Supermarine Spitfire MkI, 610 Squadron RAF

Beard

Thanks Simon, I had somehow deleted that build from my memory but I've just had a quick refresh - scary!

Good luck with the kit and I understand if you want to curse and rage with it in private!! :) 

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon, I had somehow deleted that build from my memory but I've just had a quick refresh - scary!

Good luck with the kit and I understand if you want to curse and rage with it in private!! :) 

It stuck in my memory, possibly because I'd sent PC a spare canopy. What I had forgotten was that I'd promised to send him the other Brengun Typhoon in my stash... something I'll put right soon.

29 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Ahh, the assembly line is at full speed. The prop looks good on the XIV, and the Mk I's green has gone on exceptionally smooth.

Thanks Cookie, although I wish you'd said that about the XIV's prop earlier, before I touched up (no sniggering at the back there) the yellow bits. The green was very well thinned on the MkI, mainly because it's running out.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Procopius said:

I highly recommend a vacform canopy for it (which Brengun also make, cheeky devils), but otherwise I like it a lot.

Thanks. I'll try to hunt one down.

Not much progress with the Spitfire, it's had a coat of Humbrol 29. It might need another but it certainly needs another coat of the Colourcoats WW Dark Green and a rub-down with some Micromesh.

20170321_194458

Meanwhile, the Tempest only needs weathering and a final coat of matt varnish.

20170321_194423

I'd forgotten what a beast the Tempest is...

2017-03-20_08-36-55

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice work Simon. That Tempest looks to be the beast of a 'plane that she is... nice one Sir :) 

Thanks Ced. The Tempest certainly has more meat on it's bones, which I find quite attractive, and I knew a bloke who used to sell Lapwing eggs to the pilots of 150 Wing, who were based at RAF Newchurch so, have a tenuous link to it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

And that's next to a XIV perhaps the most beastly of the Spitfires.

If a Spitfire could be 'beastly', I'd suggest the Seafire 47 as a contender.

Day off today so I've given the Spitfire a third coat of Dark Green, it now needs a second coat of Dark Earth.

20170322_103103

Making a first appearance in this thread is my Eduard Hellcat...

20170322_103031

The kit lives up to the Grumman reputation for being tough, I dropped it this morning and it suffered no ill-effects.

It'll be painted in Gloss Sea Blue (I'm waiting for Parcelforce to deliver my Colourcoats order) to represent either a 1844 or 800 squadron FAA plane.

• Like 6

I really want to do a gloss sea blue hellcat, that will be a treat Simon I can't wait. 

The tempest is a bit of of a brute isn't it?  Very nice looking brute mind, very much a hawker design characteristic... she is looking very good!

the paint work on your spitfire looks really smooth, great brush skills simon:

Rob

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

I really want to do a gloss sea blue hellcat, that will be a treat Simon I can't wait. 

The tempest is a bit of of a brute isn't it?  Very nice looking brute mind, very much a hawker design characteristic... she is looking very good!

the paint work on your spitfire looks really smooth, great brush skills simon:

Rob

I've got some spare FAA & USN decals from the Eduard ones, if you want them.

Hawker designs often have a chunkiness to them. Certainly everything between the Fury and the Sea Hawk. I guess with the Typhoon and Tempest, it's due to the engine.

Thank, I'm quite happy with the paintwork.

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

The paintwork looks great. Is the green and brown more distinct in real life?

Regards,

Adrian 

Thanks Adrian. The lack of distinctness between the brown and green might be down to the lighting and/ or the fact I use a cameraphone, and/ or that there was only one coat of Dark Earth (which had been applied over the Dark Green).

It's since had a second coat of brown and looks like this (the photograph was taken outside):

2017-03-22_01-31-17

I think that looks a lot better. (The white bits are PPP.)

• Like 7

The spit looks delightful mate, nice work! 

