Paint stripping

F1 Insider

I have had a horrible reaction with Halfords grey primer.  When spraying it turned everything fluffy.  I cannot explain it.

However, I now need to strip the primer off to re-spray the parts.  Any advice on good products.  I don't have brake fluid unfortunately but have all the other household products.

Thanks in advance.

Isopropyl alcohol (sometimes called rubbing alcohol) should work fine. I recently used it to strip zero paints laquer. Just dunk the parts in a bath of IPA for 24 hours. Go for the 100% pure stuff, as I don't think it works if diluted or mixed with other alcohols.

• Like 1

Evening Chaps & Chapesses :bye:

I know its not a favourite here, but I still swear by Dettol. 

I know its a slower process but just works fine with me. 500ml bottle in an ice cream tub, and equal amount of water, leave the parts to soak for a couple of days and bobs your auntie. 

The paint will come of with a toothbrush, then rub the body over with some kitchen towel then wash the body off with warm soapy water at the end. 

That's the trick with Dettol, don't use water to wash the paint off...

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

• Like 1

I just use Revell Paint Remover. Does what it says on the t... erm... bottle. Stinks to high heaven but really works, and pretty fast to boot. Had to use some the other week after a masking disaster. It stripped away acrylic, enamel and Halfords Filler Primer back down to the plastic with no harm done.

• Like 1