Hello All,

I have been permitted to bring my long-running scratch-build of the Fairey Long Range Monoplane across from the WIP section, here. I have reached the point where I almost have a set of basic parts. This has been a long time in the making - I first acquired a pile of reference material in 1997 for a flying version (didn't happen), and I've been working/stalling on this project for over two years. Hopefully being part of a GB will keep my posterior in gear so I can finish it!

The Fairey Long Range Monoplane was built to capture the world distance record, powered by a single Napier Lion engine. Two were built - the first one crashed in an attempt, but the second one succeeded, setting a record of 5,309mi/8,544km from Cranwell, UK to Walvis Bay, South Africa in February 1933. The UK for two months held all three of the speed (Supermarine S6B), distance (Fairey) and altitude (Vickers Vespa) records.

So it's got to here:

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

I built the wing and tail surfaces out of balsa - the wing is OK as far as it goes, but needs cutting up to free the control sections and detailing to add the fabric wing effect.  The tail fin and rudder need separating and fabric effects, and the tailplanes need to be started again because they should be about three times thicker than the ones I have made!

The latest fuselage is made from a plastic card profile with card formers, filled in with scrap balsa and Milliput. The Milliput has been sanded away until you can just see the edges of the formers. This is my third attempt:

Fairey_Long_Range_Monoplane_progression.

The first two fuselages ended up being too small, so I have used one of them for experiments on simulating fabric covering, using fishing line and filler. Although I had some success with that I think scored plastic card  (as seen in the picture) will be neater and easier.

I'm back at home next week so I hope to be back at the bench then!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

It's wonderful to see this in the group build Adrian. Wonderful to see it full stop :)!

Its the sort of subject I could imagine possibly FROG having a go at long ago, one of the series with the Vimy and Southern Cross.

A very attractive aircraft. I like the scored plastic card for the fuselage ribbing; it looks to me like that might be the winning technique :thumbsup2: 

Looking forward to this :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This should be excellent Adrian :popcorn:

Thanks for the reference to the Vickers Vespa too.  I hadn't realised that it was a record breaker.

It's on the 'to do' list for my Chaco War collection.  At the time, the Bolivians particularly appreciated aircraft with good high altitude performance (La Paz being the world's highest capital city etc.), so it all makes sense.

I've yet to find a kit, although there is a very small scale 3D printed model available.

Cliff

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2017 at 07:34, CliffB said:

Thanks for the reference to the Vickers Vespa too.  I hadn't realised that it was a record breaker.

I was rather hoping it would be the Bristol 138, but that was a couple of years later. Shows what a futuristic item the S6B was at the time!

I have been distracted by the old Airfix Blenheim and work recently - I've managed to finish the Blenheim at least! So I can now get back to what I was subconsciously putting off - skinning the fuselage. 

I have got to here:

IMG_4029.jpg

Fuselage is at the top.

I had had made a test skin (second down) from 5 thou plastic card, just for the sides, which looked fine. I made a paper template of that (third down) to include going over the fuselage to the mid line.

I cut out two sides from 5 thou card to match the template. I scored the right hand side but forgot to get the stringers horizontal. This wasn't a total loss because it allowed me to check the fit of the scored piece and trim the other side accordingly (fourth down). 

I've now cut out a replacement side (bottom) and I will resume scoring tomorrow.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 7

Great stuff as always, Adrian! I would say I'm amazed at your work, but anybody who could turn the Airfix 'Il-2' into something that actually resembled the Shturmovik no longer amazes me. Best of luck on this one! It is a rather graceful aeroplane.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

It looks like you're very close with the fuselage skins Adrian. They look great as they are to me.

You're going to beat this into submission, I can tell :).

Brst regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

I forgot to mention- the cowling above has had a quick coat of Hu64 because I could feel bumps. The plastic is slightly more resistant to sanding than Milliput so I've very carefully sanded the bumps away (I hope).

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 2

Just found this agin too. I am very interested in your methods, especially the skinning as I have never attempted that before. I will be interested to see how that goes as I may have to attempt it myself one day. Great to see one of these lesser known types in the making - all the more interesting.

P

• Like 2

A bit more progress - I've had a frustratingly busy week at work and I'm just about to go away for two weeks, but I want to get the fuselage covered before I go.

I have scored my two selected half skins and am wondering how to attach them to the fuselage. Plastic cement - don't want them to dissolve. Superglue - no wiggle time and not sure I could do it in stages. So: PVA.

I have spare skins and spare fuselages so I'm trying it out with them first:

IMG_4036.jpg

Note the extra padding to make sure the middle of the curved area is pushed hard down to the surface. I will leave it a few hours to dry.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 8

Hi Adrian

Just had a chance to look through this build, simply superb.

I feel such a fraud whinging about my Vacform now, with you making this one from scratch !

keep up the good work.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Fantastic work. I love to see a scratch build - I feel like I'm being adventurous when I use a resin conversion kit, but I'm in awe of scratch builders.

This group build keeps sending me off to wikipedia to read about all the interesting things people are modelling. This aircraft flew 8,544km non-stop - I can't help thinking about what it must have been like to fly this thing for such a long distance. Its cruise speed was 177km/h - so it must have been airborne for over 48 hours. I doubt the in-flight entertainment was much good...

• Like 3

Hmmm... PVA is not the answer. I need something with more grab. I will be looking for something else when I get back at the start of May. Thixotropic contact adhesive or some such. Any suggestions that don't come in 1L tubs for over £30?

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I would use 5 min. epoxy adhesive like this one:

pACE3-956391enh-z8.jpg

It gives you some time to position correctly the parts and it sets quite hard, also it doesn't harm plastics in any way. Any excess can be wiped off with alcohol. Just a bit messy because you have to mix two components but I find it great for acetate canopies and other "problematic" joins.

Fabio

Edited by Whirly
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2017 at 23:57, AdrianMF said:

Hmmm... PVA is not the answer. I need something with more grab. I will be looking for something else when I get back at the start of May. Thixotropic contact adhesive or some such. Any suggestions that don't come in 1L tubs for over £30?

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

For what it's worth, I find myself using two-part arildite epoxy more and more. Very strong, grips plastic and wood ok and plenty of wriggle time. Also very cheap and readily available. Only drewback I can see is it tends to be a bit thick and 'gluggy' so if you want a thin skin of glue might not be so great. 

And it stinks the house out!😀

• Like 1