Russian Ordnance Question...Calling Flankerman!

AngstROM

"Quick, Chief O'Hara -the Flankerphone!" (OK, I don't think Ken is gonna screech up to City Hall in a heavily customised jet-powered black Moskvitch...but you never know!)

In the meantime, can anyone help me out identifying the bad boy on the starboard intake position 'neath this Su-35S (the one that isn't a folded-up Kh-35), please:

Link only, 'cause this is not my property -probably Ken's!

I have un-friended Google, and it won't be getting a card this Christmas :rolleyes: -Mucho TIA!

2 hours ago, AngstROM said:

"Quick, Chief O'Hara -the Flankerphone!" (OK, I don't think Ken is gonna screech up to City Hall in a heavily customised jet-powered black Moskvitch...but you never know!)

In the meantime, can anyone help me out identifying the bad boy on the starboard intake position 'neath this Su-35S (the one that isn't a folded-up Kh-35), please:

Link only, 'cause this is not my property -probably Ken's!

I have un-friended Google, and it won't be getting a card this Christmas :rolleyes: -Mucho TIA!

If you look at that picture in the links title, it tells you its a KH 35 ASM

Selwyn

13 hours ago, Selwyn said:

If you look at that picture in the links title, it tells you its a KH 35 ASM

Indeed; as I mention in my OP it's the other one I was stuck on! (And yet another bit of hardware that doesn't seem to exist in 1/72...:huh:)

18 hours ago, drake122 said:

35u.jpg

This one is a Kh-35...

38.jpg

... and this is a Kh-38 on the other side.

Judging by a photo, on rockets the following inscriptions,

the top picture are put:

Kh-35UE ( russian X-35УЭ)- Export version of Kh-35U, in production
lower picture:

Kh-35ME ( russian X-35МЭ)

where letters:

( russian -У) - upgrade (улучшеная) or unified (унифицированная)

( russian -Э) - export (экспортная)

( russian -M) - modified (модифицированная) or a target ( мишень)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AngstROM said:

Indeed; as I mention in my OP it's the other one I was stuck on! (And yet another bit of hardware that doesn't seem to exist in 1/72...:huh:)

is it actually available to at least the Russian forces?

or is it still in testing/ etc!

the Kh-35 at least seem to be used by the new MiG-29K/ KUB  carrier variant

Maybay_MiG-29K-KUB.jpg

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=212178&d=1360494570

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

Judging by a photo, on rockets the following inscriptions,

the top picture are put:

Kh-35UE ( russian X-35УЭ)- Export version of Kh-35U, in production
lower picture:

Kh-35ME ( russian X-35МЭ)

where letters:

( russian -У) - upgrade (улучшеная) or unified (унифицированная)

( russian -Э) - export (экспортная)

( russian -M) - modified (модифицированная) or a target ( мишень)

B.R.

Serge

No, the lower picture says  X-38МЭ

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Х-38

Take note of the picture with the Su-35

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sukhoi_Su-35_on_the_MAKS-2009_(01).jpg?uselang=ru

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AngstROM said:

I know for a fact that Trumpeter's new Su-33 kits have 4 Kh-35 missiles included (can a Su-33 even fire those ?).

Edited by drake122
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drake122 said:

I know for a fact that Trumpeter's new Su-33 kits have 4 Kh-35 missiles included (can a Su-33 even fire those ?).

Not sure about the capability of the Su-33 in this regard; I understood it was predominantly tasked with the A2A mission and (in practice) only carried the appropriate tools...

Indeed there are four quite convincing Kayaks with the Trumpeter kit; as you've probably guessed I'm working up to building the Hasegawa Su-35S as Black 902 (Begemot decals) because although I'm not that keen on splinter schemes it does stand out from the usual blue-spectrum or 'aubergine' over blue.  I would like to represent a similar or identical something-for-everyone loadout like the one in the photos, but can't find a Kh-38 ready made. I thought about adapting a Harpoon but they aren't as similar as I'd hoped. Sooo...there will be some radical surgery on one of the Kh-59s in the above mentioned Trumpeter box, as well as some delicate fin-folding mods for the Kayak

• Like 2

On 14/03/2017 at 19:08, AngstROM said:

"Quick, Chief O'Hara -the Flankerphone!"

Did you know there's a way of actually doing this in a thread now?  Simply type an @ symbol, followed by the first few letters of the username in question, thusly: @Flankerman. Spin round three times, sacrifice a chicken over the alter of Sukhoi, and he should arrive :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, magman2 said:

Cy-33  on board the Admiral Kuznetsov off Syria coast.

What beautiful photos! Many thanks for posting these -wonder what's on the centreline stations in the top one...them's aint fer dogfightin'!

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Spin round three times, sacrifice a chicken over the alter of Sukhoi, and he should arrive

"And I am sorry about your black cockerel, Aunt Ashton; but he said we must use it so, if we were to see all that could be seen." -Frank Sydall, just prior to his death, in 'The Residence at Whitminster' (M.R. James) 

Huge thanks for this Magus-level tip, Sir! :worry:

On 15/03/2017 at 11:10 PM, AngstROM said:

Indeed there are four quite convincing Kayaks with the Trumpeter kit...

...and I think they're the land/sea-launched variant! The airborne ones seem not to have the rear section with the pop-out vanes. I did find a photo of a KA-52 with this type loaded, but all the Fulcrums and Flankers in Webland are carrying the shorter one. 

I suppose I can saw off the back section, but I'd even gone to the trouble of making little hingey bits that the aforementioned vanes were missing. Enough to make a chap bash his head on the jolly old desk, what?!

The icing on this gateau is that I can't even post a photo of this little gem-in-progress, because apparently we're not accepting Flickr shares here...

The Cy-33 is really a Fighter, and at the moment can not carry smart Weapons. Dumb Bombs were used in the recent Syrian operation.

The smart weapons were carried by the MiG-29K/ KUB. Normal ground weapons would be Bombs and Unguided Rocket pods.

The Russians are not serious about aircraft carriers, and will probably sell the Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier.