72nd scale AZ Model Spitfire Mk.VIII, 54 Sqn, RAF, Australia 1944

Hiya Folks,

Here is another one that I have recently added the finishing touches too, the AZ Model Spit Mk.VIII, still wearing the desert camouflage in which it was delivered from the UK to Australia, as per the early MkVIII`s,.....with the later ones wearing Day Fighter Scheme.  Most of the desert schemed Spits were repainted before entering service in Australia but a few slipped through the system including this one which joined 54 Sqn RAF up in the Darwin area;

DSCF9686_zpsfvohzta8.jpg

DSCF9688_zpsaihf5gmh.jpg

DSCF9690_zpsisghwypy.jpg

DSCF9700_zpspgec7vcw.jpg

DSCF9696_zpsxxkqs86i.jpg

DSCF9697_zpsunroerqv.jpg

As usual it was brush painted, using a mixture of Humbrol enamels and acrylics,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 42

That's really nicely done, as always Tony :).

I've had one of these AZ Mk. VIII's on hold for a year or so, I know they're a bit tricky in places. You've done a fantastic job here.

Very nice combination of desert camo and RAAF style roundels.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Clearer wording.
  • Like 1

Very nice, as usual, Tony and a very striking finish.

I wish I'd bought more of them when Hannants were knocking them out, about a year ago, for under a tenner; the Eduard one looks good (I have two sets of the over trees) but I suspect they ain't nearly so easy to build.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 1

A great looking Spit Tony. Your brush finishes really are excellent.  An interesting scheme too.  I have the SEAC MkVIII from AZ in the stash so I hope it turns out this good.  Anything to look out for with the build?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I wish I'd bought more of them when Hannants were knocking them out, about a year ago, for under a tenner; the Eduard one looks good (I have two sets of the over trees) but I susp ft they ain't nearly so easy to build.

Having built both, I would say the Eduard is substantially easier to build.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A great looking Spit Tony. Your brush finishes really are excellent.  An interesting scheme too.  I have the SEAC MkVIII from AZ in the stash so I hope it turns out this good.  Anything to look out for with the build?

Cheers,...... glad you like it,....... no it is a pretty straightforward build, just test fit everything and clean up parts before using them, the prop and spinner can be a bit fiddly but easily within your fine capabilities.

10 hours ago, Beard said:

Very nice, as usual, Tony and a very striking finish.

I wish I'd bought more of them when Hannants were knocking them out, about a year ago, for under a tenner; the Eduard one looks good (I have two sets of the over trees) but I suspect they ain't nearly so easy to build.

Cheers Beard and as above really,.....  the Eduard kit has finer tolerances and better detail compared to the AZ kits but the upper cowling of the Eduard kit can be a pig and the large number of parts can put some off, while the AZ kit has far less parts but needs more cleaning up along the way.

Thanks for all of your kind remarks everybody,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Thanks Tony. that's good to know.  I've built a couple of AZ's Spitfires, the PR.1G and Seafire F.45, and although generally fine I found getting the cockpit interior to fit correctly a bit tricky with both.   

• Like 1

Magnificent Tony. I have never seen this scheme modelled before....truly stunning. I remember seeing photos of some of these newly delivered spitfires some years ago. It is great to see this subject come to life. Well done. 

• Like 1

Thank again fella`s for your very kind words,......I do have a soft spot for the Spit Mk.VIII! 

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Very imaginative.

Nice build of the AZ kit and your brushwork is always nice.

Cheers Ed,

I`m not fully convinced yet about the yellow codes as they could also have been grey, but a photo of this Spit appears in this book;

Image result for spitfire 54 sqn australia

All the best mate,

Tony

Hello,Tony - Another beautifully built and finished subject.This time a superb 'Spitfire'.However, considering and knowing whose built it,that comes as no surprise.

Great work as always,my friend.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1