Rudolf Berthold's Fokker D VII - looking for advice

rs2man

I recently acquired the 1/72 Revell Fokker D VII in the markings of Rudolf Berthold  , thinking it should be relatively simple by WW1 aircraft standards since it has virtually no rigging & the kit claimed to include lozenge decal for the underside .  I then found that the lozenge decal was just the outlines printed onto white decal & they expect you to paint the various colours into the outlines .  I've decided that life's too short & intend to buy some Pegasus lozenge decal instead .  However , Revell suggest it was 4-colour lozenge & the Roden kit of the same aircraft says 5-colour .  Can anyone enlighten me as to which it was ?

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

I'm fairly certain that Berthold's DVII was an early model and should have five colour lozenge. It also used the Mercedes engine but the Revell kit has the BMW engine. I've copied and pasted part of a thread I posted to on ATF. Hope it helps.   Regards, Steve

It's a simple conversion that Ray Rimmel first publized in Wings in the 70's or 80's. The exhaust is removed from the kits BMW engine. The Mercedes exhausts exit the fuselage half way down the starboard side. Drill a hole and then find a small piece of 10 thou card. Drill two small holes next to each other and push hss into them and cement. The hss goes through the fuselage hole and the card acts as a plug which is glued into place. Add the radiator and use plastic card or sprue to fill in the step where the exhaust would have lain. File to shape. Remove the filler cap and relocate to the centre of the radiator top. The vents on the fuselage sides are from the later BMW version and I simply removed some with a file in Roden fashion. The late Dan San Abbot reckoned there were somewhere in the region of a dozen different vent patterns so what ever you do it won't be far wrong. The Osprey books offer various alternatives. The rest of the kit is as Mr Revell intended.

There is also a conversion nose piece from Roseplane for the early Fokker.   I have one here in my hand and I owe you one favour.   Confirm the 5-colour lozenge, with some Fokker streaking Green starting at the cockpit middle forward to the Red engine panels.

It can be on its  way in tomorrows post.

Cheers, Tony