Hornet Mk.1 - Special Hobby 1/72

CedB

Not too bad actually:

32687320034_56d451d14d_z.jpg

and it's true that the skinny sticks clean with a wipe on your trousers:

32714883343_cbb56d6b73_z.jpg

I now have an old rag - not the trousers, a rag for my 'sanding knee'.

I'll let that dry and then blast on some primer later.

• Like 9

Primed:

33375573892_a7e0cf9546_z.jpg

33148903510_ccbb662294_z.jpg

More work on the nacelles and a couple of bits on the bottom seam but I'll let that dry off.

• Like 16

A really enjoyable several last posts there Ced watching you think your way through the wing fit issues. Get yourself another G&T for that day's work!

:thumbsup:

Tony

• Like 1

Some proper modelling going on here, Ced :clap: I don't think I'll ever the patience you have in bashing these short run kits into submission, really admirable :worthy:

The primer coat shows some more job for PPP, piece of cake for you :winkgrin:

Ciao 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2017 at 8:54 AM, CedB said:

Thanks Jason - glad to have you along and hope you're well? We must have a coffee sometime...

Indeed, though Lennie's is sadly no longer an option! Not doing too badly here, but struggling to find time to work on my Mossie. My paint stinks the place out, so I need to wait until other half and mini-me are safely away...

Hornet is looking smart under the primer; look forward to the paint scheme going on.

J.

• Like 1

Thanks John - a reputation? Oh no, not another one...

Thanks Tony - appreciated, but compared to your detailed planning on the C119, it's nowt!

Thanks Giorgio - more jobs done; see below :) 

Thanks Jason - Oh no, Lennie's has closed? Now where will I go for my bacon baps? Let me know when you're free and we can have a catch up.

Bits sanded and filled and then on with the silver. First pass with Vallejo Model Metallic Aluminium and then variation with Tamiya XF-15 thinned with X-20A. The Vallejo went on really well but the Tamiya, despite being well stirred, looks a bit 'flaky' and appeared to be fizzing when applied (at 10psi 0.2mm nozzle):

33537461275_706fa3826c_z.jpg

33153663440_27f55bf3d7_z.jpg

33497412806_46a11ecdd0_z.jpg

Vallejo on the fuselage, Tamiya on the wing. Weird. I'm going to Flory wash it after the transfers are on and, with the various gloss coats, I'm not too bothered but it is a strange finish.

• Like 11

WOW! That's a hell of an update.:king:

shes looking great, such a good job on the wings. She looked beautiful in primer but now the shiny is on. :clap2:I have never Used Flory washes on silver, I used oil paint on the vamp. It'll work fine but make sure of that thar gloss coat. If it all goes pear shaped you can just wash it all off.

hmmm silver? I might go silver for my next build. :hmmm:

Johnny magpie

• Like 1

So much done in one day! A good day of modelling fun I think :).

I looked at the time you applied the sprue soup; four hours later it was solid enough to turn the model over, another two hours and it was solid enough to be sanded. 

That's pretty fast drying; You must have got the recipe right now. I've never had success; it will never really dry for me (too much glue I guess).

Maybe a very fine micromesh over the Tamiya would help blend in the variation of tones, and help with getting a smooth gloss coat prior to the wash?

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Wow, you really put a dent in my 'like' supply with this one Ced. Lots of ingenuity on display for sure - the wing attachment alone should be in a modelling textbook somewhere!

That's strange about the Tamiya acting like that. Did you happen to spray it over the Vallejo? Perhaps it's the Vallejo reacting the the X-20A. Either way, that's a fantastic looking silver bird.

PS - Glad Molly is back to being herself.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

Proper modelling, Ced! The excess dihedral on this kit has been noted as its fatal flaw, but you seem to be a bit of a resurrection man,

Thanks PC! 

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

WOW! That's a hell of an update.:king:

shes looking great, such a good job on the wings. She looked beautiful in primer but now the shiny is on. :clap2:I have never Used Flory washes on silver, I used oil paint on the vamp. It'll work fine but make sure of that thar gloss coat. If it all goes pear shaped you can just wash it all off.

hmmm silver? I might go silver for my next build. :hmmm:

Johnny magpie

Thanks Johnny - I'll think about oils (I have some Gouache) then... I just want a bit of dirt really, nothing too strong. 

The Silver is actually 'Aluminium' in both ranges... I'm still looking for a 'High Speed Silver' but I'm not sure if that's any different in the end.

8 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

So much done in one day! A good day of modelling fun I think :).

I looked at the time you applied the sprue soup; four hours later it was solid enough to turn the model over, another two hours and it was solid enough to be sanded. 

That's pretty fast drying; You must have got the recipe right now. I've never had success; it will never really dry for me (too much glue I guess).

Maybe a very fine micromesh over the Tamiya would help blend in the variation of tones, and help with getting a smooth gloss coat prior to the wash?

