Supermarine Spitfire MkI, 610 Squadron RAF

Beard

Hello Beard,

You don't fear the carpet monster :o Waow ! Record studio ?? Interesting !

Nice job on your kits, your desk look like mine, a kind of MASDC for WWII aircrafts.

Hat up for brush painting, I use it a few, only to rectify or weathering !

Congratulations anyway, can't wait to see the Hellcat;)

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

9 hours ago, CedB said:

"In training"? Love it... I won't tell anyone about the Harrier. It's one of my 'maybe one day' specials and an iconic aircraft; has to be done :) 

The Airfix GR1 is a nice kit, if you like that sort of thing.

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Beard,

You don't fear the carpet monster :o Waow ! Record studio ?? Interesting !

Nice job on your kits, your desk look like mine, a kind of MASDC for WWII aircrafts.

Hat up for brush painting, I use it a few, only to rectify or weathering !

Congratulations anyway, can't wait to see the Hellcat;)

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks.

I have no fear of the carpet monster, none whatsoever.

I used to use an airbrush, on 1/35 scale AFVs, but I can't be bothered with all the faffing about cleaning it. Some people on here achieve outstanding finishes using brushes, I'm happy with a good finish.

8 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Simon, give the back of the canopy a good sanding else it'll be a really tight fit.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Spitfire, in which case, thanks for the reminder; as I forgot about the location bits on the wing, I'll have forgotten about the fit of the canopy.

Edited by Beard
to change punctuation.
  • Like 4

Simon,

this is damn impressive! Well done!

This Frog Proctor is exciting. Haven't seen one of those for many centuries.

One thing has attracted my attention, but again it could be the photo: the propeller of the Proctor looks like it is feathered.... Am I seeing things?

I hope you are charging these models some rent, because the place is rather packed!

Great show

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Impressive production line Simon B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew.

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

You're really getting through them Simon, they all look great! Some fine looking grey on that beaufighter...

you have made me feel lazy, u should really update my progress!

Rob

Thanks Rob, don't look too closely at the white stripes on the Beaufighter.

34 minutes ago, jean said:

Simon,

this is damn impressive! Well done!

This Frog Proctor is exciting. Haven't seen one of those for many centuries.

One thing has attracted my attention, but again it could be the photo: the propeller of the Proctor looks like it is feathered.... Am I seeing things?

I hope you are charging these models some rent, because the place is rather packed!

Great show

JR

Thanks Jean, the Proctor's prop is a scratch-built replacement... I used the front of a Hellcat drop-tank and cut-down blades from Seafire 47... that's why it looks 'feathered' (I would use the word 'odd').

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Beard said:

The Airfix GR1 is a nice kit, if you like that sort of thing.

Sort of. I've always (well, often) thought about building the Airfix Falklands Dogfight doubles - read about my fun purchase here!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

How is the brengun tiffy? Tempted to get one

Tricky. If you have experience of short-run kits (e.g. early AZ) you'll be well prepared. I do have experience of short-run kits but don't have the patience. There's a link Procopius' thread in one of the earlier posts on this thread but I'll quote his summing-up of the kit:

'[...] here are some build notes for the kit:

• The small aperture on the upper starboard side of the intake is the gun camera port -- it should be filled on the car-door machines.
  • The wheel well roofs will need sanding down for the wings to fit over them.
  • The cockpit interior framing will need the outer sides sanded down to fit properly in the fuselage -- test fit a few times.
  • The cardoor canopy and whoever approved it both fall under the category of "God's mistakes". The rear decking and the canopy will need judicious sanding. Don't do what I did! Be sure to cover the canopy interior with a few pieces of Tamiya tape to protect from scratches and scuffs during this lengthy and dull process.
  • The spinner baseplane's male attachment point (heh-heh-heh) is far too wide for the female port in the nose of the fuselage. Better to just sand it off and affix by eye with superglue.
  • Put the upper wings on before putting the wings on the fuselage, reduces the risk of misaligning the gun barrels.

Other than that, this is actually a fairly docile kit, as limited run jobbies go. It's just the canopy that lets it down so.'

+1

You guys have such patience with your thin coats... building up nicely though and can't wait to see the blue 'cat.

• Like 1

Great work here.  The Spitfire really shows off it's diminutive nature against the Tempest and the Hellcat.  My BPF Seafire III is displayed between a Hellcat and a Corsair and looks like 1/72 rather than 1/48.

I would go sparingly on the Sea Blue on that Hellcat.  The 1844 NAS Hellcats on HMS Indomitable would have been pretty knackered by the time she went back to Sydney in June '45 and the 6 that cross decked to HMS Formidable for night fighter duties would probably have only had enough of a repaint to change the 'W' tail code to 'X'.

Good luck..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

Really looking forward to how that hellcat come out. Nice transfers on the spot, they look like they have settled down a treat

rob

Thanks Rob. Warm water and liberal applications of Mr Thingy decal solution seems to have worked,  so far.

3 hours ago, CedB said:

+1

You guys have such patience with your thin coats... building up nicely though and can't wait to see the blue 'cat.

Thanks Ced. I'll have to deal with the bit behind the cockpit before I do anymore coats of paint.

