Airfix 1/600 HMS Belfast - decal query

Flag_overlord

Hi I don't know if anyone can help me.

I've got the Airfix Belfast kit as above, there isn't a decal sheet, but the instructions show decals for eg ship name, flags, depth markings.

As far as period is concerned, I plan to build "as is" (with the Artwox decks and WEM PE!) - I believe the North Cape. 

Does anyone know if the Belfast displayed depth markings/ship name at this time - and any suggestions as to where I could get these (I'm thinking possibly trying to get the decal sheet for the King George V if possible?)

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi, a quick look on Google images seems to show depth markings on all images around '42/'43, but I can't see the ships name on the stern. This could be because it was remove or painted over. Or it could have been censored and edited out of the photo when developed.

My grandfather served on HMS Faulknor and I can't find a single picture with the ships number on the side, was it never there or was it or edited out? :shrug:

For the decals check out Hannants, I'm sure they'll have a set of some kind with some depth markings, or just use a white pencil/thin brush?

Best of luck with the build

Geoff 

19 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Hi, a quick look on Google images seems to show depth markings on all images around '42/'43, but I can't see the ships name on the stern. This could be because it was remove or painted over. Or it could have been censored and edited out of the photo when developed.

My grandfather served on HMS Faulknor and I can't find a single picture with the ships number on the side, was it never there or was it or edited out? :shrug:

For the decals check out Hannants, I'm sure they'll have a set of some kind with some depth markings, or just use a white pencil/thin brush?

Geoff 

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Have been searching for 1/600 decals, no joy even on Hannants so going to attempt Airfix for the George V decals... Thanks for the best wishes for the build. It won't be for a while, I'm still getting bits together for it. 

23 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Geoff 

Hi Geoff,

I think you will find it was never there, HMS Faulknor was a flotilla leader and as such didn't display a pennant number. She was the leader of the 8th Destroyer Flotilla made up of the "F" class destroyers,

Bet wishes

Richard

Hi Richard, Thanks for that. I've never added the numbers to my models of her, but I was never sure as to the reason for them not being there. I've always been curious why just about every other destroyer displayed them but Faulknor didn't. 

If you want to accurately build Belfast at the North Cape you will have to omit the catapult and planes - landed by this time - and some of the AA tubs. The WEM PE is good but some parts are for specific periods and the instructions aren't the clearest. The turrets are also not thick enough, a sheet of plastic card glued to the top really improves them. If you need help I can see what I can dig out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/03/2017 at 9:44 PM, TallBlondJohn said:

If you want to accurately build Belfast at the North Cape you will have to omit the catapult and planes - landed by this time - and some of the AA tubs. The WEM PE is good but some parts are for specific periods and the instructions aren't the clearest. The turrets are also not thick enough, a sheet of plastic card glued to the top really improves them. If you need help I can see what I can dig out.

Hi TallBlondJohn, sorry I've been distracted from the Belfast for a bit. Any info you've got would be helpful (I'm really annoyed as I saw a book on HMS Belfast on Ebay and decided not to get it). 

Have to come down to London en route to Kent in July, may take a side trip to visit the original.

Anatomy of the Ship: HMS Belfast is worth getting if you are a detail fanatic as almost every part needs a tweak, but there aren't a lot of pictures from the 1942 time period. Belfast ended her rebuild with 5 20mm twins and 4 singles: The twins were one on B turret, two on each side of the bridge structure and two on the stern. The singles where each in a tub just before and after the catapult on each side. By 1945 20mm AA guns totalled 21 but there is no record of when the extra 7 were added. I'd omit the extra tubs on the catapult deck and go with that.

According to Anatomy the Walruses were removed June 1943 during repairs at Rosyth, though the catapult was retained until 1945 so you can use the lovely WEM PE catapult. (HMS Edinburgh landed her catapult in 1942). Its possible the space was used for extra ships boats but no evidence. This was also when the sheet anchor was plated over. The Carleys below the 4" mountings were vertical, not horizontal in 1942 and mounted on the deck shields and supporting lattice structures, not to the deck edge. Anatomy shows them to be grouped 3+3 below the bridge (omit the centre one), then 1, 2, 3 amidships and 4 on the rear superstructure. By 1945 they were all horizontal, including on the bridge and aft superstructure. Maybe the Arctic kept knocking them off? Many are missing on photos taken in Kola.

John at WEM did send me an email expanding the PE instructions but I lost it in a hard disc death. From what I can remember, you don't need #2 (1940 only). #41 is a simplification, the bridge roof structure was more complex. #47 should be a 3-bay lattice not a simple crossbar box. #16 are wrong (and didn't fit for me), replace with plastic strip following Anatomy, or are fine if you are covering them with Carleys. #12, rear ladders, should have a square top floor, not triangular, so that they fit against the superstructure part not away from it (i.e. they point down towards the centreline, not the stern).

If you run into anything specific ask and I'll see what I have.

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Like 1