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks TT - to be honest I did sand the soup before it was really dry as, like you, I've had problems getting the mix right and its set hard in the past. I've had a quick Micro-mesh but it hasn't done that much. I've given it a coat of Klear this morning so she's ready for the transfers later.

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, you really put a dent in my 'like' supply with this one Ced. Lots of ingenuity on display for sure - the wing attachment alone should be in a modelling textbook somewhere!

That's strange about the Tamiya acting like that. Did you happen to spray it over the Vallejo? Perhaps it's the Vallejo reacting the the X-20A. Either way, that's a fantastic looking silver bird.

PS - Glad Molly is back to being herself.

Thanks Cookie :) I think you might be right about the thinner and Vallejo - schoolboy error, I'll not mix 'types' again!

Hopefully I'll get the transfers on later and then she'll have to dry overnight before another Klear coat and the weathering. More later.

• Like 4

Good grief, in the time it takes me to open the box and work out which bits are the wings, you've got the thing together, painted and almost ready for decals! Looking very good Mr B.

• Like 3

Just back from a weekend in Hampshire visiting daughter & grand daughter (son in law was away on a stag do in Poland. whatever happened to going to Minehead Butlins for one?!) and as I hate trying to reply on a tablet was just handing out likes like (sorry!) there was no tomorrow & thought I'd catch up today - & the thing is just about done...!! So, rather than witter on anymore I'll just say more marvellous modelling Ced, with some great trailblazing that I'll refer to if I am ever daft enough to dig any of mine out of the stash. I especially appreciate your description of how to rid ourselves of Special Hobby's idea of the dihedral the Hornet doesn't have...!!

Keith

Forgot to say, glad to see Molly is looking like she's back to good health, great news!

• Like 1

Thanks Rob :) Almost ready for decals? Wait no longer...

Thanks Keith and I hope you had a good trip. Apparently it's cheaper to go to Poland than Minehead; go figure! Molly says 'Woof' too :)

Look:

33548702985_68ee83f1bd_c.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I mean, just look. You can see in the background the little bottle of wash I'd mixed up but, sorry guys, I just can't bring myself to do it - she's so shiny, and those chevrons! All is forgiven.

Well almost everything. You know the old saying "Some people never learn". Especially things like 'Don't fit the bomb and rocket racks until after you've applied the markings'. I am an idiot. I looked at the transfer and thought "Oh good, it's in one piece so I won't have to worry about the spacing". Idiot. I managed by cutting the idents up and cutting carefully around the 'X' and then squeezing it between the racks:

33419640561_c38901f86a_z.jpg

I've fitted the props now and 'Bare Metal Foiled' the canopy and she's in the gallery. Note the ejector ports! Here's one I didn't use:

32734835203_938622a884_z.jpg

Thanks everyone, as usual, for your help, support and companionship :)

Tamiya Mossie next, soon. I've deserved a break from all this bashing.

• Like 19

Wait, is this already over?? Slow down a bit, Ced, will you? I can't quite keep up! :D:D

Off to the RFI, once more a great ride :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

That's very nice Ced. These De-Haviland twin engines affairs do look nice in silver. I can see why you didn't do the wash.

I think the word to describe it is: 'resplendent' :).

Silver Mosquitoes look good too. A lot of RAAF ones were silver, so that might be something you'd like to try in the future. They would make a nice pair.

I think the one in the link here is the one that the decals in the Airfix 1/72 one represent (in Borneo):

raaf_129.jpg

I know you prefer to keep your subjects in the good old Nothern Hemisphere, so only a suggestion :).

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 3

Another incredible build Ced! That Gallery shot from head on is awesome - all engine and prop with a bit of plane attached, must have been real fast.

Good call on the wash Ced, it looks great in the clean silver. I like to apply washes with the thinnest brush I have, and only to specific panel lines. For instance, look at Tony's Mosquito pic above, it would only need a little dark wash in the panel lines surrounding the exhaust, and maybe the aileron.

• Like 1

Thank you Gents, very kind :)

Cookie thanks for the tip on 'targeted washes' - I think I'm more comfortable with that than Johnny's 'splash it all over' technique (even if that's what Flory say too!)

Slight apologies for the build rate - my circumstances are such that I need to be 'in the office' (one of our bedrooms) in case 'the team or a client needs me' and, having manoeuvred for a slightly early retirement (I hope) I have little else to do except monitor the 'phone and emails for problems that need my attention. I might as well do some modelling while I'm waiting!

I had some rare 'hang something' mojo so the Firefly and Hornet are now in the PPP (named thanks to Adrian; the 'Pretty Post-War Piston') area:

33169862360_acc805221c_z.jpg

Firefly, in formation:

33169862000_15b0e0834f_z.jpg

Apologies for the poorly lit pictures - the wicker lampshades cast weird shadows so I don't turn the lights on!

• Like 12