1/48 Eduard MK VIII Spitfire

Calum

A bit of a palette cleanser after the Sea Harrier

I started using the weekend edition but ended up selling that so am now using the Profil pack. But I'm not going to use the PE from the profil pack . I've got a barracuda cockpit set (for a MK IX) and some ultracast goodies (Prop and Cowl also for a Mk IX. They'll be are close enough for me.

And yes it's actually going to be a RAAF aircraft from the Eduard Aussie 8 decal sheet. Probably CRC in Foliage green/brown/over blue,  as it' has IMHO the most interesting scheme

Spitfire-VIII-02-01.jpg

Some of the resin installed. To be honest I'm not sure they are that much of an improvement over the kit parts i this scale. I doubt much will be seen once after everything is buttoned up

Spitfire-VIII-02-02.jpg

The seat is an improvement but IMHO in this scale it's hard to say the control column and pedals are worth the effort.

Spitfire-VIII-02-03.jpg

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Christer A said:

You got the most important part though! The one piece cowl...

Anything from Aussie Eight is interesting, so I'll pull up a chair and watch intently.

Yeah IMHO the Cowl a must for this kit. The rest of it is pretty good. the Eduard Spitfires are my favourite 1/48 prop . This will be the third.

• Like 2

Here's the fuselage halves  already to go. 

Painted with Mr Color Lacquers and Vallejo acrylics for the details. Gloss coat was Tamiya and  I even bothered to apply the tiny decals for the various stencils -  not sure I'll bother doing that again as, most won't be seen. Wash was oil paints and flat coat is dullcoate.

Spitfire-VIII-02-04.jpg

The Seat is painted with Vallejo model air rust and other Vallejo paints. I used Tamiya tape for the foot straps (again another waste of time :D ). As I'm using the weekend edition parts, (no PE) I used the decal for the panel. IMHO this looks as good as the PE especially as it's in a dark spot so the light grey edges will make the instruments pop a little. I flat coated it and used a drop of the UV activated glue for the instrument glasses. As long as they fit I'm a big fan of decals for instrument panels, and this one fits well. 

Spitfire-VIII-02-05.jpg

Now to see how it's going to fit with the resin seat....

• Like 5

Nice work pal. 

Never seen these barracuda cockpit sets 'in the flesh' so to speak, always just catalog pics of the cream parts. So nice to see some paint on them.

Really like the way the belts have turned out 👍🏿

This is my third Eduard Spitfire and as usual there was no real problems putting things together, as long as you follow instructions. 

Even with the resin cockpit the wing assembly was a click fit to the cockpit assembly. I find you do have to bend the wing assembly down a little to get the fuselage to click into it's spot. I always end up with a little gap in the leading edge of the left wing root but this is easily solved with a bit of filler. 

The only flaw in this kit is the two piece upper cowl. Cleaning up this seam means you lose a fair bit of he nice detail. A resin cowl form either Ultracast or Barracuda is well worth the $8 to save this pain.

Spitfire-VIII-02-06.jpg

First colour was Dark earth. This is decanted from the Tamiya Spray Can . It's a bit chocolatey in colour at the moment (sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, this time not so much). Hopefully some weathering later will tone that down. I painted the black in step lines on now as Peter's Malones  book says when the foliage green was applied it was painted over the middle stone and stencils (makes sense to me). 

I then made a couple of masks  for the roundels and painted a slightly darker shade of brown where the RAF roundels were over painted. Wish I'd have done this a bit darker but it's to late now..

Spitfire-VIII-02-07.jpg

Making masks. I simply downloaded the PDF from the Eduard site, snipped out the 3 views of the aircraft and using Paintshop pro cropped an resized them to the correct size. Then I print them out on A4 self adhesive label paper. Cut out and stick on the model. I like to de-tack the label paper first as it is quite sticky . 

This works well for flat surfaces but a little adjustment is needed for sharp curves like the top of fuselage.

Spitfire-VIII-02-08.jpg

After removing the masks and carrying out a few touch ups I masked out the lower colour. 

Spitfire-VIII-02-10.jpg

Then after using a ton of masking tape I sprayed the white leading edges and fuselage band. Eduard give you a decal for the fuselage band but I figured I'd paint it.

Spitfire-VIII-02-09.jpg

Now to let all that go off for a day or so and put a wash over it.

• Like 9

Hello Calum,

Nice job on CRC, I used Life colors set for my own CRC.

The one piece cowling is a pretty good idea.

Lovely job on your VIII, I like her.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hi Calum

What was the part description for the ultracast Prop and Cowl also for a Mk IX?

Nice job with the kit and I have taken some tips from your paint job, thanks.

9 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Hi Calum

What was the part description for the ultracast Prop and Cowl also for a Mk IX?

Nice job with the kit and I have taken some tips from your paint job, thanks.

These are the ultracast bits I used

http://www.ultracast.ca/products/48/264/default.htm

http://www.ultracast.ca/products/48/260/default.htm

19 hours ago, Procopius said:

Calum, for Spitfire masks, I use these. They're scaled to 1/48 and already factor in curvature, etc. Plus: free!

Thanks they look useful.

• Like 1

Decals are on

First was gloss coated with 2 light coats of Gaianotes clear lacquer.

Main markings are from Cartograph and went down without any issues  although I did use Mircosol and set.

The stencils are Eduard and I'm a bit vary of these so I applied then directly into a pool of future. After the decals had set I sealed them with another coat of Gaianotes. The next day I gave the model 2 coats of Tamyia flat. 

Flat coats are my nemesis , I still haven't found one I really like. Everyone I've used I still,from time to time get the old little white spec. I also like to weather with oils so I need one that'll be imperious to mineral  spirits etc.  ....  I haven't found one that truly meets my requirements as yet. I've got Gaianotes flat coming so I'll try that once it arrives.

Anyway , the images

Spitfire-VIII-02-11.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-12.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-13.jpg

• Like 6