This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cmatthewbacon

Top Gear 24

16 posts in this topic

...wel, I enjoyed the first episode;  bit "back to basics", but the segments were all interesting. No, the three of them don't have same chemistry that three guys who've worked together for a decade and a half have (it's the bickering as much as the banter...), but they all did OK, IMHO. And Chris Harris is leagues ahead of Clarkson, Hammond or May when it comes to commentating while driving insanely fast things -- I mean who engages the balls-out "Qualification Mode" in an FXX-K, turns the traction control off completely and can lap a track whilst STILL talking articulately (ish) to the onboard camera...?

I shall definitely catch up with the next episode soon...

best,

M.

I never watch it now since they brought in Le Blanc, shows ruined without Clarkson, May and Hammond.

1 person likes this

I have been thoroughly enjoying it too - yes it's different to the Top Gear of old, but in a way it's very refreshing. If you need your fix of The Three Amigos then The Grand Tour is a pure banter and a laugh a minute (I love the Grand Tour by the way) but with the current three presenters on TG it makes it a little less 'silly' and generally more informative. I think both The GT and TG have their place and each will carve their niche.

All in all it's great for motoring fans.

Tom

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, allyby said:

I never watch it now since they brought in Le Blanc, shows ruined without Clarkson, May and Hammond.

How do you know if you've not watched it?

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, alan1302 said:

How do you know if you've not watched it?

Try using some common sense will you, of course I've seen a couple of shows but have now stopped watching it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by allyby
1 person likes this

I like Matt le Blanc and Chris Harris but the jury is still out on Rory Read and I would prefer Sabine Schmitz as the third presenter!

I wasn't that impressed with the Guest section - it seems a bit uncomfortable for all 4 of them- but other than that, I enjoyed the show!

Sure, it's not Top Gear of old but if the presenters are allowed time to gel, it has potential to be at a similar level to Clarkson/Hammond and May but if the show looses Matt and Chris......

Sabine is a definite no , but it seems that Rory was down to a few minutes - really annoying minutes, on sunday nights show.

If they do choose a new number two Harris will be a weak number 3, but the big 3 will never be replaced.

Much better now than the first series and nothing cringeworthy this time (some aspects of The Grand Tour made me cringe). I think Top Gear now has a good format and I enjoyed the Porsche against the Lamboghini.

I think if they got Sabine I'd definitely watch. Or Susie Wolff perhaps. 

I like it, great entertainment and full of cars, three presenters are very good, the show needed refreshing.

Topics about old, classic or type are best, modern cars are very washing machine like in soul.

maybe the Guest could be a test so to step in if one leaves.

The old crew were brilliant, but painted themselves in a corner with to much stupidity, but they was good at it.

Women and cars, Hmmmm, not sure, don't hear of to many talking cars, bit like a model maker liking football.

On 19/03/2017 at 11:12 AM, Harley John said:

I think if they got Sabine I'd definitely watch. Or Susie Wolff perhaps. 

Not sure Susie would be able to do much though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39304047

I can't stand Chris Harris, he's almost as irritating as Evans. As for the other chappie, he hardly seems to join in.

Having  said that, last night's was the best so far, albeit, IMHO, from an exceptionally low starting point. It could have been the DB11 that did it. And Sabina of course.

Graham

Don't need no stinking driving licence to drive on a track!

On 15/03/2017 at 1:17 AM, oggy4624 said:

Sabine is a definite no

Any reason why?

Is it her presenting style or has she declined a full time part?

Terrible presenter. As wooden as they come.

That whole golf segment was pure garbage and made for 10 year olds - thats why TV's have an off switch and I will use mine.

Watched a bit the other night as did my wife.  We both thought the presenters were amateurish in the sense that they were either trying too hard or working off a prepared scrip they didn't really believe in.  A bit like watching your neighbours act out the amateur drama in the village hall.  Mr Le Blanc was super in Friends but out his depth.  Hard to put a finger on it and maybe in time they can get it all to click but for now............nice try but no cigar

Still better without Chris Evans but that can be applied to most things

2 people like this

I've enjoyed all three, but agree with most of what's been said.

Old men and cars works so well, mainly because they remember driving cars in the old days.

Very hard on the Triumph sprint, I drove both Ford 2000 and Sprint, at 19, you wanted the best, wasn't much to choose between them, both fast, 2000, looked modern, Sprint classy 😎