Cockpit detailing

Lawzer

Probably the wrong forum but...

started the old (1980) airfix mosquito and the cockpit walls are sparse. Not being able to afford am I've ripped some small chips and bits and bobs from a dead computer (I work in IT) in order to jazz it up a bit.  Along with some thin wire I'm hoping I might be able to improve a bit.

Now I'm REALLY not looking to cause arguement but what are folks views on this?

best left alone or go a bit freestyle?

I've looked at pics of mossie offices so would at least try to keep it realistic....

cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'd probably just stick to running some wires where there really were cables visible on the real thing.

It's a matter of personal preference but I prefer something simplified as compared with ficticious busyness. A sheet of plasticard and Milliput are useful to have :)

• Like 2

I would add a little reasonably accurate detail - keep the more made up stuff for obscure types or areas where little info exists. Since you have  got pictures of the cockpit you might as add accurate detail, it doesn't have to be 100%, just bits that give the look of the real thing.

When I did the Airfix Mosquito a couple of years ago I basically built the bulkheads over the wing spar and added armrests to the seats.

All of which are no longer visible as the cockpit glazing is quite thick.....

• Like 1

You were right - not the right place, but I've moved it.  You're new to the forum, so we'll let you off, but I would direct your attention to the thread here.

To answer your question, I suspect that most people would say "try and keep it close to the real thing", or "you can't see anything when the canopy is on", but as it's your model built for your pleasure, you can do what you like :)  If you'd rather keep it somewhere near the real thing though, there are a lot of things you can do for relatively little (if any) money if you're prepared to scratch-build.  Get hold of some styrene strip, plasticard etc., and go for it.  It's not too difficult when you break things down to individual shapes, and if you try to keep in scale and the details to the appropriate sizes, you'll soon have a much better cockpit than you started with.  It can be quite satisfying ^_^

do what ever you enjoy doing mate, to me, that's what this hobby is all about, enjoyment....if I want to paint a Lancaster sky-blue-pink on a whim I will.

just saying mind

each to their own :D

• Like 2

When I had to add detail to an open biplane cockpit...Frog Blackburn Shark...I started with photos of the real thing and added just enough to give the impression that the rest was there. Well received by my friends, never a competition model, so it was worth the effort. 

I built up the cockpit (held with blutac) last night and you can't actually see that much of the bare walls with the fuselage together.  From the looks of it there's really only one "major" box missing so see if I can knock something together for that then some wiring and that'll do.  I think.  Maybe.