Adrian:

My apologies, I didn't see your post (I guess I was looking at the great photos and only skimmed the text).

If you still have a glue question give me a shout.  As it turns out I don't actually make models for a living. 

I work in Tech Service for the third largest adhesive manufacturer in the world and have a three decades plus in adhesives.

So, if I am not to late, how can I help you?

Greg in OK

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Well, I thought that a contact adhesive might be the solution. In my travels to the USA I bought some "Quick Hold" contact adhesive.

Got home, tried it out. Did it work??

Nah...

IMG_5242.jpg

It wasn't stuck down in areas so it flapped about, and where it was stuck down it was lumpy and uneven. The glue works cos it was a pig to remove!

It's not the glue's fault. It's my technique. So I need a new fuselage side and a new approach! I am going to work on some other kits until my mojo for this one is restored. I see superglue and 5 minute epoxy in my future...

Regards,

Adrian :(

• Like 1

' Never give up hope, must you'

Yoda 1984

Too much good work gone in so far to quit,  but I reckon 5 min epoxy is the way to go if you cant get the right finish with the Milliput.

Colin

• Like 2

Oh dear! 😕

Sorry to to see that setback, but that's all it is just a setback, not the end of it. 

Go get your mojo - a great outcome awaits this project. 

Reconcilor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with others on the five minute epoxy Adrian. 

My caveat would be that I've tried cheap brands and they were unreliable. The Araldite brand always works.

I think maybe Greg in OK could advise if there's a better solution?

Hope the mojo has returned, it's a lovely aircraft :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Well I was clearing up after my Mosquito build and I thought I would try to do something here. So I cut and scribed a new starboard side and stuck it on with superglue. First I stuck the pretty much flat section at the front, then the curved rear section. I tidied up the edges with glue on a cocktail stick and it all worked! Here it is after doing the port side and cutting out the windows:

IMG_5433.jpg

That was a blocker, but now it's done. So, 12 days to go (travelling on 13th). Crikey!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 6

It really has worked Adrian :clap:!

That looks superb. I'm glad that you've got through this block. There was a way and you found it.

Yes, just two or so weeks. I must update my own thread tomorrow. It would be hippopotamus of me (is that the right word? :D) to whip the troops into a frenzy, when my own thread is quite bare :confused: .

One day, this will be a very nice complete scale model of a Fairey Long Range Monoplane. A rather unique scale model at that :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Well I've got the bit between my teeth. I noticed that the tailplane is massively thick like the wing, so I've carved a new one which is a better thickness:

IMG_5435.jpg

You can see that I've continued the fabric effects under the fuselage, this time using fishing line and filler because of the double curvature. I still need more filler.

Here it is in comparison to the previous one, which was only as thick as the fin and rudder:

IMG_5436.jpg

just carving and sanding that one part makes my study look like a snowstorm has hit it. Will close the door gently and Hoover tomorrow, seeing as it's 2am...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 9

Great to see you back in progress on this build. 

Nothing like working through a bigblock to help you power ahead. 

Colin 

• Like 1

That is real wood! Aka real modelling!! Super piece of carving there - really looks the part. I would have used the old talcum powder and dope method of sealing - gives a lovely hard smooth finish indistiguishable from plastic when painted.

P

• Like 4

We've still got 17 days. A final push and all will be well :frantic: !

Proper modelling here as always Adrian; great stuff. As I'm saying to as many troops as possible; onwards and upwards!

:hobbyhorse: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Just to let you know that I'm not going to finish inside the GB for this one. My work trip has been moved up to this coming Tuesday and extended a couple of days because I had to re-book the return. So there's absolutely no way that I can finish in the time and even if there was an extension I go on vacation two days after I get back from my fortnight away!

Thanks for organising the GB and for all the support, and sorry I couldn't make it. I will be resuming this build in WIP when I get back.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Hi Adrian

Really sorry to hear this won't be finished

Ssshhhh but just between you and me could you sneak it into the Made in Britain II Group Build when no one is looking, which is also on the go at the moment ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 1 year later...