1/48 A-1J - my first RFI

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

After many (30-mumble) years, I've got back into this hobby, so please be gentle. After a couple of semi-sacrificial builds, getting my eye in and trying new techniques, this is the first I'm calling finished.

Tamiya 1/48 A-1J of 56th SOW. Tamiya acrylics through airbrush, with Humbrol enamels on the pilot and wheel wells etc.

I know there are things wrong with this beast (silvered decals for example, and I haven't plucked up the nerve to do the canopy frames yet), but I'm really happy with how it's turned out.

A1J_01_001

A1J_01_004A1J_01_003

This guy looks happy enough (I suspect the double-chin is a helmet trap I forgot to paint - whoops!)

A1J_01_005

• Like 14

Welcome to BM, not looking too bad at all! You picked a great kit as a starter. As for any problems that's how you learn and improve. Maybe right about your pilots double chin though!?! 

Nigel, don't worry !!!  It is relatively easy to paint the canopy frames if you work very tidy.

First you mask (with Tamyia masking tape for instance) all the horizontal glasses and paint the frames,

first the inner colour, interior green for instance, and then the exterior colour. When it is done you unmask everything

and do the same with the vertical glazings.

At the end you have a perfectly painted canopy.

If it is not perfect, you ever have the possibility to correct the framing with a tooth picker.

This correction would go much better if you first have dipped your transparencies in some Future,

(or Klir or Clear or many other name according the land you live in.)

I have learnt this technique many years ago, and I always do so.

Of course when I was younger I was able to paint those frames free handed, just with a thin paint brush,

but at 66 years old you can forget it.

I hope sincerely this will help.

Cheers. Polo.

• Like 1

Re your silvering decals.......make sure you place them over a nice gloss finish, that helps loads. There are also various softening and setting agents. They also make life easier. Re both the products may I suggest tryinga few different makes. You'll normaly settle on one that works best for you. Hope this helps

Looks great. Don't worry about the little things, with each new build try some new techniques and as long as your happy that's all that matters. I've been modelling for about 25 years and I am trying new stuff and making some great mistakes. Building tamiyas A1H at the moment, completely cocked up the white paint!! How hum!!!!

• Like 1

Hello Nigel,

Nice shot on your Spad, welcome back in modelling.

Polo has just said it rightly.

Now there is also pre cut masks, that things are helpfull too.

Months ago, I was thinking it as a gadget, but once you tried it, you get hanged.

Congratulations, keep carry on.

What will be the next one ??

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Great start Nigel,most folk have mentioned glossing for decaling which should cure the silvering I always leave the canopy till last

and hand paint the framing like you I use acrylic's and the over paint can be removed with a cocktail stick hope you get round to

posting more in the future.

Thanks all for your encouragement.

I fell into a bit of a mental spiral with respect to the decals. On one of my trying-things-out kits I found that using Decalfix made a mess of acrylic paint, so next time I applied gloss varnish first. Unfortunately the gloss went a horrible yellow shade. In the end, I took a chance with the Spad and it ddn't quite work out. Never mind - still better than the 1/72 scale Airfix A-1 I built in about 1983. :happy: At least the decals are in the right place this time, and there aren't gluey finger prints in the paint!

On 12/03/2017 at 9:53 PM, corsaircorp said:

What will be the next one ??

Next one in progress is an Airfix Gnat - also 1/48 as the eyes (and stubby fingers!) aren't up to anything smaller. I might break my WIP duck with that - really pleased with the cockpit.

After that, an OV-1A/JOV-01A that landed this afternoon. I'm going to do some more paint experiments, too - though that's just an excuse to use my shiny airbrush :laugh:

Edited by NigelC
Edit: "paint" experiments, not pain. I suspect that would be a different subject altogether.
  • Like 1

Nigel C,

Very nice job on that wonderful Tamiya kit 😊

I think you have the right idea by starting off with a Tamiya kit👍

Your work definitely shows great promise.

Looking forward to the next posting🤗

Cheers,

Mr. Happy (In name only😐)

Hi Nigel - that's a great looking model for a first one back after 30.... years

As others have suggested - there are plenty of tricks to improve the old skill levels - so please do use us - we are only to glad to help. 

Have a go at painting the canopy - because if you can do that - then you are on an upward curve, and its a great confidence booster. Based on what I can see it should be a challenging, BUT achievable task - and that's the trick - improve via small steps that you can tackle, and build on that with self-assurance.

Cheers , and welcome aboard too

Jonners

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again, guys. I have had a go at the canopy, by hand. I've tried scraping the excess off with a piece of sprue, but it won't shift. maybe the sprue is too soft?

It's really lifted it, but for future beasts I'll mask and paint first (done the Gnat and it's come up a treat :smile: - not sure whether I'll do a WIP for that and the Mohawk, or just RFIs and some in-build pics when they are done).

At some point, I'll spray this with some matt lacquer, but otherwise this is done.

A1J_01_006

• Like 1