Revell F-89D Scorpion

Hi Folks,
Got this kits from a good friend of mine when he was in town, The kits is quite impressive however the plastic is slightly brittle and thin. The decals option were for two aircraft d/J however I opted to do the D model. The fit were nice however for nose gear it was little complicated and fitting was hard. Some parts need filler. The next challenge was the natural metal finish and trying to give different shades, I used Tamiya chrome and Mr color silver and mix with slight black to give different shades of metal finish. The Bright was hard to paint also, my first attempt didn't give any bright red so, after one layer i applied future and paint over it, guessed it work. The Mighty mouse rocket, san decal as of now will add in soon. The marking for yellow was hard as their were no mark for ref to mask it out so it is little off.
Here are the pictures.

Thank you

image.jpg

DSC_4307l.jpg

DSC_4308.jpg

DSC_4309.jpg

DSC_4310.jpg

DSC_4312.jpg

DSC_4313.jpg

DSC_4315.jpg

DSC_4316.jpg

DSC_4308_old.jpg
Little play with photoshop to give that old look feel :)

• Like 44

That's a real beauty (if the Scorpion can be described as beautiful!).  The natural metal finish looks superb and an overall very attractive scheme.  I love this period of aviation so you've inspired me to get one of these. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Des said:

Stunning work and an amazing metallic finish , congratulations on a project well done.

Thanks Des, it was enjoyable build

22 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Beautiful beast. Great metal work, and I really like the deep dark reds.

She sure is a Beast, quite huge for a 72 scale aircraft.... Thanks for the kind words

15 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

That's a real beauty (if the Scorpion can be described as beautiful!).  The natural metal finish looks superb and an overall very attractive scheme.  I love this period of aviation so you've inspired me to get one of these. 

Yeah, Beautiful scorpion bit of oxymoron but it work it seem here :) thank you Sir, really appreciate your kind words cheers.

• Like 1

Superb build. As others have said, this really doesn't look 1/72. Paintwork and metal finish are just right. (...though for some reason I've always thought the F-89 looks like a highly dangerous machine...)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, F-32 said:

Love it! The F-89 has always been one of my favourite early jets

I wasn't a great fan of F-89 until I build it, what an Impressive aircraft and am loving it too.

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Very smart. 1/48 variant at the top of the pile.

aha, it is 72 scale

8 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice Scorpion there Tom, great finish too

Much appreciated Russ, cheers

7 hours ago, invidia said:

great looking build, the metal finish looks great. 

Thanks buddy, it has came out well.

6 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Hard to believe that this is 1/72!! An envious build!! :wink:

Best Rgds

Ben

Hehehe, even for a 72 scale she is a Big aircraft, thank you

52 minutes ago, Dave N said:

Superb build. As others have said, this really doesn't look 1/72. Paintwork and metal finish are just right. (...though for some reason I've always thought the F-89 looks like a highly dangerous machine...)

Thank you Dave, she sure was no doubt she can carry mini nuke and that sure make it very dangerous. Cheers

6 hours ago, John_W said:

Lovely build.

I can't look at a Scorpion though, without thinking of the concept of a fighter shooting down bombers with nuclear missiles, and how insane it sounds now.

Thanks Mate, cold war were full of many crazy Idea for sure....

• 8 months later...
On 3/17/2017 at 9:16 PM, Caerbannog said:

Great result. Very good looking finish.

Thank you very much, cheers

On 3/18/2017 at 6:31 PM, exdraken said:

looks immense!

great work 

:thumbsup:

Thank you, Buddy.

On 3/19/2017 at 3:33 AM, stevej60 said:

Gotta love the Scorpion,that's a beauty,

she sure is a beautiful aircraft and massive aircraft.

That is a great looking Scorpion there. I'm not sure why I missed this first time around, maybe 'cause I'm a late comer to the attractions of these huge old jets, I really like what you've done with yours, I hope I can do the same with the one I've bought recently.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rod bettencourt said:

Good looking jet and build. Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Thanks, Rod much appreciated 

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a great looking Scorpion there. I'm not sure why I missed this first time around, maybe 'cause I'm a late comer to the attractions of these huge old jets, I really like what you've done with yours, I hope I can do the same with the one I've bought recently.

Steve.

Thank you, Sir aha I have to say these old jet do look beautiful imho, I want to build the Voodoo as well, but I have to keep a cap on model purchases for this year. Maybe next year I could try to build a one. Looking forward to your build soon. 

Cheers

• Like 1