1/144 Welsh Models vacform McDonnell-Douglas MD-11

Greetings all, 

This is the Welsh Models 1/144 MD-11 vacform with Delta Airlines late 1990's livery laser decals by 26decals.  Build thread here

Relatively straightforward, though the build up of the wing mounted engines from bits of vacform and resin was tedious and slow work.  Because the decals are laser printed on clear film, the Delta writing on the centre engine is clear and results in a very large blue decal to wrap around the centre engine.  My first attempt didn't go well, so a huge thanks to Ray at 26decals for supplying a replacement set.  

Paints were my usual Zero Paints white primer, Zero brilliant white top coat and various Alclad shades.  Clear coating with Alclad Aqua Gloss with a wide flat brush. 

Despite not turning out quite as good as I hoped, it certainly looks the part alongside my Delta TriStar.  I just need a decent DC-10 kit - Authentic Airliners have been out of stock for months now...

On with the photos. 

Regards,

Darren

32553178914_0a4374df02_o.jpg

33355632456_f0a587b73e_o.jpg

33268287101_a729feec6e_o.jpg

33268274181_9b63760654_o.jpg

32553101674_b86f3f0299_o.jpg

32582066423_a0c895ccc0_o.jpg

• Like 31

I've never been thrilled by that particular livery (and it seems Delta wasn't either judging by the haste they dropped it), but I am thrilled by your workmanship on that model and the finished result despite the way it fought you :)

• Like 1

Thank you all, very kind!  Jessica, not my favourite Delta livery either, and I so nearly switched to the earlier Widget livery, but stuck with it.  However, having finished it, I've just ordered the Eastern Express MD-11 from Ray at 26decals with the Widget livery - go figure! 

Darren

That looks lovely, with no hint of the troubles you suffered.Excellent job!

Cheers

John

(..and I quite like that Delta livery, at least it has a cheatline),

• Like 1

Thank you all very kind and glad to see it's generated some interest.  

John, thanks, very good point about the cheatline! I meant to add 'livery with a cheatline' as a tag! Whilst this livery isn't a patch on the classic widget livery, it's still way better than the current one - and I have half a dozen decal sheets of the new livery... :doh:   I even planned a Delta DC9-50, but have since decided that just seems plane wrong in the current livery, but alas they never wore anything else with Delta, being ex of Northwest. So I now plan to build a DC9-30 - fortunately a Fly DC-9 kit comes with two fuselages DC9-30 and -40 or -50.  

Darren

I agree John. I've always wanted to do a 757 in that scheme.

Darren you've done an excellent job on this model, I'm very impressed with your smooth finish and razor sharp masking! I keep meaning to have a go with some of those Zero paints.

I used to have a Welsh MD11 but sold it on a while back, I couldn't be bothered as I guessed sooner or later there'd be an injection moulded one. It'll be interesting to hear how the Welsh and EE compare, are you getting started straight away or having a break from Delta Trijets for a while?!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

That's a magnificent job done on this model! Can't imagine myself applying a wraparound decal onto an engine... Huge work, Sir!

And a pity there is no longer Douglas or Lockheed big beasts... Having just Airbus and Boeing makes airports terminals so boring. Luckily finally 787, 380 and 350 started to show off. 5 years back it were only 747/767/777/330/340 in big class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

I agree John. I've always wanted to do a 757 in that scheme.

Darren you've done an excellent job on this model, I'm very impressed with your smooth finish and razor sharp masking! I keep meaning to have a go with some of those Zero paints.

I used to have a Welsh MD11 but sold it on a while back, I couldn't be bothered as I guessed sooner or later there'd be an injection moulded one. It'll be interesting to hear how the Welsh and EE compare, are you getting started straight away or having a break from Delta Trijets for a while?!

Cheers,

Ian

I must confess, I'm rather liking the Tamiya acrylics thinned with Mr Color levelling thinner so that is my current new thing.  All the shades of grey are done with this.  Whichever paint I use I still get a fair amount of orange peel texture, it's just then a matter of polishing with Micromesh and a final brush coat with Alclad Aqua gloss.  I'll always claim makes for toil over skill any day! 

I need to clear the bench of other things first, which is a part built DC-6, where I'm having to strip the paint - a lesson in never skip a primer coat... And then an F-Rsin CV-880, then possibly some 1/72 Russian military stuff before the next Delta wide-body. I'll definitely post an inbox review of the EE MD-11 when it arrives.  

Darren

PS I have decals for this Delta livery for the 737-800.  Not many options out there for Delta 757s.  The new EE Delta 757-300 is quite expensive here, almost £50.  

1 hour ago, Dennis_C said:

That's a magnificent job done on this model! Can't imagine myself applying a wraparound decal onto an engine... Huge work, Sir!

And a pity there is no longer Douglas or Lockheed big beasts... Having just Airbus and Boeing makes airports terminals so boring. Luckily finally 787, 380 and 350 started to show off. 5 years back it were only 747/767/777/330/340 in big class.

Indeed I rather miss the variety of old, and I'm only thinking of the 80s and 90s! I used to visit Heathrow to take photos, but haven't done that for years as every other flight is an A319/320/321, really quite dull, sigh..

Darren

:gobsmacked::mike: wow I can only say.

You certainly nailed it big time. The paintjob looks also fantastic and I can't see any of the difficulties you had while building it on the finished product.

You certainly done justice to the elegant lady the MD-11 is...

I miss those good old times too and also the sight and sound of the MD-11...Here in Switzerland the appearance of an MD-11 equals almost to a miracle...just endless lines of Airbusses...sigh

• Like 1

On 3/12/2017 at 2:13 PM, Darren Rhodes said:

Despite not turning out quite as good as I hoped......

I'm thinking that you're being a bit too hard on yourself there Darren - I'd be proud to pull a stunner like that out of a vacform kit !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I've succumbed to one of Ray's MD-11 kits and it keeps staring at me, crying out to be built.

mike

• Like 1

Thank you Alex and Mike, very kind. :)  It's all too easy to focus on certain issues as I build a model and they can be become blown out of proportion, but it's how I drive myself to make the next one better.  Hopefully, the Eastern Express widget scheme will be better than this. Glad yours is staring at you, mine is still to arrive...

Darren

PS Had the pleasure of a Swiss Embraer 190 flight to Zurich last week - Nice change from routine A320 flights! 

3 minutes ago, Soloturk said:

Well you did a much better job than I could do, looks fantastic!!

I hope to get the new MD-11 someday, will you be doing one, either Civil or Cargo?

Thank you. :) Yes I have already ordered an EE MD-11, along with decals for the earlier Delta widget livery.  

Darren