Buccaneer salvage

I decided  to salvage this Buccaneer S1  that I originally built 30+ years ago - it was based on the Matchbox Buccaneer S2 and used bits of the Airfix NA39 kit to convert it to an S1 - over the years the finish acquired a grimy grey coat  and then had an unfortunate handling accident and was stuck away for future repair. The motivation to start the repair came after viewing the excellent Buccaneer S1 & S2 models in 1/48 & 1/72 on BM, in particular the S1 by CT Modeller and the comprehensive  build by Navy Bird of the Scale Resin S1 - fortunately I had not lost any of the parts - you can see where I started cleaning the grimy coat on LH side of model.

Photos are the best I could do on my iPhone.

IMG_4405.jpg

I decided to retain the scratch built parts, those being the folded nose, cockpit/ejection seats, wing folds, air brakes and various airframe mods -

The grime was removed and after fixing the broken bits and reassembling it  I repainted the model with Tamiya acrylic white - I always struggle with white finishes  but eventually  managed to get a white finish I was happy with - I then sprayed  the model with Humbrol Clear prior to decaling - this was a bit of a disaster  as the  whole models finish crazed for some unknown reason and I spent another week rubbing it back and then recoating it using Microscale clear gloss thankfully without any issues.

The decal sheet used is from Model Alliance Ark Royal Air Wing selection.

I also added a master pitot tube and a Flightpath etched boarding ladder set which I found a nightmare to put together & it almost did not make it on to the model - the jury struts are made from brass wire and fine brass tubing.

I have a Scale Resin S1 to do at some stage and will refer to Navy Birds post when I eventually get around to making it - for now I am sizing up the Trumpeter Wyvern in 1/48.

IMG_5145.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

In my display case with my Highplanes Sea Vixen

I have added references below I have collected over the years on interior surface colour - I acknowledge there has been much discussion on BM on what the colours should be

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5091.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg

After looking at TC2324's excellent 12 Squadron low level Buccaneer post I decided to give this one a gentle scrub and a couple of coats of gloss clear on the sea - the model is the Tamiya 1/100 scale Buccaneer S2 which is a really nice little kit and as far as I can tell no longer available?

thanks for looking

CJP

Edited by CJP
postimg.cc
  • Like 46

I

LOVE

THAT

BUCCANEER

it was a great save

I will be using yours, as well as the others you mention when I make my next navi-ation build the S1 Bucc

It's lovely 'brickwork'.   :)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, invidia said:

Great looking model. A great rescue build. Ne3d to do that to some of mine 

8 minutes ago, John_W said:

Turned out nice.

I have taken to avoiding the Humbrol clear and matt due to finish quality myself. I feel your pain.

Thanks guys - I think there are a lot of older models out there we have put a considerable amount of work into that would benefit from an update & rebirth - I would like to see some for sure - also great to hear other modellers experiences with finishes too

CJP

4 hours ago, dieselweasel said:

Really good effort CJP, whats next on the Salvage line

ATB

Jim

Thanks Jim - nothing in the pipeline right now but I have an old 1/32 Hasegawa A4 & Skybirds 86 Scimitar that need some TLC sometime - next will be a new build of a 1/48 Trumpeter Wyvern when I get motivated

CJP