Are there any photos of the Bf 109 H?

Vonbraun

One of my modelling Holy Grails this. I have a kit on standby ready to convert. A few years ago, some site suggested that photos had surfaced either via a collector or e-bay sale, but all went quiet again. Didn't a handful of machines make it to the Paris area for tests? Or something?

Never seen any.  There is still some doubt as the precise configuration of the H, as flown on recce missions,  There appears to be three known airframes in the programme. Ttwo based on G-5 airframes: one with the high altitude DB628 engine (later cancelled) and one with the extended wing.  A third used parts of the cancelled Me209V6 (or HV1), leaving some uncertainty as to whether this (last?) airframe used 109 or 209 outer wings.  Nowadays it is usually featured with 209 outer wings, but outwardly-retracting undercarriage.  Messerschmitt was nothing if not flexible on such details.

This last airframe is usually shown with a DB605A engine and "Beules".  It seems much more likely to me that this high altitude airframe would have had the high altitude engine: a DB605D (or AS) with a refined cowl.

For modelling the third example, I used the Revell Bf109G10 with wing and tail parts from the MPM Bf109H.  The first would need the small annular radiator from the Huma Me209 or perhaps a Revell Ar240, on a G-5 airframe.  The second would need the inner wing from a Bf109H kit with other parts from a G-5 airframe - I'd assume that some work would be needed on the tail but have no idea what was done, if anything.

At least one, perhaps both of the earlier examples (V-55 and V-59?) was destroyed in a US air raid.  Despite various vague comments, I've not seen any definite evidence presented for more than three examples before the programme was cancelled and one example handed over to anyone who could find use for it.  A description of its operations is available on the net.   It appears to have been unsatisfactory in the recce role, and from the description would have been even more so in the fighter.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2