Disaster!

Simon Cornes

I have owned a Badger 200 since 1973 when I swapped it for a train set at a now long gone LMS ! It has given me faithful service ever since but, tonight, idiot that I am, whilst cleaning it due to a build up of Tamiya varnish - which I don't normally use - I dropped it onto my quarry tiled floor. At the time I had unscrewed everything prior to prodding it with sharp stick but it 'leapt out of my hand' (meaning I dropped it) and now the rear part of the central chrome casting - which is threaded internally to take the blue 'handle/needle barrel' - is no longer circular which means that the barrel won't screw back on.

I actually managed to do the spray job - more varnish - that I wanted to do but it looks as though my brush needs a new centre body. That's really the heart of the brush isn't it but if anyone can offer any advice then I would be grateful (Could be a case of 4 candles !!)

Simon

A new body if you can find one will cost you something like £50 with vat  & postage.

You can pick up a second hand 200 fairly cheap...(depending on the version,) and use the parts from that and keep the rest for spares.

The other option is to use it as an excuse to upgrade to a new brush.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I have thought about this a little more and I would say that at least 80% of the circumference is undistorted so I'm thinking of using a rotary bur to 'circularize' the aperture again and then I have 80% of the thread left to screw the blue needle holder into and is should still be centralized - that's the theory but I have nothing to lose! I also already have a Badger/Revell Vega double action brush - sadly the fixed cup is rather small so no good for volume spraying but then its not designed for that . My 200 will be repaired I think!

Simon

Dude, I never knew the 200 was that old...! I wonder if it's the same spec as the one I picked up around 10 years ago; it sounds like the same colour scheme anyway.

Whatever, if you have any further grief, PM me 'cause mine works fine but I don't really use it now 'cause I sort of got accustomed to the dual-action thing. My 200 has a spare needle but no actual box -it came in a sort of card/bubble pack with a small propellant can and hose, and I bought an extra paint jar and a bottom-fit paint cup for it. If you can use any/all of that (even just for spares) I'm sure we can come to some mutually beneficial arrangement!

HTH.

7 hours ago, AngstROM said:

Dude, I never knew the 200 was that old...! I wonder if it's the same spec as the one I picked up around 10 years ago; it sounds like the same colour scheme anyway.

Whatever, if you have any further grief, PM me 'cause mine works fine but I don't really use it now 'cause I sort of got accustomed to the dual-action thing. My 200 has a spare needle but no actual box -it came in a sort of card/bubble pack with a small propellant can and hose, and I bought an extra paint jar and a bottom-fit paint cup for it. If you can use any/all of that (even just for spares) I'm sure we can come to some mutually beneficial arrangement!

HTH.

I think mine is probably older than yours if yours has a bottom fit paint cup. Mine has a jar underneath where the lid screws onto the chromed body, ie the attachment is vertical. I think the later ones have an angled connection. I have to say that its a very good brush. I used it to do mottle camouflage on a 1/72nd Ju 88 nightfighter and with the pressure turned right down and the needle only just cracked open it was superb, in fact I was amazed that it was that good! My other brush is a Revell/Badger 'Professional' brush, which is a Vista if bought direct from Badger. Very good double action brush but tiny pait reservoir - probably good for spraying small areas but my Badger is the only option if you want to blast on a coat of varnish!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Mine has a jar underneath where the lid screws onto the chromed body, ie the attachment is vertical. I think the later ones have an angled connection.

You would be correct, Sir! The plasticky tube that comes out the top of the paint jar, or the syphon from the metal cup, are push-fitted into an angled hole under the nozzle.

Sadly, as a club-fisted oaf, I was never able to achieve your level of finesse with this otherwise fine tool. (Or with anything else, for that matter!)

6 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

You would be correct, Sir! The plasticky tube that comes out the top of the paint jar, or the syphon from the metal cup, are push-fitted into an angled hole under the nozzle.

Sadly, as a club-fisted oaf, I was never able to achieve your level of finesse with this otherwise fine tool. (Or with anything else, for that matter!)

The strange thing is that I owned it for years without ever finding out what it could do. Its the kind of thing you should hang on to because you may well have a moment when it all falls into place and then you'll be glad you've got it! Not sure about finesse but I think that  you may surprise yourself one day!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Its the kind of thing you should hang on to because you may well have a moment when it all falls into place and then you'll be glad you've got it!

Well, it's not exactly eating me out of house and home, and I don't really need the money! I'll have to pull it out and re-acquaint myself with its rustic charms! ;)