Making skinny 1/32 solid wheels wider?

Im just about to start my first car build in a very very longtime and Im going with an Airfx VW beetle, but Im going for the custom bug look (the way I allays wanted mine to look) so I really need some fat wheels, I was thinking I could use the wheels that come with the kit but cutting then in half and widening with plastic cards looks like it might be problematic.

Any other ideas how I might go about this?

Cheers 

You could always sacrifice the inner faces to a certain extent and flat them down, adding some styrene on the inner face.  You could later try chucking the finished item into a Dremel to cut some inner detail in?  Either that or find a way to cut the wheels in half to insert the styrene between front and back sides. :shrug:

• Like 1

Thanks both, started sanding and preping the kit a bit last night and the quality and fit is a bit naff really so im going to go with sticking some sheet to the wheels and see were it takes me, i like the idea of resin casting but not at the moment. If it all failes i will get some slot car wheels orded.

On 3/15/2017 at 7:34 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

What I used to do was glue two wheels together and fill the gap between.

Mind, that was over forty years ago, times have moved on since then.

Shoking I know but these are the only wheels I have in this scale, the plastic card wheels are not going well, next I will have a go at using some of the kids DAX clay to make wider tyres and the just replace the tyer part and keep the wheel rim. If that doesnt go well a trip the Pendle slot cars for me.