Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster

Here's a few pictures of a Tamiya Lancaster I finished today.  More pictures and the build log are on my web site if you are interested.  The kit dates from the 70's and the particular one I built probably was an early pressing, I've had it in the stash for a long time.  I added Belcher Bits nacelles and wheels, and the Eduard PE set which were both great additions to the kit.  It does not build like a modern Tamiya kit, and it stretched my skills to get to the point where it is now.  Just the size of it makes some things a struggle, although it was possible to delay installing the wings until the very last.  The black plastic has become an unfavorite for me, it can really cause eyestrain.  I feel good that I have it built, it has been intimidating me for a long time!

http://www.yolo.net/~jeaton/mymodels/lanc/1lanc/1lanc.html

0501lanc.jpg

0531lanc.jpg

0541lanc.jpg

0571lanc.jpg

0581lanc.jpg

0591lanc.jpg

0461lanc.jpg

0471lanc.jpg

• Like 41

Hello,Jeaton - Welcome to the Forum.I understand your 'trepidation' when in comes to starting certain kits.However,you've overcome all your fears and have produced one of the most beautiful 'Lancaster' builds that I've seen.

In my opinion,this is a real showpiece.I love the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work and commend the restrained weathering.Great work.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

Hi and welcome to the forum,  I do like what you have done with your "Lanc" great paint and as Paul says above the weathering is not to over done.

I have always fancied a one of these but might wait for the HK one  unless a new 1/48th one is released......

Guy

Thanks, everyone, you are all very kind.  It's nice to be treated so well.  I have finished the pages on my web site which has many photos of the build process. You can seen all the Eduard PE stuff that otherwise will never be seen again by man nor beast, and maybe the things I did the hard way will be easier for another later on.  As in  do not put any of the engine intake screens on until the model is absolutely done otherwise.  Very fragile attach points on those.  Another modeler was kind enough to give me four extra and I used all but one of those!

Here is the link to the Lancsater build log:

http://www.yolo.net/~jeaton/mymodels/lanc/1lanc/1lanc.html

Paul, the bomb bay is quite empty and very black.  Tamiya molded giant pegs for the fitting of 250 pound bombs in a four across arrangement throughout except for a 4000 pound Cookie mid bay, and as I understand it that would be a very untypical load.  All of the pegs were removed leaving a gridwork structure.  There should be some bomb adapters in there but so far there are not.  I plan make up a bomb train eventually as I think that would be a more effective way to show the impressive ordnance the Lancaster could carry, with a mix of the 250 pounders, 500 pounders, incendiaries, and the Cookie.  I need to make the incendiaries, I think, but perhaps I can find some British 500 pounders.

Again, thank you, everyone.

Edited by jeaton01
  • Like 1

Just as a bit of shameless self-promotion, Belcher Bits does make the incendiaries (BB17) and cookies (BB9). British-style bombs are a bit more difficult to source, but several companies do make them. Most are expensive because they include photoetch for that ring tail.

Mike Belcher

• Like 1