3 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Great work here.  The Spitfire really shows off it's diminutive nature against the Tempest and the Hellcat.  My BPF Seafire III is displayed between a Hellcat and a Corsair and looks like 1/72 rather than 1/48.

I would go sparingly on the Sea Blue on that Hellcat.  The 1844 NAS Hellcats on HMS Indomitable would have been pretty knackered by the time she went back to Sydney in June '45 and the 6 that cross decked to HMS Formidable for night fighter duties would probably have only had enough of a repaint to change the 'W' tail code to 'X'.

Good luck..

Thanks Grey. So, unless I paint it as new-delivered, it'll be heavily weathered/ faded? I'll have to look for some reference photographs.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 2

"S/Lt Atkinson achieved a rare distinction on the night of July 25. Four Hellcats were scrambled on a night combat air patrol. These were conventional Hellcat II's [F6F-5s] without radar, but their pilots had been trained in night flying. Shortly after assuming patrol, incoming Japanese aircraft were detected. Two Hellcats were forced to return to the carrier unserviceable. Slt Atkinson flying X/119 (1844 det'd flight in Formidable 7/45 to 8/45") assumed the lead of the remaining two Hellcats and was vectored out on an intercepting course. 
Under a full moon, Atkinson identified the bandits as big, single engine "Grace" torpedo planes and took his New Zealand wingman, Sub-Lieutenant R.F. Mackie, into the attack. Atkinson latched on a pair of Graces and shot them both into the water while Mackie dumped the third. Then, in routing the other bandits, a fourth Grace was damaged and the enemy attack was completely broken up. Atkinson was credited with shooting down three Grace Torpedo bombers, with Mackie claiming the fourth. Atkinson thereby established himself as the second Canadian "Naval Ace" of the Pacific war."

I have not not found a picture of X119 / JX772 but according to an account by Atkinson it was very battered and tatty.

And for good measure here is my interpretation of JX772..  

(I can edit this out if you want me too).

March%202016%20146_zpsujmqepba.jpg

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 5

Some progress with the transfers but there won't be any more for a few days as there's carpet due to be laid so I've had to pack everything away.

Port side.

20170328_195943

Starboard side

20170328_195949

As there's been some talk on here about electric decal-water heaters, here's what I use...

20170328_200008

Here's what I have to brave to get more water...

20170328_200013

Please send help, I'm nearly out of water.

• Like 6

Be careful what you wish for! Look at what's happening in Queensland....

Why don't you climb up with a thermos flask of hot/warm/lukewarm/whatever takes your fancy water, and you'll be good!

Question: is there a window in your eagle's nest to chuck the used/cold water out?

Fit a pole, like in the fire brigade stations. Plus, it's fun!!!!

Nice place by the way, and gorgeous Spitfire!

JR

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jean said:

Be careful what you wish for! Look at what's happening in Queensland....

Good point. I have experienced both a hurricane and an earthquake though.

12 hours ago, jean said:

Why don't you climb up with a thermos flask of hot/warm/lukewarm/whatever takes your fancy water, and you'll be good!

If I could find my thermos flask, I would, but it's not the climbing up that's the problem... it's the climbing down, after breathing in glue and paint fumes.

12 hours ago, jean said:

Question: is there a window in your eagle's nest to chuck the used/cold water out?

There is but I prefer to drink it... 😀

12 hours ago, jean said:

Fit a pole, like in the fire brigade stations. Plus, it's fun!!!!

I'll mention that to my wife, I'm sure she'll more more than happy with that. Can I refer her to you, if she has any objections? 😃

12 hours ago, jean said:

Nice place by the way, and gorgeous Spitfire!

Thank you. The attic will be even nicer when the carpet is fitted and I have my keyboards back from storage. Getting them into the attic will be something of a challenge though

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 4

Nice Spitfire :) 

Good luck getting the keyboards up the ladder. What will the carpet fitters say do you think? "Oh, what fun!" Or similar I dare say. 

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice Spitfire :) 

Good luck getting the keyboards up the ladder. What will the carpet fitters say do you think? "Oh, what fun!" Or similar I dare say. 

Thanks Ced, I'm quite happy with how it's progressing.

I'm not looking forward to getting a Roland RS-202 up that ladder. Worse still, I have a PA that needs to live somewhere and that somewhere is, probably, the attic (my wife has rejected my idea of starting a sound system and me making my living by playing dub at extremely loud volumes). I look forward to manhandling two speakers that I can barely lift through a loft-hatch; perhaps I could sell them on here (gawd only knows what the postage would be though). Lastly, a friend has offered me an electric piano (an offer I can't refuse); I'm going to investigate how much one of those helicopter cranes are to hire...

Originally, I suggested vinyl and he gave me a pained look, the kind of look that suggested he had no intention of giving himself a hernia but said that it could be done. 

• Like 1

Hello Beard,

Good luck with the keyboard and the speakers.

From the attic, all the neighbours will appreciate your music.

My son was in a metal band, I really enjoyed but the vicinity was not pleased at all:lol:

Come on with the big blue cat, both are pristine, congrats :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1