Moebius 1/144 XD1 Discovery: RELEASED!

The Tomohawk Kid

On 25/08/2017 at 07:06, The Tomohawk Kid said:

UK retailers are starting to advertise the kit.

http://www.timeless-hobbies.com/2001---a-space-odyssey.html

Thomo

Yoiks! That's a bit pricey. Culttvman has it for pre-order at $149.95 US.

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/2001-Discovery-1144-scale-from-Moebius-Models--14995--PREORDER-RESERVATION_p_3778.html

Edited by iSteve

19 hours ago, iSteve said:

Yoiks! That's a bit pricey. Culttvman has it for pre-order at $149.95 US.

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/2001-Discovery-1144-scale-from-Moebius-Models--14995--PREORDER-RESERVATION_p_3778.html

I was merely pointing out UK based outlets are now advertising the kit, nothing more, nothing less. I posted the link to Cults pre-order a couple months ago in this thread.

Thomo.

A quick calculation shows $60 shipping, so you'll pay VAT @ 20% on $210 plus the gotcha fee, which I expect would be £13. Totals around £210 after tax and allowing for my terrible maths.

At one time importing yourself from the likes of Cult, Starshipmodeller and HLJ was the way to go, today the margins are somewhat finer. The big advantage of DiYing importing is speed of delivery, one can have your desired kit months in advance of UK retailers being in a position to ship.

Top tip: Don't forget to ask the overseas retailer to remove the local VAT.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Agreed, thats why I got the new Space:1999 Eagle kit from USA even though it only saved me £4 from the price at TImeless Hobbies, however it arrived a over month before TH had their shipment.

I usually import a lot from Asia and used to import from the US as well but not so much any more as the shipping has gone up quite a lot IMHO. Golden days when there was still surface shipping available. It took long but was very cheap. Never quite understood why this was given up.

On 04/09/2017 at 2:48 PM, Caerbannog said:

I usually import a lot from Asia and used to import from the US as well but not so much any more as the shipping has gone up quite a lot IMHO. Golden days when there was still surface shipping available. It took long but was very cheap. Never quite understood why this was given up.

Pressure put on postal companies to use spare airline capacity. It was a quiet way of bunging airlines money after the 2008 Financial crisis to avoid airlines failing on a large scale. My former employer used air even though it cost quite a lot more than ground transport and was also more vulnerable to the weather.

8 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Pressure put on postal companies to use spare airline capacity. It was a quiet way of bunging airlines money after the 2008 Financial crisis to avoid airlines failing on a large scale. My former employer used air even though it cost quite a lot more than ground transport and was also more vulnerable to the weather.

This cannot be the initial reason as surface mail was dropped in May 2007 already. I will never forget the day when the news got in ;-)

I heard it had something to do with 9/11 (so today 16 jears ago) but I never understood why this was given as a reason. Would be something different if they stopped air mail...

Another reason given is the cost for the post office: The return mails are more difficult to handle with surface (or seamail) than with airmail. Again I am not clever enough to understand this argument. However - for commercial customers there are alternatives to the expensive airmail. But other than that I know nothing about it. I always wanted to check with people who own classic US cars and how they get their parts. I doubt they send a replacement hood or a refurb gearbox by airmail...

Maybe I should better sart a new topic. Sorry for the airmail hijack.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The Tomohawk Kid changed the title to Moebius 1/144 XD1 Discovery: RELEASED!
  • 2 weeks later...