Operation Granby Bucc

So in between the group builds I'm busy with - in particular the F-16 build - I had started making the Revell 1/72 Buccaneer - box art below:

c2bb4d7c-e37b-401f-90a1-17274cc8a827_zps

Now to say this was a difficult kit that fought me at just about every turn would be an understatement but I enjoyed it all the same.  The model is very basic with very little cockpit or fuselage detail and would benefit from the inclusion of some ordnance but once complete I think is a pretty good rendering of a bucc.

This particular model is of an Operation Granby bucc and again I think this scheme helps to show off the lines of the aircraft in a pleasing light.  The model is built completely out of box with no scratch building as I just wanted to keep this one very simple.

At this point in time I have given the aircraft next to no weathering and was debating whether or not to go any further.   A quick round up of your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

So here she is - by no means a show standard piece - and as always your comments are most welcome:

DSC00326_zpsx5kelhgv.jpg

DSC00321_zps8cbqihle.jpg

DSC00320_zpsubx1prai.jpg

DSC00319_zpsnvhwe8na.jpg

DSC00318_zpsxe8jfliy.jpg

DSC00323_zpsjrypicqt.jpg

DSC00324_zpsctwuq9vf.jpg

Edited by planecrazee
  • Like 22

Nice looking build. I'm not a Buccaneer fanatic like some on BM but I do have a couple in stock to be done in RN colours one of these days & it's always nice to see one done in 1/72 & such a nice job made. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Looking very good indeed considering it's the old Matchbox offering. As for weathering......horses for courses but I know from working with them that if it has nose art applied it means it's definitley dirty! The art wasn't applied until later in the campaign and by then they were filthy despite the efforts of the ground crews.

12 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks eng and Simon for your feedback. I was definitely looking to weather her up so your feedback has confirmed my intentions. Thanks folks.

Make it a nice light weathering though, that should show it off to the max!, nice job!

I'm biased toward EDSG Buccaneers but when I saw it was a Granby one I had to have a peek. Agree with others about the filth. You should have seen some of our Mk4's out there. Nice to see an old Matchbox kit being built.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome job, I especially like the detail you got on the crew and the clean lines defining the BLC, how did you manage that?  I just hope I can get that accurate a paint job on my Bucc when it is finished. It does looks like the arresting hook may be positioned too far aft. I have never tackled a Revell kit, so don't know how accurate they come.  I would be proud to display this if it were mine. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your kind feedback Brit - much appreciated. I'm not sure about the arresting hook as I have a limited knowledge of buccs. I look forward to seeing your model when it is completed and wish you good luck for your build.

Kris