When paint doesn't adhere properly

One ends up with something resembling this...  

33012979730_0aa8607187_o.jpg

Ugh, my own silly fault.  There is actually a gloss white top coat underneath the grey primer that was applied without a primer to avoid filling in the fine panel lines.  The primer sprayed over the white in an attempt to fix some minor paint pulls, but it got me worried so I tested the adhesion with some sellotape. Not very good.  

Shelf of doom for now, but I think it might be for the bin, never had much look stripping paint without damaging plastic.  

Regards,

Darren

I hate painting!

If this was enamel paint I'd say a long soak in Mr Muscle oven cleaner and a scrub with a bristle brush. I managed to clean off years worth of enamel paint and even old domestic gloss paint from models.

Not sure how you strip acrylic paint or if Mr muscle has any affect on it.

Don't bin it though! someone will have an answer.

Karl

I wouldn't give up either.

if I were you I'd give it a good dose of Fairy Power Spray and leave it in a plastic bag overnight.

I'd then give it a good scrubbing with an old toothbrush.

Repeat if necessary.

Good luck.

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you guys, nice to know your threshold of perseverance are all higher than mine!  I have tried Fairy Power Spray before and also brake fluid, but that gets really messy.  And the base white paint in this case was, nominally, the worst, cellulose...  I'll report back if I have any success. 

Darren

Well, please excuse the paper towel, it's still a little damp after it's rinse. :D But after 24h in the Fairy Power Spray bag I have this:

33042350450_f03ce34423_o.jpg

Really quite impressed, thank you guys for the suggestion. :) It's had a second application of The Spray and gone back in the bag. :waiting:

Darren

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

I would say you're 90% of the way toward recovery - I feel much better about moving it to Work In Progress now ^_^

I thought I'd posted itself elsewhere! You're going to send me into obligation now and make the rest of the build a full WIP at this rate!  Damn you, but thanks for saving the kit! :) 

Darren

• 3 weeks later...

Right, further application of Fairy Power Spray and I'm calling this paint stripped:

33798714025_14dec35f38_o.jpg

Starting over, I've turned to Halfords Plastic Primer.  This has never failed me, my gripe with it is that I tend to get quite rough finishes (dried overspray?), but thinning the paint first (after decanting in a glass bottle) has helped, but it still needed plenty of Micromesh polishing:

33798719225_4d972943c4_o.jpg

A few of the seams need attention, the Power Spray has also stripped the Mr Surfacer and in some areas even attacked the super glue+talc filler used. But I can see incremental progress! 

Regards,

Darren

• Like 1