On 13/04/2017 at 8:53 PM, Fatboydim said:

I've used the technique on Tamiya, Finemolds and even a Hobby Boss Corsair. 

I've also used this technique on camouflage aircraft. The fuselage and wing section can be easily lined up with a bit of care. Taken apart after masking, then painted. 

I've broken down my Tomcat to build in sections. 

1, Cockpit 

2, Forward fuselage

3, Main fuselage

4, Jet nozzles

5, Wings and tail section

6, Undercarriage 

7, Pylons

8, Weapons 

9, Details (seats etc)

I won't necessarily build them it that order. 

Looking forward to seeing more progress on your Tomcat. 

Regards, Joe. 

I'm following a very similar plan now but will have a lot more components in the 'Details' section than I would have done before (arrestor hook, coamings, Phoenix pallets, pylons etc). It's a change of emphasis, not a total revolution as obviously, I've made sub-assemblies before on this very build. I'll simply be making more of them.

So, what's been occurring? I got rid of that seam on the outside of the canopy, leaving the 'thingy' intact on the inside.

IMG_4978_zpsp3c1deid.jpg

Incidentally, while researching another aircraft, I came across this:

5153822223_6f9d4c0dfe_o_zps3istzn2d.jpg

So it's not just the Tomcat. Considering the large calibre of the wire in the canopy, I've come to believe the chappie on ARC who said it was a lightning rod. Canopies have become large and the pilot's head would be right in the firing line it there was a bolt from the blue. That might make your eyes water a bit.

The polished plastic still appeared a bit milky so it was into this:

IMG_4980_zpspln3y6ht.jpg

And then into this:

IMG_4979_zpsmbgcbx5x.jpg

For dust free drying. The sections of sprue that make up the floor of this box stop clear parts gluing themselves down irremediably.

I now turned to the aft fuselage and did this:

IMG_4981_zpsct6ai329.jpg

I'm not a fan of gimmicks like moving parts. Every swingwinger I've built has some such mechanism in there. Good grief, what's next - rotating propellers and engine noises?

IMG_4982_zpsjrvk1ean.jpg

Oh Tamiya, what have you done? There's a huge step between the front and rear parts of the pancake. But, of course, it is supposed to be there. What aerodynamic purpose it may serve is beyond my wit to work out. Answers on a postcard please......

IMG_4984_zpsqv6srojz.jpg

With the nose and wings just dry fitted, she's looking good. She's waving at you boys and girls. Wave to Tommy everybody!

I might display it with one wing forward and one back. It would cause some outrage at shows, I think. In fact, the wings were not mechanically connected at all and could be swept backwards and forwards individually. This worried some pilots who feared the worst should this happen inadvertently in flight. So those kind chapps at Grumman demonstrated that it really was nothing to get worked up about.

IMG_4999_zpsrrzhx1zy.jpg

Yep. It really could be flown like that. [In order to land on a carrier in this condition, the boat had to be VERY left hand down a bit.]

You can just make out the 'step' I referred to above, especially on the inset pic.

TIP OF THE WEEK (x2)

1)      I acquired a trolley. I think it was intended to be for nail polish and similar mysterious gee-gaws essential to the other lot. It allows me to spread out the contents of a kit without taking over the whole of the living room. You would not BELIEVE the time I save hunting for bits in the original box. 

2)     Label the sprues in your own handwriting (because you read that very easily) on BIG labels. You would not BELIEVE etc.

IMG_4990_zpsxgqor7t8.jpg

There was actually a bloke at Cosford SELLING labels for sprues so it's not my idea. Surely nobody was daft enough to have bought a pack with real money.

IMG_4992_zpsx0u08ugq.jpg

Remember that groove I made in the nose? I fixed it with stretched sprue and it sanded down a treat. Much easier to get a good finish than putty, with which I always make a horrible mess.

I find sanding seams dull and demoralising, but I have discovered that a quick rub down at the end with a pair of nylons restores the shine to the surface and the smile to my face. Make of that, what you will...

IMG_4993_zpsdjcy6mwz.jpg

Oh Tamiya, you must think I'm an idiot.

IMG_4994_zpsfxwcaibi.jpg

You are probably right and this sort of thing is really helpful. Thank you. The clear instructions and clever engineering built up to this:

IMG_4995_zpsappfi0vo.jpg

...with no trouble at all. And that is the grain of sand in the Vaseline with this kit. This mat sound ridiculous, but it's too flaming good. I know that if I follow the instructions slowly and carefully and employ minimal modelling skills, I'll end up with a model as good as any on my shelf. Which means there's no swearing. No passion. No triumph. It's like taking The Scissor Sisters out clubbing and finding out that they don't feel like dancing (happens to me all the time). Building this OOB is as challenging as assembling a die-cast (sorry for the swearing). I wish I'd tried to do this...

IMG_4998_zpspzhu5zps.jpg

Maybe next time, using the one with the flaps and suchlike. 

IMG_5002_zpsfnwvjcfk.jpg

Lovely nosewheel. I'll wire and pipe it up when I've painted it, as an experiment.

IMG_5004_zpscfyk0tpr.jpg

Main UC leg instructions. Different pages for left and right so you don't have to mentally transpose the parts. It's all done for you. [Goodness, I'm an ungrateful biatch!]

But sometimes this kit surprises one.

IMG_5006_zpswhkiiasq.jpg

Fancy having to file flats on the tyres myself. What a let down. (The file, stood on edge gives me a perpendicular cut, which is handy.)

And that seems to be the end of my photographs so I must be up to date with the blog.

Happy Easter everyone. Enjoy the Chocolate Festival while it lasts!

(Oh, it appears that it actually goes on forever....)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, per ardua ad ostentationem said:

It's like taking The Scissor Sisters out clubbing and finding out that they don't feel like dancing

Funniest thing I've read in ages 😂😂😂

Good progress too mate 👍🏿

• Like 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Tamiya Tomcat - Unfinished - No Pictures