Hi there;

Very good rendition of the original,thanks for sharing.

I am waiting for the end result,a big group of Tomcats.👍

Regards,Laz

• Like 1

Brilliant made model, with the Doomsday load on here, don't believe F14 could land back on a carrier with that set up.

Also the one reason Iran had been able to keep America from striking them, they use them as a very powerful defense system, still have a few left.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Doomsday load on here, don't believe F14 could land back on a carrier with that set up.

I think they could land on deck like this with a 4/2/2 load. 

The real doomsday load - I believe it was the 6 all (live?) phoenix load that was over weight to land on a carrier again, so a couple had to be fired or jettisoned? 

There are plenty of 6 training type phoenix load pics, especially if you google vf-211 A plus birds around 1990/91 but they are the CATM blue band training rounds that are perhaps(?) lighter than the live ones so perhaps the landing weight restrictions don't apply to them?

It would be stupid to take off from a boat with 6 captive training rounds and then have to dump/waste two of them just so you could land on deck again. So I guess all the pics as mentioned above of 6 rounds are when they were at an NAS ie ground based?

Anyone know for sure?

Saying that I have never seen a 6 phoenix loadout with all live (brown/yellow banded) missiles - has anyone else?

PS thanks for the all the nice comments.

• Like 1

A lovely looking cat!  That is some very neat canopy frame painting and the ejection handles are perfect!!  Great skill.

A very nice touch is the insignia on the main wheel hubs.

Phil

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

A very nice touch is the insignia on the main wheel hubs.

Yeah a bit of artists licence there. 

Seen that on a Later Swordsman F-14B.

Whether the earlier A models had it or not I don't know but its a cool touch as you say 👍🏿 

Hello,Tony - My full compliments to you on this superbly built,detailed and finished addition to your 'Tomcat' Fleet. I love the quality of the painting work and also the restrained degree of weathering which I think looks just right.Your chosen scheme with the Insignia Blue makes this model a real eye-catcher and one to be very proud of.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Looks great Tony, and solid data point for the 72nd scale Tomcat model memory bank. Like i said before, had you not said it was HobbyBoss, i woulda thought it was a Fujimi one.

david

• Like 1

On 19 March 2017 at 13:58, Mark4700 said:

Superb job. How does this compare to other 1/72 Tomcats? 

Ok I reckon.

In isolation they don't look like 'not a tomcat'

😁

Would like to see a hobbyboss one next to finished Hasegawa/fujimi one to compare. 

Only built a revell one prior to this, these hobbyboss ones are better in terms of shape, fit and detail in my opinion... 

Is there anyone out there that has done a Hasegawa one aswell as a hobbyboss? 

• Like 1

Well done some research and cross refrencing and there are several things wrong with this build. 

So if this is supposed to be the vf-32 CAG bird during desert storm then the following things are wrong - 

Stuff I could fix/repaint:

1. BuNo is wrong. The plane with the BuNo it’s wearing spent most of its life with vf124 and a couple spells with vf24 before finishing up with the evaluators. 

2. It should have a black anti glare panel and windsreen framing that splits the blue between the radome and canopy. 

3. The logo on the wheel hubs is a later thing, when the sqn used F14B’s towards the end. 

4. The CVW-3 on the tail stripes shouldn’t be there. 

5. The tail hook is white, not gull, with black stripes. 

6. The weight and event panel on the left nose gear door shouldn’t be there. 

7. The strengthening plate around the RIO’s footstep needs removing. 

Things I can’t correct because I don’t have the decals...

1. The slanted nose numbers should be in insignia blue and have a yellow shadow. 

2. The kill mark silhouettes should be insignia blue aswell. 

3. The pilot and RIO names on the canopy frame are wrong and should be on both sides, aswell as the CAG/DCAG below the sill. 

4. The drop tanks need a sword logo adding to them. 

Thats all I could find for now...

Debating at the minute whether to attempt a partial repaint and change it to a different jet/time frame from vf32 or change squadron aswell. 

I believe that you were planning on building this jet for the grumman GB @Giorgio N ?

• Like 1

Hi Tony

I have indeed started building this same aircraft in the GB, unfortunately though I got stuck with other things and the model is still just primed... yet another GB fail😥

I agree with your research, in particular I don't know why 159611 as serial number kept being mentioned ! It was first used by Superscale on one of their decal sheets and nobody seems to have checked...

Fujimi got their research right in their "black tails" box (the one I', using for my build). Well, ok, not completely right.. for example they mention black for everything that was dark blue on the real aircraft, so not only they want the modeller to paint the radome motif and tail in black, numbers and migs are also in black. The execution of the decals is also not great, the font used for the "Swordmen" titles on the tail for example is pretty bad and there are other similar issues.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this happened. 

Couldn’t put up with it anymore so it’s going to become something else with insignia blue and yellow! 

With some careful sanding it should just need spot painting and touch ups hopefully. 

Build doesn’t need changing, but will put some of my ‘empty’ resin pylons on it and perhaps some better wheels. 

1301263-A-EABA-4479-ABE7-5-DA43278-F7-FE