Stealth - Chinese style..New J-20

bentwaters81tfw

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. The two aircrafts shown (2016 and 2017) are supposed to be the last two prototypes.2017 in particular should show the final configuration changes before the start of production. The first pre-production aircrafts are now said to have entered limited service, hopefully in the next few months some more information will be made available on this aircraft.

In terms of stealthiness the consensus among the experts is that it should be stealth from front only, like the F-35. Sizewise though this is a large aircraft, larger than an F-22

Trumpeter made a kit of the first prototype a few years ago and then issued a new kit of prototype 2013. Hopefully they'll follow up with a production model as soon as enough is known of these (not that knowing everything is important to Trumpeter to issue a kit of course...:D)

9 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Supposed to be the answer to the F-35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpPQ0_f_UvU

Looks about a stealthy as a crate of oranges.

That's the point ... Perhaps they want to conceal crates of oranges?  Who would suspect what looks like a new military aircraft of actually being a crate of oranges?

Just a mad thought at almost 03:30am.

• Like 1

It didn't seem to take long to get this thing in to service, or at least not when compared to the F-35.  I wonder what that says about its capabilities. 

48 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

It didn't seem to take long to get this thing in to service, or at least not when compared to the F-35.  I wonder what that says about its capabilities. 

It also depends on what "in service" means.  We know that The first USAF F-35 units have achieved IOC last year and other units are operating in the training role.  The status of the J-20 in Chinese military service is unfortunately not clear, it was declared in service but this could mean anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

The airframe aspects of the F-35 haven't really changed much...it's the software and data integration that have been the long poles in the tent.  Unfortunately the footage of the J-20 says nothing about its capabilities as a combat airframe, which is far more than just it's shape and stealth capabilities. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wallyinoz said:

And I thought the F-35 was ugly!

F-35 might not be the prettiest aircraft out there but it's a country mile better-looking than its Boeing competitor, the X-32 which is so ugly it could be French. 

BoeingX32JointStrikeFighter1.jpg

I think the airframe designer was watching a David Attenborough programme about Basking Sharks when he came up with this fugly design.

As to the J-20, it's not much of a looker.  It seems oddly long and strangely boxy. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

F-35 might not be the prettiest aircraft out there but it's a country mile better-looking than its Boeing competitor, the X-32 which is so ugly it could be French. 

+ 1

Quality, need to remember that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Mhaselden and PLC1966

Oh, you mean as ugly as Mirage III or Mirage 2000? Or perhaps aesthetic nightmares like Caravelle, Mercure and Gazelle if we also count airliners and helicopters? Cheers

Jure

Jure my friend,  the Gentleman made me laugh, it was my type of humour, and humour is something that if you have to explain it you don't understand it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Oh, you mean as ugly as Mirage III or Mirage 2000? Or perhaps aesthetic nightmares like Caravelle, Mercure and Gazelle if we also count airliners and helicopters? Cheers

Jure

More like this collection of beauties:

113684.jpg

amiot143-2.jpg

6e988d4549e492f0028489415975b576.jpg

potez-75.jpg

RwpNa4B.jpg

Now it has to be said that many countries, not least the Brits, created some equally ugly airframes (Blackburn Blackburn anyone?) but the French did take ugly to new levels.

And for the record, my tongue is ever so slightly in my cheek, 'cos the Mirage series are very good looking aircraft.

• Like 3

I know exactly what you mean and for me it is Breguet Provence/Sahara/Deux-Ponts ... which I have trouble even to look at:

Air_France_Breguet_763_Provence_Manteufe

However, along with hideous ones, many airplanes of pure elegance (and in most cases, with performance to match) have been produced in the last century or so, starting with Deperdussin Monocoque. I think in the case of France The Good outweighs The Bad and The Ugly. Cheers

Jure

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2017 at 11:54 PM, mhaselden said:

BoeingX32JointStrikeFighter1.jpg

I think the airframe designer was watching a David Attenborough programme about Basking Sharks when he came up with this fugly design.

As to the J-20, it's not much of a looker.  It seems oddly long and strangely boxy. 

French? French?

je ne crois pas.

Michael