FAA you say.... hmmm I do happen to have an italieri hellcat that I was thinking of building for the radial engined GB, along with maybe one or two corsairs :) 

Rob

45 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very nice Simon - smooth as usual :) 

Thanks Ced. I'm particularly pleased with the finish.

34 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, the Spitfire camo is exceptionally smooth Simon.

You're right on the Spitfires of course, a brutish Spitfire is akin to a brutish ballet dancer; it can only seem so in relation to other dancers.

Thanks Cookie. Even with an enormous engine and propellor, the Spitfire has a certain 'grace' that other aircraft lack.

21 minutes ago, rob85 said:

The spit looks delightful mate, nice work! 

FAA you say.... hmmm I do happen to have an italieri hellcat that I was thinking of building for the radial engined GB, along with maybe one or two corsairs :) 

Rob

Have a look at the options in the Eduard Hellcat boxing and let me know which one you'd like. I can't help with the Corsairs though.

• Like 2

Brilliant brush painting on the Spitfire!

I expect this gaggle of fighters will be nicely sitting in your display cabinet comes the week-end?

Great energy, beautifully channeled!

JR

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jean said:

Brilliant brush painting on the Spitfire!

I expect this gaggle of fighters will be nicely sitting in your display cabinet comes the week-end?

Great energy, beautifully channeled!

JR

Thank you Jean.

I haven't got a display cabinet yet, because I've only just moved into my new man-cave, once it has carpet down I'll be looking for one.

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Thank you Jean.

I haven't got a display cabinet yet, because I've only just moved into my new man-cave, once it has carpet down I'll be looking for one.

Fool!!!!

Once the carpet is installed, the monster follows.....

Bare cement floor, a crucifix and garlic cloves at the four corners of your man cave should allow you to recover with a modicum of safety these tiny weeny PE parts that ping happily into nothingness.

Simon, you have been warned!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, jean said:

Fool!!!!

Once the carpet is installed, the monster follows.....

Bare cement floor, a crucifix and garlic cloves at the four corners of your man cave should allow you to recover with a modicum of safety these tiny weeny PE parts that ping happily into nothingness.

Simon, you have been warned!

Have fun!

JR

Thanks for the warning Jean.

The man-cave is also a recording studio, so needs a carpet, and I have a plan for the modelling area. Anyway, I don't use PE... 😀

• Like 1

The Spitfire got two coats of clear today but as that's not too exciting, here are some of the other things I'm working on...

The Frog Percival Proctor has had a coat of Colourcoats WW2 Dark Green

20170323_201714

The Airfix Beaufighter has been painted and I'm now making a mess of the black & white stripes...

20170323_201623

My delivery from Sovereign Hobbies arrived today. It contained this:

20170323_201243

The Hellcat's date with paint looms.

Here's a photograph of my current workspace:

20170323_201627

The keen-eyed viewer will spot the stalled Spitfire XI and the Brengun Typhoon (the less said about that the better).

I hope to start the Spitfire's transfers at the weekend but I might be spending valuable modelling time choosing paint colours for the house. Sadly, my suggestions for colours (Sky, Eau-de-nil) have been rejected but I'm still working on a colour called 'Velvet Underground' (if you don't believe me, check Albany paints).

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 7

Crikey, where did that Beaufighter come from? That and the others, especially the Proctor, are looking very nice Simon. Goodness knows how you cope with three four lots of models on the go at the same time!

Good luck with the paint choices!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

Crikey, where did that Beaufighter come from? That and the others, especially the Proctor, are looking very nice Simon. Goodness knows how you cope with three four lots of models on the go at the same time!

Good luck with the paint choices!

Thanks Ced. I have six kits on the go at the moment because I'm in training for my D-Day build and I might start a seventh at the weekend (I fancy either a Blenheim or, please don't tell anyone, a Harrier).

• Like 4

"In training"? Love it... I won't tell anyone about the Harrier. It's one of my 'maybe one day' specials and an iconic aircraft; has to be done :) 

• Like 1