Hornet Mk.1 - Special Hobby 1/72

CedB

You know you'll be welcome PC - see you in 2019, if not before!

Thanks John - in a tight turn to also avoid 'T Tommy'!

It's a Tamiya Mossie next, in 1/72 of course. I'm glad to see you're still evangelising - don't give up, it will work one day!

(You tell him Egbert!)

• Like 3

Looks like a few pilots will be claiming that MIG...

47 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

[...] must have been real fast.

I think it was the fastest piston engined plane to see service with the RAF. Here's what Eric Brown had to say about the Sea Hornet:

The view from the cockpit, positioned right forward in the nose beneath a one-piece aft-sliding canopy was truly magnificent. The Sea Hornet was easy to taxi, with powerful brakes... the takeoff using 25 lb (2,053 mm Hg, 51" Hg) boost and flaps at one-third extension was remarkable! The 2,070 hp (1,540 kW) Merlin 130/131 engines fitted to the prototypes were to be derated to 18 lb (1,691 Hg, 37" Hg) boost and 2,030 hp (1,510 kW) as Merlin 133/134s in production Sea Hornets, but takeoff performance was to remain fantastic. Climb with 18 lb boost exceeded 4,000 ft/min (1,200 m/min).

In level flight the Sea Hornet's stability about all axes was just satisfactory, characteristic, of course, of a good day interceptor fighter. Its stalling characteristics were innocuous, with a fair amount of elevator buffeting and aileron twitching preceding the actual stall.

For aerobatics the Sea Hornet was absolute bliss. The excess of power was such that manoeuvres in the vertical plane can only be described as rocket-like. Even with one propeller feathered the Hornet could loop with the best single-engine fighter, and its aerodynamic cleanliness was such that I delighted in its demonstration by diving with both engines at full bore and feathering both propellers before pulling up into a loop!'

What a shame it arrived too late to see service in World War 2.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - great post. Winkle is one of my heroes, obviously. I have his documentary saved on the Sky box and watch it again and again. So humble, so admirable.

Thanks Benedikt - looking forward to the Mossie and still pondering which one to build. I think the NF is going to win.

Thanks Rob - my fault for hiding in the GB! Look out for the Mossie, coming soon!

Thanks Leon - and thanks again for the sprue soup moulding idea :) 

• Like 2

Good grief, didn't even get chance for a second bacon butty!!

Truly lovely model of a truly lovely aeroplane Ced! My resolve of leaving my kits buried in the stash is wavering...!!

Top job again!

Keith

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That's very nice Ced. These De-Haviland twin engines affairs do look nice in silver. I can see why you didn't do the wash.

I think the word to describe it is: 'resplendent' :).

Silver Mosquitoes look good too. A lot of RAAF ones were silver, so that might be something you'd like to try in the future. They would make a nice pair.

I think the one in the link here is the one that the decals in the Airfix 1/72 one represent (in Borneo):

raaf_129.jpg

I know you prefer to keep your subjects in the good old Nothern Hemisphere, so only a suggestion :).

:goodjob: 

TonyT

SEAC Mosquito, technically northern hemisphere

5626586193_190917312d_o.jpgSEAC Mosquito XVI        1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

"a PR Mosquito from 684 Sqn. with two 100 gallon auxiliary tanks under the wings .Note SEAC blue identification stripes."

I'm amazed no one linked this thread

neat job on a challenging kit,  

cheers

T

• Like 1

Thanks Keith - oooh, bacon butties :Tasty: 

Thanks DAG058 - very kind, and thanks to you for the GB :)

Thanks Troy - that's a great thread with some good reference material; thanks for that. MoNA is very tempting, as is the SEAC XIV, but I'm still trying to stay in my WWII Europe theme; not entirely successfully it must be said!

• Like 1

Great build, Ced! Very impressive result...I have both this kit and the Mk.3 buried in my stash, must admit the prospect of tackling them seems a little daunting looking at parts of this build, but you've shown it can be done. Excellent work...an inspiration.

Best regards,

Jordan

• Like 1

Thanks Jordon, very kind. I seem to be drawn to the short-run kits for the more unusual subjects but there is a lot of messing about to be done. Worth it, in the end, sometimes :) 

Thanks John - yes!! I've started a thread for the Mossie and I've chosen the NF version. One colour, no masking (except the canopy, obviously) and (I've just checked the sprues) no flash! Bliss...

• Like 1

I may as well 'hide' this story here - you know how I like to share...

We've recently had the hot water cylinder replaced and the new one's bigger, so the 'airing cupboard' shelves don't fit. I had some wood mojo this morning so off I went to the wood merchants. I now have wood, fnaar fnaar (may as well get it over and done with). 

A visit to one of the local wood merchants is always a pleasure for me, not only for the smell (love it) but also to see what new madness the management have introduced. Today it's 'no saws'. The staff are not allowed to cut the wood for you OR lend you a saw. Health and Safety gone mad. As there's a snack hut in the car park I may well pop down there at the weekend and just sit in the car park with a bacon butty and watch the poor souls who've bought some timber and now realise it won't fit in the car. Hours of amusement to be had :)

This is the same place where, just after decimalisation (shudder) I went in for some lengths of 2x1. "We can't sell you 12' lengths anymore, after decimalisation we have to sell you 3m". Madness. But wait! Off I went to the timber shed with my chitty and presented it to the nice man. He proceeded to take 12' lengths of wood and, with his saw (things were dangerous in those days and nobody cared) cut a bit off the end of each length. He then looked at the bits he'd cut off and said "You may as well have these". Pathetic.

I also bought some screws, of course. Interesting box - clear window so you can see the screws (handy) and a free screwdriver bit:

33526841536_721277b279_z.jpg

Sorry about that shot, still shaking with laughter. Why? Because the box is obviously specially designed:

33410708102_f444a2edf2_z.jpg

so that when you pull the top off the screws go all over the floor...

• Like 6

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Leon - and thanks again for the sprue soup moulding idea :) 

You're very welcome, though I'd credit you with sending me off in that direction! You had better result with sprue soup than I. Mine seemed to have too many air bubbles... In the end I bought some pouring resin with the Omaryu (spelling?) I achieved some good results. I should probably do a wip....

• Like 1

Thanks Leon - I had a bubble too the first time. Second time around I poked it with a stick.

I must try the Oyumaru (I think that's right) again, one day!

• Like 1

Nice job there, she looks dead sexy!

As for timber merchants, you should come over here. Darn great circular saws and no safety cages/cut-offs/kill switches to be seen!

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1