Italeri (nee ESCI) 1/48th Skyraider AEW Mk1, quick build...

Ok guys, there was initially no intention of posting this build. It was intended as quick build, a break from helo building...

Ok, a bit of history for the newer modellers out there, who might have seen this kit recently and fancied building it. The kit was originally released by ESCI, sometime back in the 80' and for the day it was quite presentable.

It has a few problems but the moulds seem to have stood up well in the intervening years. The parts are still crisp and almost flash free, the only drawback if you can call it one is the raised panel lines, the plastic is however a tad soapy. That makes rescribing a bit of a chore. Two sets of markings are offered on Fleet Air Arm from 849 NAS and the one I shall be building, the second US Navy. 

Here is the box art...

IMG_2186crre_zpszjotnkvv.jpg

The kit parts after i had aleady started the build...

IMG_2184crre_zpsqgmjzbie.jpg

The fus, halves and the assembled wings... The red pen lines denote the armour plate which has to be removed, as does the wing fillet which incidently is far away from where the wing upper surface meets the fus, side!!!

IMG_2183crre_zpshsraszmg.jpg 

After a couple hours of carefull sanding all the armour plate is removed and some more filling and sanding has taken place...

IMG_2236crre_zpsmqvtqbb9.jpg

Next up, paint the wheel wells and add the inserts I should have added to the inside undersurface of the wings before assembly!

Ok, as they say in the Mickey Duck cartoons, 'That's all folks'...

• Like 7

Great start heloman1.

I built one of these last year for my Suez build.

But I only used the specific AEW parts of the kit and grafted them to a Tamiya A-1.

Good luck with your build.

/Bosse

4 hours ago, Marlin said:

Great start heloman1.

I built one of these last year for my Suez build.

But I only used the specific AEW parts of the kit and grafted them to a Tamiya A-1.

Good luck with your build.

/Bosse

Just wondering, how well did the Italeri AEW parts fit the Tamiya kit?

8 hours ago, hopkp said:

Just wondering, how well did the Italeri AEW parts fit the Tamiya kit?

Hi hopkp.

Actually they fit rather well. 

Please see for your self.

Pictures are avaliable in my WIP thread from page 3 onwards.

/Bosse

Looking good Colin,.....should be plain sailing from here on, now that you have got rid of the armour plating and fitted and faired in the side panels,..... did I read correctly that you have chosen the US Navy variant? I like the RN one in the pics that I sent to you which has the AEW radome covered in graffiti as a post box!

Cheers

Tony, 

On 3/15/2017 at 9:51 PM, tonyot said:

Looking good Colin,.....should be plain sailing from here on, now that you have got rid of the armour plating and fitted and faired in the side panels,..... did I read correctly that you have chosen the US Navy variant? I like the RN one in the pics that I sent to you which has the AEW radome covered in graffiti as a post box!

Cheers

Tony, 

Thanks Tony and for the ref, pics you sent, magic. no deffinitely doing a RN cab, 849 my first front line squardron although I was stil a sprog aircraft mechanic. No need to do the US jobby...

Colin

I might just have to take a back seat form this build for  while. Scaleworx has asked me to concentrate on the Westland Super Lynx build (see elsewhere in the WIP section) I mastered the parts for this and Scaleworx have brought it to the marketplace) so feel obliged to carry on from my initial biuld thread. I will dip into this build as the weeks progress but not with the idea of it being a quick build...

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, well, my new lady is geting in the way of serious modelling but hey, that's life... I've done some wrk mainly cleaning the scribed pane lines and filling all the imperfections. I've built the two oil cooler ducts aft of the engine cooling gills, pics to follow. Quite easy, just styrene sides with rolled top decking then sanded to shape, such that there is.

I aslo after lots of prevarication got the cockpit tub and inside fus, halves painted up in matt black. New pot of Humbrol MB, can stand a brush up in the tin, it's that thick...

More soon...

Colin

• 8 months later...

Ok guys, I'm back. I;ve been working on soemthing non aircraft related, which has besides other things taken all of my modelling time...

So here is whare i'm at at present. I've rubbed, rubbed and re rubber the fus, and wings and now think I have ridden them of all the filling and sanding marks (can you ever). I managed to file/sand the inner corner of the flap on the starboard side which I restored with a triangle of plasticard... we shall see if it survives further sanding!!!

We don't have an LMS so I have to use the local art shop for modellign supplies, sadly the owners ordring system is erratic. So I'm waiting for paint...

Ok, Photobucket is playing games, so I'm unble to post the images I wished...

Until the cows come home...

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so much so for a quick build. My local art shop which is one sourse I reply on for paint is dragging it's  brushes (heels) re ordering paint, I think I'm not going to get this one finished until into the New Year!!!

IMG_1316crre_zpsmlzv901g.jpgIMG_1317crre_zps6y3oxo0a.jpg

Here's where i'm at at present, Photobucket finally let go of the images...

Thanks to those of you who have been following the build. Have a lekker (good) festive season.

Colin

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Ok Guys, managed to get this one finished. It's been almost a year since i started, the build was fraught with problems of fit and accuracy but here we are...

The underwing decals were too large or as I thought but they were maybe an earlier type. Anyway, I replaced them with what i consider to be a more scale look. Similarly the fin flas holding the R was incorrect in colour, so that was hand painted. The rest are fromthe kit sheet. They went on a treat.

IMG_1978crre_zpsrfconmx9.jpg

IMG_1976crre_zps86f9sm54.jpg

IMG_1977crre_zpsk3x4oec2.jpg

I'll post these in the RFI section.

Thanks for following my build, quick it was not...

Colin

• Like 5

Thanks Martin, slow by my normal standard but then this year has not been normal. New lady in my life plus other things to divert me from modelling!!! Thanks for the comments.

Colin