P-40B Resin Prop & Exhaust Upgrades (for Airfix)

P-40B Resin Prop & Exhaust Upgrades (for Airfix)

1:48 Ultracast

boxtop.jpg

Ultracast have a reputation for exceptional quality parts, and a penchant for WWII aircraft, so when the new Airfix P-40B was released, some new stuff was to be expected.  Well, here it is!  Their products are high quality resin, finely cast and with sensible casting blocks.  The sets arrive in a ziplok bag with a predominantly white header card that extends down the back to provide a little extra support for the parts.  There are three sets in this batch, two types of props, and a set of highly detailed exhaust stacks, as follows:

sprue1.jpg

P-40B/C Tubular Exhausts (48266)

Two sets of exhaust stacks with high detail and delicate hollow tips, and prominent welding lines as per the real things.  The casting block is simplicity itself to remove, and you are left with a pair of tabs on the rear of the parts that fit into the fuselage sides, in the same manner as the original kit parts.

bin.jpg

P-40B Hollow Steel Prop & Spinner Curtiss 11' Blade 614-1C1.5-12 (48267)

The hollow props that were fitted to the early P-40s were made of steel for strength, and had sharp "needle" tips.  This set includes a 2-part spinner with a back-plate onto which three blades attach via a flat section at the root of the blade.  There is a little wiggle-room here when fitting, so ensure you have them correctly aligned on the base before the glue cures.  With the three blades in place, the spinner cap is installed, and you can admire the superb raised detail around the spinner.

bin.jpg

P-40B Aluiminium Prop & Spinner Curtiss 11' Blade 89201-3 (48267)

Lighter aluminium blades were also fitted later to the P-40, with a slightly broader tip to the blades, and some minor differences to the spinner's back-plate in the shape of the blade exit points, and were usually seen on the AVG airframes.  Construction is identical to the hollow steel set above, and the same cautionary note applies.

bin.jpg

Conclusion

Great sets, and when I get around to re-starting my stalled build (I seem to have a growing number), I'll be sure to use them.  As usual with resin, take the precaution of wearing a mask when cutting or sanding resin, as the tiny particles are harmful to your health if breathed in.  Washing the parts in warm water will also improve the adhesion of paint, as there may still be some moulding release agent on the parts when you receive them.

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.jpg

• Like 3