Land Rover breakdown truck - Wallace Motors

Hey Britmodellers

I wanted to share a build I did for the Beyond The Box SIG at Telford. I finished the model at the beginning of November (just in time for the show, very last minute dot com!) but I have only just got round to taking some pictures outside. The idea behind the SIG is to take one of the Aardman inspired Airfix kits (i.e. Wallace & Gromit, Shaun the Sheep) and to give it a bit of a twist. The theme for last year was 'From Military to Civilian'. My idea was to take the Land Rover kit as if it had been demobbed and had a Harvey Frost crane installed at the back.

MP 009

MP 010

I knocked up the Wallace Motors signage in Powerpoint choosing 1950s versions of the Shell and BP logos. The red, yellow and green colours in the signage in turn influenced my choice of colours for the Land Rover and the woodwork.

MP 008

The Harvey Frost style crane was scratch built from plastic tube / plastic card and detailed with various items from the scrap box. 

MP 011

The stonework was created from a cork floor tile. I cut out brick size pieces and sanded them down to take off the sharp edges. The cementwork was done by grouting with Polyfilla. The door and window were built from a pack of bassword bought from Hobbycraft and glazed using the clear plastic from a CD case.

I will bring the model along to the Cosford model show in April.

Regards

Richard C

• Like 13

Brilliant and with both of my favourite characters. I see Grommit  sitting queitly inside. Did you get a trophy or anything?

Edited by PatW

Thanks Pat. No, there was no trophy this time round. We just enjoyed working to a theme and letting our imaginations go. The display is also popular with the general public as it's something a bit different. It's organised by Nick Allen who is a long standing member of IPMS. He first came up with the idea of going 'beyond the box' i.e. taking a stock kit and giving it a bit of a kit bash.  

Regards

Richard