Question On Acrylic Paint Primers

BetaSingh

Hello all,

I am relatively new to modelling, and I am making my first properly big plane soon. I have heard that with acrylics, a primer is essential. I am wanting to buy a primer from Hobbycraft (A UK Hobby Store), and I was wondering if I should get the Revell Aqua Color Primer, which costs £4, or the Humbrol Matt Primer, which costs £1.60. I am painting with a Revell White Gloss, and I don't really know the difference between the two types of primer, so, for the model which I am making, a Revell 1/144 Lufthansa 747-8, do you guys think I should get the Revell or Humbrol Primer?  All advice is greatly appreciated!

I use white spray primer from a spray can to prime. I use Duplicolor or Hicote from the local DIY shop or motor factors. I do 1/72 fighters, and I get 5-6 builds from a tin.

Mitch

• Like 1

Hi BetaSingh, 

For a white top coat I would advise white primer - as Tony just said- otherwise you will use a lot of white paint covering the grey.  TBH If either of the two you mention are designed to be brushed on, I'd leave them be - as in my opinion a brushed primer is a waste of your time and money ( even £1.60!!)  All you are doing is potentially adding another layer with brush marks, where as a primer should give you a nice silky smooth, erm... primed surface to work over. :)

Invest in a spray can of Halfords white plastic primer - or unless you intend to brush paint the white gloss - buy a can of Halford gloss white too ( Appliance White seems a fave in modelling circles)

If you do buy the spray cans - shake them well, and stand them in a bowl of hot water too for a few minutes.  This makes the paint inside spray far more evenly and cleanly.  Try and mist on coats and keep the can moving so you don't allow the paint to build up and pool.  Let the primer dry totally before you overcoat it too. You can give it a rub down with some very fine wet & dry paper used wet too - if you want to knock of any bits of dust or whatever that invariably settle)

You'll need to work outside for this as it's a fairly messy, smelly business, but it does work, and you'll get a very good solid white to either brush paint over, or apply your gloss spray can over too.

Other spray primers are available - I only suggest Halfords as they are easy to find - and often close to Hobbycraft stores too. Humbrol do quite decent matt white spray can - which Hobbycraft might stock.

Good luck - and please do let us know what you decide on, and how it goes!

cheers

Jonners

• Like 2

If your new to rattle can spraying, just be careful with the gloss spray after you have used the primer, which in my experiance always sprays better and easier than the gloss coats due to it being matt.

Practice on a old model first before you try on the 'big project' as spray cans can put a lot of paint out very quickly and it's so easy to flood the model, especially with gloss

I was thinking of getting the Revell Primer, and brushing it on, since I don't really have the equipment necessary to set up and spray my model with primer. One person said it was  waste of money, but a video by the modelling channel Quick Kits showed me that I really did need primer, so I am still leaning towards a brushed primer. If possible, can someone tell me how I can apply the brushed primer best? And can I prime with Humbrol varnish?

Thanks All

BetaSingh

Edited by BetaSingh

16 hours ago, BetaSingh said:

I was thinking of getting the Revell Primer, and brushing it on, since I don't really have the equipment necessary to set up and spray my model with primer. One person said it was  waste of money, but a video by the modelling channel Quick Kits showed me that I really did need primer, so I am still leaning towards a brushed primer. If possible, can someone tell me how I can apply the brushed primer best? And can I prime with Humbrol varnish?

Thanks All

BetaSingh

If I were you I would get a spray can, practice before on some newspaper. Brushing primer is a tricky matter. I wouldn't prime with varnish, part of the thing that primer does is shows up rough spots that need a bit more work. Varnish wouldn't.

I see that everyone is leaning towards a spray can primer. But why? What are the advantages of a spray can primer, and what are the disadvantages of a brushed primer? As the spray can primer is more expensive, and I don't need the large quantity of primer that they supply me with, so in all honesty, I have not much clue why everyone likes Spray Can Primer so much, so if someone could explain that to me then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again guys

BetaSingh

Hello BetaSingh,

using acrylics generally I prime a kit by brush with heavily thinned Humbrol enamels, H64 or H32, to give some bite to the paints and to show the  faults in the job.  

To do so I use a large flat brush and it satisfies me almost completely.

I realize that i need to improve my english.

Greetings,

Paolo

1 hour ago, BetaSingh said:

But why?

Spray primer will go on smoother than brushing. It’ll also create a thinner layer of paint, so you’re not risking hiding or painting out details. Painting with acrylics is like coating your model with fragile thin plastic layers. The initial layer (primer) really needs to stick to the model to prevent further layers peeling or flaking off.

Spray primers often contain chemicals that allow them to etch very slightly into the plastic, which for us acrylic users is ideal. The downside is that if you make a balls up with it, it won’t come off easily. So be careful to mask off those bits you don’t want covered like canopies etc. Another bonus is that using a spray can is a lot quicker than brushing, it takes seconds to prime an entire aircraft.

Hobbycraft should stock Tamiya Surface Primer (at least my local one does, as well as Tamiya Extra thin glue). Tamiya primer will shrink down and really hug the details as it dries. It’s perfect. Yes, it costs more than the brush on stuff, but one (large) tin has so far lasted me four 1/72 aircraft and half a Gundam robot, and I’m guessing it’s only half used. Halfords primer is not bad, but I feel the extra money spent on the Tamiya is worth the price as I know it will work perfectly for me every time.

Take precautions, wear gloves and perhaps spray outside or in the shed/garage, as it stinks and is not too healthy for you. Practice on something other than your model like a yoghurt pot or piece of plastic packaging to begin with, just to get the right distance/coverage etc.

Mart

Thank You All

Today I went to Hobbycraft, and after much deliberation, I decided to take the more expensive option and buy the Humbrol Spray Varnish Primer, at a cost of £5. I have to thank you guys so much for all your information, which helped me learn so much and change my common misconceptions. So once again, thank you very much. I hope to start building the Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 by Revell in the Easter Holiday (1st April - 14th April). 

Again, I thank you all profusely

BetaSingh