Sutcliffe/Airfix York Conversion in 1/72

The Sutcliffe York conversion "kit" gives you two vacuformed fuselage sides with a mis-matched central tail find and that's it. This is one of his earliest offerings, even before it became Contrail, and it shows. It was drawn over a male mold, so there was little to no surface detail and what there was, was deep and soft. That central fin had to be removed and repositioned. The wing roots were too short in the cord, so had to be removed. I imagine, given its age, that it was meant for the second release of the Airfix Lancaster, but I got a new releas dambuster version at a bargain, so I used that. All detail on the fuselage is from scratch. The windows were done in a weird way. The had a dimple, then a raised section, then the impression for the actual window. Accordingly, the windows wind up in a sort of recess. The doors were represented by very crude indentations that I had to fill and replace with stretched sprue. The new Airfix wings fit well, but the central spar had to be replaced as the York's fuselage is wider. I didn't do a natural metal finish as, quite frankly, it the job I did didn't merit it. I've seen them painted silver, so that's the way I went. The markings are spurious and what were on hand. Anyway, it looks more like a York than anything else I have. 

DSCN4607.jpg

DSCN4608.jpg

DSCN4609.jpg

DSCN4611.jpg

DSCN4610.jpg

• Like 18

You've done a great job on this, I had that conversion at one time, long long ago along with a heap of his other conversions, as you say, very crude & even if I still had my York conversion I don't think I'd want to try & use it, which to me, makes what you've come up with all the more commendable. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Very nice conversion build. And your are brave to do it in NMF... 

7 hours ago, gamevender said:

The new Airfix wings fit well, but the central spar had to be replaced as the York's fuselage is wider.

Indeed fuselage is wider, but wingspan is the same. In York the fuselage "consumes" some part of wing, I think. 

BTW - it is the highest time to do old conversions. In this year two complete kits of York apeared in 1/72: by Mikromir and by Mach 2 :).

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

• 3 years later...