Avro Canada Arrow 1/72 'what if' Modern Colours

I'd been a bit nervous to do this. I've only started airbrushing at the start of this year, and this was the biggest kit (after my SM79) that I've done. I am also incredibly conscious of how expensive/hard it can be to replace this kit if I break parts of screw up the build. Luckily it all went well, and I feel I did the overall build to a good ability. I did forget to finish the wheels (the metal on them) but never mind. I'll get that done for our show on Sunday. 

If you want to see a bit more in depth description or some more photos please follow the link as fast as the Avro Arrow. As I'm not home right now I can't get the photos I've put in that article here it seems and they've had the horrid background edited to look better. 

32618069574_2d8edf570a_b.jpg

32618071114_33484a54f5_b.jpg

• Like 26

Interesting idea. I see you have used the earliest Hobbycraft kit where the aileron actuator fairings are on top of the wing. They(Hobbycraft) corrected this in a follow up issue which then was improved even more in a third issue of the kit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Interesting idea. I see you have used the earliest Hobbycraft kit where the aileron actuator fairings are on top of the wing. They(Hobbycraft) corrected this in a follow up issue which then was improved even more in a third issue of the kit

Yeah. The reason is because it was the only version I could get hold of. Funnily enough I have got the new one now which I'll do in the real life colours. I wanted to do it out of the box though ^_^

It looks really very good, except the wing leading edge - I suppose these should be more sharp in supersonic aircraft.

BTW, this plane is quite well known in Poland, as the prototype has been test-flown by famous Polish pilot Janusz Żurakowski,guy who had fought as a fighter in Poland in 1939, then during the BoB shot down 3 Messerschmitts in 234 squadron, then commanded Polish 316 squadron and been deputy commander of Polish 1st Wing. Shortly before the war's end he became test-pilot in Boscombe Down, testing over 30 various planes including Meteor, Vampire and Hornet. He was not allowed to return to the commie-occupied Poland, so decided to emigrate to Canada. 

More about Żurakowski you can read on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janusz_Żurakowski

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GrzeM said:

It looks really very good, except the wing leading edge - I suppose these should be more sharp in supersonic aircraft.

BTW, this plane is quite well known in Poland, as the prototype has been test-flown by famous Polish pilot Janusz Żurakowski,guy who had fought as a fighter in Poland in 1939, then during the BoB shot down 3 Messerschmitts in 234 squadron, then commanded Polish 316 squadron and been deputy commander of Polish 1st Wing. Shortly before the war's end he became test-pilot in Boscombe Down, testing over 30 various planes including Meteor, Vampire and Hornet. He was not allowed to return to the commie-occupied Poland, so decided to emigrate to Canada. 

More about Żurakowski you can read on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janusz_Żurakowski

My dad was part of the Arrow program and played on the same soccer (football) team as Janusz Żurakowski.

My father turns 89 this weekend.

• Like 4

Sorry for the late response. Been a tad busy! 

Thanks for for all the kind words! It's had good response at shows too! Super happy with it! Even more so than when I finished it originally!

On 03/18/2017 at 6:47 AM, Head in the clouds. said:

She is a big ole Interceptor, would have been interesting to see how things would have turned out had they been purchased.

I feel that, like TSR.2, advances in avionics, airframes and engines would have quite quickly rendered them obsolete, but the air forces that owned them would have been forced to carry on flying them to save the government of the days' prestige (wrapped up in the excuse of 'the public purse').

Still would've been nice to have a service history of them both.

13 hours ago, Rob G said:

I feel that, like TSR.2, advances in avionics, airframes and engines would have quite quickly rendered them obsolete, but the air forces that owned them would have been forced to carry on flying them to save the government of the days' prestige (wrapped up in the excuse of 'the public purse').

Still would've been nice to have a service history of them both.

I think this is actually pretty accurate. I think they would've both served up until maybe the early 2000 in some obsolete rolls - as secondary strike aircraft. They probably would've been sold onto developing nations too. If this kit wasn't so bloody rare I'd probably do one in another countries scheme...but right now I have this and a second kit for the IRL aircraft. The TSR2 on the other hand is a lot easier to find...